Dell Mini 9, MSI Wind, or Acer Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Dec 12, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've been looking at the netbooks recently. Normally I'm a Asus fan, but I think these 3 are better. Now which one?

I don't care about OS, but I'll be install XP. I know the Dell has bluetooth, but it costs about $50 more than the others. I'll be getting the base configuration.

What do y'all think?

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i vote for the MSI Wind. It plays better with OS X if you ever want to install it.

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

None of the above...

Samsung NC10 - Looks how an Apple Netbook would look (well, looks like an iBook) and has a better build quality than the AAO or MSI Wind and is a little cooler than the Dell.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry I don't buy Samsung. But thanks though!

6. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Haha, fair enough there matey... What if GE sell the E to Samsung, would SamEsung make it any easier? Although keep an open mind :)

7. descartes macrumors 6502

I found the kb on the dell to be unusable. the build quality, hvr, was amazing considering the price. The asus does not seem nearly as solid. I dont like the side trackpad buttons on the other ones. If you dont want the samsung, consider the lenovo.

8. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I'd get a 12in iBook G4. They're cheap, easy to use, plays nice with its other mac friends, and it looks wicked cool if you take the case off and use rubbing alcohol to make it clear.

9. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I already have a 12" PowerBook; I'm looking for something under the 3 lb range, something that I can carry around in a small bag. I used to have a Sony PictureBook. That thing was great. Damn I'm getting nostalgic.

Anyways, thanks I don't think I need another G4-based machine.

Looks like people are leaning for the MSI...

10. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I just went through the same deliberation and settled on the Dell. I believe everything except sleep works in OS X on the Dell (sleep works with an aftermarket SSD), while sound is wonky on the Wind, and the line in doesn't work.

I'll probably run Ubuntu on the Dell, but would like to know that I can whichever OS I want.

11. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The Aspire One is a really nice pc. (Typing on it now)

12. cube macrumors G5

Lenovo IdeaPad S10. It has an ExpressCard slot. $349 or $399.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A White MSi Wind looks just like an iBook anyway, and the keyboard is very comfortable (apart from the shift and the up arrow key alignment).

I have upgraded mine to 2GB and it runs Vista Home Premium very well indeed.

The new turbo feature allows you to overclock the processor to just under 2ghz

Great little machine.... so much so, I sold my MacBook Air after getting it as it was more than capable of doing the same jobs I used the air for.

I have tried MSi Wind OSX on it, and whilst it 'works' it doesn't really 'work' as a mac. Speedstep is a bugger to get working even with coolbook controller installed. And then there are a myriad other issues that come into play because it's a hackintosh too. Hence I went back to windows for my netbook experience.

14. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

That's good to have; will check that one out.

I will only buy the 8.9" models. I don't want a 10" computer. I already have 12.1" tablet, but it's kind of heavy.

To be honest, I probably won't install OS X on it.

---

The idea is to get something light and compact and cheap. I'm pretty much looking to get a throw-around computer (something that can take some abuse and get stuff done).

15. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I'd get the Acer then. Why don't you buy from Samsung btw? (Just wondering.)

16. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I just checked the Lenovo U10… looks really nice, but it's got a 10" screen :(

Anyone know the actual battery life on these units? (Acer, Asus, MSI, Dell, etc.)

17. cube macrumors G5

If you want ExpressCard in 8.9", you will have to look at the Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Mini, for example.

18. cube macrumors G5

I think you might be misled if you only look at the screen size instead of the weight.

19. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Integrated ExpressCard isn't a must; it just sparked my interest ;)

-----

Anyways, I think I might just run to Best Buy to buy it; too lazy to have it shipped online.

Looks like they only have the Asus, MSI, and Acer… Oh how's the HP one?

20. cube macrumors G5

Some trackpads might be too small. The HP might have an adequate one, but I think the buttons are left and right of it.

21. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Its the best designed laptop HP has made in years. Its a bit overly expensive for its class, but its feature rich and its keyboard sucks less than most HP keyboards.

22. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

That's really hard for me to imagine because I've been only using Thinkpads before the Mac (and we all know Thinkpads have the best keyboards).

I just noticed that 10" isn't really much bigger than the 8.9" (I thought it was 8" before!).

23. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Common HP keyboards are shiny and awful, with poor key recognition, and their finish is absolutely undesirable. The 2133's have a nicer finish on the keyboard, and the keys aren't funny shapes. Its still HP. Its still not an IBM, not a mac, not that great, but its better than I expected.

24. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

You may want to consider the HP Mini-Note 2133 from TigerDirect. They are selling the top-of-the-line model (six cell battery with Vista Business SP1 and 2 GB RAM) for $399 after rebate from HP. This model costs over $700 when it first came out.

It is made from aluminum instead of plastic. It has the highest resolution 8.9" screen in a netbook. The keyboard is absolutely best in class with a great feel and durable finish. And it has an Expresscard slot.

Downside - the 1.6 Ghz Via processor is slower than the Atom, but it isn't that bad. I'm typing on it now. Works with Aero settings fine. Just don't expect to do two or three things on it at the same time. You can always put XP or Linux on it if you don't like Vista.

There are rumors of a new Mini-Note coming in January, so HP must be dumping inventory.

(Note - Don't get confused with the HP Mini 1000. It is almost the same design as the Mini-Note, but it is made with plastic, has a 10", but lower resolution screen, no ExpressCard slot, but an Atom processor.)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3839833&Sku=H24-KX870

25. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Looks like a great deal, but that VIA processor is gonna be painful under Vista.