iPad Pro iPad Pro Screen Issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Even Longer, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Hi guys,

I just discovered a very annoying issue on my iPad Pro's screen: there is a spot in the upper area near isight camera (where the clock is displayed on the lock screen), which reacts with lcd pressure distortion even on lightest touch. With normal tap or stylus distortion gets very visible and annoying.

I made some pictures and video, demonstrating that issue.
    @All iPad pro owners: can you confirm that on your devices or I just got a defect one?

Video here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7937965/ABBB6866.mov

Thanks a lot in advance!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

Yep, absolutely defective. Mine does not do that in any way/shape/form.

4. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I can't replicate; just touched every inch of my screen and I see nothing like that unless I really push with some force on the screen (made me cringe when I tried it).

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

7. Even Longer thread starter macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Thank you all! Going to return it tomorrow.

8. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I'm having similar problems - not as bad. But noticeable with a very light touch in certain areas.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Use a darker wallpaper. That ought to fix it...

10. robydiamond macrumors newbie

Yesterday at the Apple Store in Milan I have replaced my iPad pro for the same defect.

11. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Have two units right now (one is going to someone else, I'm not that crazy) and they both show some LCD distortion at certain points on the screen (different areas, except both showing the effect on the right side corners).

Our ideas of light pressure may differ though. It doesn't seem to happen with light touches, but I wouldn't say it requires excessive force either. If you're seeing it with touches you'd describe as "gentle" I would say it's not normal.

12. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

gonna test mine later on this evening, although not sure it's "normal usage" thumping on the screen like that....

13. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

there's nothing gentle about it, see video :cool:

14. craggle macrumors newbie

I too have this issue, down the middle of the screen, normal pressure causes the lcd ripple effect in two places.

I'm worried that once my pencil arrives the extra pressure will make it worse.

I think I'm going to exchange it.

15. flux73, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

flux73 macrumors 65816

Nope, nothing like this. However, if I press really hard in the center of my screen, I can see a brief ripple after I lift my finger off. I don't consider this a defect though. Be realistic people. This is a really large piece of really thin glass. Thin glass will flex - can't violate the laws of physics - and this will probably cause some image changes. As long as it isn't permanent, I won't sweat it. Try it out on any large LCD screen - your other iPads, your TV, your Macbook/other notebook. Heck, even your iPhone will if you push hard enough.

That said, the OP's looks like it may be a real defect. It shouldn't distort on light pressure or from using a stylus.

16. fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

Yeah as I said and just following up after checking my iPad Pro this is definitely a defect and you should get it exchanged. I can press as hard as I can and nothing even similar happens on my screen

17. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Just noticed this problem on my iPad Pro but on the opposite side of the screen. Looking at the iFixit teardown the locations appear to match up with screws holding down the EMI shield covering the logicboard. I suspect some haven't been screwed down completely.

18. Branskins macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if I believe this. I have seen it on display units and I have it on mine when I draw with the pencil hard.

Does anyone have word from Apple if this is a defect?

19. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

I simply don't believe that.

It happens on all the iPad Air 2's and iPad Pro's that I have used - especially along the edges of the screen. But it does not happen when touching the display normally - only when you press a bit hard with you finger or pencil. And when the devices are so thin and large, I guess it is almost impossible not to get some sort of distortion when pressing hard on the display.

20. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

For people who are concerned: It won't do any harm. There's an ancient internet warning about damaging LCD panels by touching them, but this mainly applies to exposed LCD panels (which you won't see unless you're taking a device apart).

If you're ever had a matte LCD panel (older MBPs, lots of desktop monitors) you might have noticed that these panels just have a soft screen protector over the LCD layer. You can distort the screen by pressing into it, but good luck causing any damage without putting in a serious effort (or whacking it with the corner of something).

Try pressing on a Surface Pro screen if you want to see real panel distortion. That glass is like plastic wrap.

21. fm_carv, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

fm_carv macrumors member

fm_carv

What do you mean you don't believe it?

I'm saying to you that my iPad Pro doesn't have any distortion on the screen when I press hard on it.

if you or anyone else doesn't believe this its your problem mate....

22. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

You claimed that you don't get any distortion when pressing hard on the screen. Please record a video of it so you can prove all of us wrong...

23. Branskins macrumors 65816

I don't have a problem but you are the only one saying you don't see it. I fear everyone obsessing over this thinking it's a problem and then exchanging many times only to keep seeing it

24. Even Longer, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

Even Longer thread starter macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Here comes an update. I got the above unit replaced and also received two more iPads Pro for my company.

My observations so far:

- replacement unit has a small white spot on the screen, shining brighter than the rest, looks like a big dead pixel but inside out. Seems to be common on many iPads before and is quite annoying, especially on a white background.

- absolute all units (4 in total) had the distortion issue in some degree, but on the new arrived iPads have the pressure sensitive spots all in the lower part of the screen, not on top (like the first one).

Conclusion:

- all tested iPads Pro were sensitive even to light pressure.

- the first one from my initial post was definitely defect, because the sensitivity was extreme (even on lightest touches).

25. azing macrumors 6502

From the iPads I've seen I've noticed the distortion you refer to to some degree. Both my wife and I have an iPad Pro each and both exhibit the issue in certain areas when applying pressure. I think mine is worse though since applying light pressure with the pencil in a similar area shown in the image in your original post gives the distortion/rippling. I've got a genius appointment booked for Monday but I'm wondering if it's even worth it if most have this to some degree... :(