Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Looks like a great deal, but that VIA processor is gonna be painful under Vista.

It's not peppy, but it's also not quite as bad as some might think. Just depends on what you want to do with it. Bootup is definitely slow, but I just use hibernate or sleep modes when I can.

When it first came out there were many issues with video, but with Vista Service Pack 1 and improved VIA drivers, many of those issues have been resolved. YouTube, SlingBox - all play back fine. However, try to do something else, and immediately the machine slows down.

If you don't like Vista, there's always XP or Linux. Easier to change the software versus the hardware.

I haven't tried it, but I read where Windows 7 beta runs on it very well, and one user installed a Samsung SSD hard drive and reported excellent Vista performance. When a 128 GB SSD becomes more affordable, and Windows 7 is out of beta next year, this machine should rock. In the meantime, the current configuration is very usable for Internet, email, and Office work.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
There's only one netbook I think is passable as not a toy, but a "real" computer. The Lenovo S10. It has a 10.2' screen and a nice tactile keyboard. Only drawback is the small trackpad; I was using my dad's test model and I was too accustomed to my MacBook's bigger trackpad that I touched the spacebar and the keys. The design beats all of the others. Except maybe the HP mini, but Lenovo's stuff is great quality. They make business-class notebooks.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You know, an IBM netbook would be wonderful.

Hell it there was a Thinkpad netbook, I'd pick that one immediately!

The HP 2133 looks really nice. However I've never used a VIA processor before. From what I read it's pretty usable... Hopefully they release a version with a Atom processor.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
HP has put an order for the new VIA Nano CPUs.

Atom might be faster than the C7, but it's not so great: it is currently bogged down by an old power-hungry chipset.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
The Aspire One is a really nice pc. (Typing on it now)

I looked at one today, single 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom Processor, 1 gig of RAM, 120 GB hard drive, ethernet, 3 usb ports, audio in, audio out, a couple of mini ports for cameras/video, traditional VGA out port, Windows XP, a couple of browsers, word pad, MS Office trial, and some other bundled software full versions or trials. $349.00 dollars.

When I saw this it was not bad, but an external super drive would cost $99 dollars from 3rd party maker. I think 2.2 to 2.5 pounds with 9" inch LCD.

Though I use my iBook for word processing/school and mini Mac for internet/e-mail, I would consider another Mac but there's no reason since I don't do games or Adobe/Macromedia suites/digital video.

I think this particular Acer, as opposed to the Eee PC or the semi-compact 4 lb. models, isn't a bad machine for basic internet/e-mail/word processing/solitaire/light games/photoshop elements/MS Office. I so wish it were a Mac, even at $499, but this Acer looks like a real winner all the way around.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So…

After returning from Microcenter, I looked at the Acer, the Asus, the MSI, and the HP.

I was thinking I may install OS X on the Wind if I did choose that.

I saw the HP and I couldn't get myself to like the trackpad button placements. Can't really one hand click on that. Acer was nice too. I didn't really like the Asus. So pretty much I settled for the MSI Wind. Plus it was $50 off, so it only came to $300. I got a RAM upgrade, so I think I'm pretty much set.

I'm going to order the Broadcom wireless card and then I'll install OS X.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I'm running OS X on a Dell 9 with 2gb ram and it works beautifully (except sleep, I have insomniaX running). Very quick, never any stalls. Boots just as fast as my 3ghz iMac, if not faster. Completely silent. Bought mine for $279 from the Dell Outlet - I am very happy!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
So…

After returning from Microcenter, I looked at the Acer, the Asus, the MSI, and the HP.

I was thinking I may install OS X on the Wind if I did choose that.

I saw the HP and I couldn't get myself to like the trackpad button placements. Can't really one hand click on that. Acer was nice too. I didn't really like the Asus. So pretty much I settled for the MSI Wind. Plus it was $50 off, so it only came to $300. I got a RAM upgrade, so I think I'm pretty much set.

I'm going to order the Broadcom wireless card and then I'll install OS X.
I think I read somewhere that you can get a driver for the card in the amchine now instead of having to buy a new card. Is that right?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I think I read somewhere that you can get a driver for the card in the amchine now instead of having to buy a new card. Is that right?

Oh well. I already ordered the card. Besides I prefer Broadcom wireless chipsets to the Realtek and Atheros chipsets.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Now now. Let's not insult each other. I don't want my help thread locked. :p

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Congratulations on your MSI Wind. Personally, I would have chosen between the Wind and S10. The rest seem like toys: Asus EEE has a cheap trackpad, HP Mini is overprice, with underpowered CPU and weird trackpad, etc.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Good luck with the Wind, it's a really nice little unit. Working sleep in OS X is great, as is the 1 disk installation process (if you get ahold of the disk.)

I think a 10" screen (plus the keyboard that comes along with it) is really the minimum size to be considered usable. You can touch type on a 10" netbook, would seem hard to do on a 9".

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Excellent choice! I have a wind running os x and other than having to use a USB dongle for audio in/out (the regular ports don't work under os x), I couldn't be happier. I would recommend ordering one of the new 9 cell batteries as the 3 cell won't get more than a couple hours under normal use.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Would have gone for the Dell 9 or the Acer Aspire One myself but hope you enjoy the MSI Wind.

Going to be interesting to see if Apple release a netbook, I cant see it myself but I wouldn't write the possibility of either.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
There's only one netbook I think is passable as not a toy, but a "real" computer. The Lenovo S10.

That was my second choice behind the HP. In fact, one day after I received my HP, Lenovo dropped the price of the S10. I might've went with that one if the price was the same as the HP when I ordered it.

The HP and the Lenovo are the only two that have ExpressCard slots. That makes these netbooks a lot more versatile than the others, IMO.

I also like the Samsung NC-10, because it seems to have much better battery life than the others, without compromising on the screen and keyboard.

I had an interest in netbooks, but thought I didn't need really need one because of my MacBook. Now, with the direction Apple is taking with the MacBook line, I decided to protect my laptop as long as possible by taking it out only when I need to, and use the Mini-Note as my throw-around, take practically everywhere machine. And for that role, these things are useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.