DELL compares its prices with Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilo777, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilo777 macrumors 603

Dell created special site (called - Back to School - Apples to Apples comparison) where they compare their prices vs Macs (laptops, desktops and software). No surprises there:

Processor Intel® CoreTM i7 Intel® CoreTM i7 Intel® CoreTM i7 Intel® CoreTM i5
    Color Available in 6 colors Silver Available in 6 colors Silver
    Webcam Built-in 2.0MP Built-in iSight Built-in 2.0MP Built-in iSight
    Screen 15.6” TrueLifeTM 15.4” Glossy 17.3” TrueLifeTM 17” Glossy
    Memory 4GB1 4GB 4GB1 4GB
    Hard Drive 500GB2 500GB 500GB2 500GB
    Graphics Mem. 1GB1 512MB 1GB1 512MB
    Software Windows® Live Essentials iLife® Windows® Live Essentials iLife®
    Warranty 1 Year Limited3
    1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection 1 Year Limited 1 Year Limited3
    1Yr LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection 1 Year Limited
    Price $1348.99 $2,199 $1268.99 $2,299
    Discount $399 $0 $219 $0
    Total $949.99 $2,199 $1049.99 $2,299
    Savings: $1249 Buy Now! $1249 Buy Now!

Full details - here.

2. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

let's see if i can put this into words as simply as i have it in my mind...

"***** Dell..I paid way too much for my last piece of ***** laptop that I bought from them and it died within two years of use. I couldn't be happier with my MBP 13" (I've had it for two weeks.)"

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Fair comparison and it will come down to two things:

Battery Life (I think Apple/OS X takes this category)
    Design (Again, totally preference but many will take the MacBook Pro design over the Studio design)
    Operating System (personal preference)

Nothing new here, almost every company will advertise that their computer is cheaper option and in most cases it's true but will ultimately come down to those 3 factors I mentioned above.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Funny how they don't list the extra things like Bluetooth, WiFi N, backlite kayboard, etc. That's where Macs and Windows computers come to equal prices.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

802.11n is pretty much the standard these days, so there's no difference there. A bluetooth chip and LEDs under the keyboard really aren't worth much in part value, not even the $50 combined cost for the two which seems to be the norm for most manufacturers offering both.

Things like that certainly make the gap less huge, but there's no way that it brings them to equal prices.

6. GetJafix macrumors newbie

^^^

I also looked at the depreciation of the hardware. Mac's resale value is really high, when the hardware differences are minor.

People are fed just as much bull about Mac computers as they are PC. People buy whatever they're sold, and like what others like. The marketing works.

7. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

For me the difference maker between the two laptops is the addition of magsafe on the macbooks. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over the power cord.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. I'm tired of all the Mac vs. Windows BS. You pick an OS because it's better for you. I'm not saying Windows is better than Mac or vice versa but it's annoying when you walk into a Best Buy and the rep comes up to you selling Mac's saying it's better than Windows because of this and that.

It's like Patron. Is it overhyped? Definitely. It's not the best tequila like many believe it is but by no means is it a bad tequila, it's just a product of mass marketing that worked very well.

9. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Dell has some sort of deal with my school to give "discounts" to students entering and recommends laptops that we'll need.
    The min price laptop they recommend is $1,800
    I laughed at them and got myself a mbp for cheaper that I know for a fact will handle everything I'll need to do. Can't wait to see how many people actually fell for dell crap when classes start in a few weeks.

10. Xenophon macrumors regular

Silly statement...why don't you come back in two years and tell us about it then. I had my macbook 18 months now, had to replace the battery out of warranty (100 USD) and now the superdrive failed. Replacing it where I'm located will cost me a couple of 100 USD if I choose to do so.

I think the choice boils down to
    a) the OS (OS/X still having the edge imho but windows 7 is closing fast)
    b) the design. No contest there, Apple wins hands down.

If you look only at the tech specs, reliability and take the price into the equation then you'd have to be crazy to buy Apple, even with the higher resale value.

11. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

I would argue that the OS isn't important since you can use bootcamp to run windows 7. I think price is really the only determining factor, that is of course I'm missing something.

12. dmx macrumors 6502

I have a inspiron 6400 core duo that has ran strong for 4 years now - no problems. Obviously not up to par with a Mac design / build quality wise.

13. mark28 macrumors 68000

Macbook & Macbook Pro's are now the best selling laptops in the USA among students. So no suprise Windows and now Dell decided to do a Pc vs Mac thing :p

14. StephenHuang macrumors newbie

StephenHuang

God they do it again!!

Please do not compare apple to banana....:D

15. ashy7 macrumors newbie

802.11n may be standard, but it is not on the Dell machines. The parts may be cheap to make, but if you actually add them to the Dell laptops in the build your own laptop bit, then you will find that it does considerably narrow the difference in price.

16. alskdj macrumors member

Yeah right. Dell's add-on prices have yet to reach Apple's absurd levels. The gap may be narrowed slightly, considerably is far-fetched. I still find it hard to believe some people won't admit that Macs have a pretty high premium.

17. ashy7 macrumors newbie

The Mac does have a premium, it is a premium product.

Have you actually tried to build a Dell with exactly the same specs as the Mac, including the parts mentioned above?

18. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

is it me or does not one of these 'xyz vs apple' price comparisons ever include things like resale value etc?

Can you get 60%+ back on a dell or Acer after 3-4yrs ?

and also they can never be a true and fair comparison in the same way as comparing a petrol vrs diesel car - they are not the same (yes they can do much of the same but at the core they are different).

I have a few recent converts locally having lost their hard disks and seeing my macs all syncing to mobile.me and time machine - when I show them the G3 still kicking and the prices of some of the 2-3yr old machines on ebay I get stunned looks (esp when I tell them their 18month old Acer laptop is good for doorstop duty only).

19. alskdj macrumors member

No, I have not built a Dell that has exactly the same specs as a Mac. Since you appear to have done so, would you mind showing me, and how considerably the price gap is reduced by? Many thanks.

20. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

That's funny. It's like the Kia website saying "look how cheaper our s**tty cars are compared to a Rolls-Royce!"

Except a Kia would last a lot longer than a Dell. And keep more of it's value.

21. ashy7 macrumors newbie

I built one a few weeks ago to see what the difference in price would be to the 13" Macbook pro. There wasn't a big one.

Also, the Dell price includes a discount. I am guessing that as it is a back to school offer, it is an education discount. If you add the 15% Apple Higher Education discount, Free iPod touch and printer, then I reckon the prices would be quite similar!

22. mcnicks macrumors regular

Seems a bit unfair to include their Back To School discount on their laptop prices but put a $0 discount against the list price of the Macbook Pros, particularly since they are making a big deal of the "comparing apples to apples" thing.

23. mcnicks macrumors regular

Also, looking at the Dell laptop configuration pages, they are offering the 1.6GHz and 1.86GHz Core i7 processors on the Studio 15 laptops, whereas Apples Core i7 offering is 2.66GHz.

Hardly "apples to apples" ...

24. alskdj macrumors member

mm, if you include the rebates, I guess so, esp with the 13" ones =0 My opinion is that the base model 13" is the most reasonably priced, as mentioned before, Apple gouges you on the upgrades i.e. +300 to gain .26Ghz and 70gb hard drive, and pretty much +200 to go up in screen size, which no other manufacturer seems to do :S. The Dell Studio XPS 13" I owned last year was priced similarly to the 16" model, the trade off being extra weight but more power. With Apple, you pay more to receive the same trade off

25. Sequin macrumors regular

Top selling brand, but 75% of people still buy a PC over a Mac. They're cheaper and that makes parents happier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.