Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I'm assuming you have a 15" rMBP and no the 13"?

Also: anyone here who can share how to get 52hz on the late 2013 13" rMBP?

I don't think it's possible in El Capitan any longer. People were doing it with SwitchResX on Yosemite. I'm running 30hz with El Cap.

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
I finally got my P2715Q and have a few questions:

1. Calibration - Out of box was ok but did not match the thunderbolt display I have, I have calibrated with the "Expert Mode" calibration, but still seems a little but "yellow" compared to my TB Display. Any ideas?
2. I am running at "2560x1440 HiDpi" mode, what are others running at? I kind of like it like this as it is still sharp and the desktop space matches the TB display.
3. I am getting 4k res at 60Hz (3840x2160 @ 60Hz) with SST on my late 2013 rMBP (with nVidia GFX). Is that optimal config?
4. Any other settings I should change "out of the box"
5. I have 1 dead (not stuck/bright) pixel, will Dell replace it? I got it via B&H.
My dead pixel fixed itself! I guess it was stuck (despite being black)

Nightbreezer

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2016
Hi,

I just updated my Mac to 10.11.4 and now the USB hub at my P2415Q doesn't work any more. Somebody else with the problem?

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2010
Having some trouble with my p2415q today.
Got home, gave the monitor a hard power reset and everything seems to be working normally. Has anyone else had to do this to their monitor to get it working correctly?

Yes, I have to do this from time to time... I power off the monitor via the button each night... Occasionally when powering back on via the button, I get no display and have to unplug the monitor's power cable.

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

I just updated my Mac to 10.11.4 and now the USB hub at my P2415Q doesn't work any more. Somebody else with the problem?
I use the USB hub with an Amazon basics USB 3.0 cable and I have no issues since upgrading. I even use the dell speaker that mounts to the bottom of the screen and I have no issues with that either.
Yes, I have to do this from time to time... I power off the monitor via the button each night... Occasionally when powering back on via the button, I get no display and have to unplug the monitor's power cable.
I haven't had any more issues with mine, glad to know it works for you as well.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I'm running the 2415Q @ 52Hz on El Capitan (Late 2013 13" MBP). You need to turn off System Integrity Protection to save custom resolutions.

http://cl.ly/141B0809291V

So what's the process? Disable SIP - then how do you create/save the custom resolution? I can't install the custom resolution.
[doublepost=1459186870][/doublepost]
I'm running the 2415Q @ 52Hz on El Capitan (Late 2013 13" MBP). You need to turn off System Integrity Protection to save custom resolutions.

http://cl.ly/141B0809291V

Nevermind I got it working. I had to create another user profile and reboot to get it to save the custom profile. It says i'm 51hz but honestly it feels exactly like 30hz. Don't seem notice any difference between 51 and 30hz, it's still bad. I just turned MST off as well. What setting do you have for MST?

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
After a full day running the 2415Q @ 51hz I've gone back to 30hz. Performance is exactly the same between 30 and 51hz - maybe someone more technical can explain why. The only difference is my laptop runs insanely hot all the time at 51hz while it's normally very cool at 30hz.

marcomartins

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Hello guys,

I'm thinking on buying this monitor (24" version) to pair with my 2015 MBPr 15", although I have a few questions that hope that someone can help me with:

- Will the scaled option work better than in the MBPr?
I'm asking this because in my MBPr the "retina" resolution is hardware rendered when the other resolutions are software rendered and this make me not being able to use my mac not being in the retina resolution. I've tried several times to user the 1050p resolution but within 20 minutes I start with headaches. I read somewhere that due to the software render of image it becomes blurred although you can notice because of the big resolution of the display and that produces the headaches and eyes problems. The truth is that everyone at my office that used their mac with scaled resolutions at some point noticed this, and one of them had to start using glasses.
I currently use a dell u2415 at my work station that has 1920x1200 so I guess that the p2415q at "retina" (which is 1080p) will work good for me. I wish the p2415 was 16:10 instead of 16:9 like the one I'm using at work.

- Is this monitor good to edit photos? I read that yes, but I would like to get more opinions.

- and finally: is there any better option in this price range?

Thank you very much for this guys!

wakele

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
After a full day running the 2415Q @ 51hz I've gone back to 30hz. Performance is exactly the same between 30 and 51hz - maybe someone more technical can explain why. The only difference is my laptop runs insanely hot all the time at 51hz while it's normally very cool at 30hz.
I am using 4k at 52hz in Yosemite and you can feel a BIG difference. It was impossible for me to get 52hz with El capitán so I stuck in Yosemite (why to move if everything works good enough?).
I am using a mac mini though...

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I am using 4k at 52hz in Yosemite and you can feel a BIG difference. It was impossible for me to get 52hz with El capitán so I stuck in Yosemite (why to move if everything works good enough?).
I am using a mac mini though...

I didn't have this monitor with Yosemite so I can't comment. I did get 52Hz working in El Capitan but like I said, performance was exactly the same as 30Hz and the laptop was extremely hot the entire time. I'd like to know what others say on El Cap.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Hello guys,

I'm thinking on buying this monitor (24" version) to pair with my 2015 MBPr 15", although I have a few questions that hope that someone can help me with:

- Will the scaled option work better than in the MBPr?
I'm asking this because in my MBPr the "retina" resolution is hardware rendered when the other resolutions are software rendered and this make me not being able to use my mac not being in the retina resolution. I've tried several times to user the 1050p resolution but within 20 minutes I start with headaches. I read somewhere that due to the software render of image it becomes blurred although you can notice because of the big resolution of the display and that produces the headaches and eyes problems. The truth is that everyone at my office that used their mac with scaled resolutions at some point noticed this, and one of them had to start using glasses.
I currently use a dell u2415 at my work station that has 1920x1200 so I guess that the p2415q at "retina" (which is 1080p) will work good for me. I wish the p2415 was 16:10 instead of 16:9 like the one I'm using at work.

- Is this monitor good to edit photos? I read that yes, but I would like to get more opinions.

- and finally: is there any better option in this price range?

Thank you very much for this guys!

The eye strain is not blurry scaling. You can test this by taking pictured of the screen close up. You will see text and screen objects remain sharp regardless of scale.

It is most likely that anyone using scaling is increasing the resolution and therefore making text smaller. In your example you run a scaled 1080p resolution on your 13 or 15" laptop, so the text is smaller, which you may struggle to read and therefore tiring your eyes. This would be the same for a native 1080p laptop screen of the same size. Also small text may require glasses to read so that explains that part.

If you want to run a larger resolution you could go with the P2715Q which when scaled could simulate 1440p but on a larger 27" screen. 1440p on a 27" screen is very good for text readability.

marcomartins

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
The eye strain is not blurry scaling. You can test this by taking pictured of the screen close up. You will see text and screen objects remain sharp regardless of scale.

It is most likely that anyone using scaling is increasing the resolution and therefore making text smaller. In your example you run a scaled 1080p resolution on your 13 or 15" laptop, so the text is smaller, which you may struggle to read and therefore tiring your eyes. This would be the same for a native 1080p laptop screen of the same size. Also small text may require glasses to read so that explains that part.

If you want to run a larger resolution you could go with the P2715Q which when scaled could simulate 1440p but on a larger 27" screen. 1440p on a 27" screen is very good for text readability.

Thank you very much for your answers!

Regarding the resolution and headaches at first I thought the problem might be that and increased the font size to become practically the same of retina, and after some time the problem appeared. All I do is code so I basically look at text. This might be just a felling but as soon as I turn the retina off I feel that my eyes start to have some strain, and this happened the first time I did it and before any search online etc. I fear that the same happens with non retina resolution of the external screen.

Yes for the difference I might go with the 27", I wish it had more resolution than the 24" thought, I'm just buying bigger text not more work space.

paka22

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
I know this is an old post, but I find myself in the same position you were when you wrote this. I have a brand new p2415q on my desk, and I love it but I find myself wondering if a p2715q would be sharp enough with the added bonus of the extra screen size. What did you end up going with? What resolutions do you run at? Is the 1920x1080 hidpi resolution on the 27 inch screen still "retina-like" or does it start to get fuzzy?

Okay I ended up ordering a P2715Q to put side by side against my P2415Q because seemingly no one has done this before to compare...?

Bottom line, you can totally tell the difference between the P2415Q's 180ppi and the P2715Q's 160ppi. I'm not sure which one I like better. I definitely appreciate the size of the 27" but the 24" is a solid step in the retina direction that I'll miss when using the 27". At normal desktop viewing distance, the 27 is still amazing compared to a 2560x1440 display.

I also noticed that the color was much more accurate on my P2415, and the P2715 took quite a bit of tweaking to get close enough. P2415Q is also brighter (and warmer) at the same brightness setting than the P2715Q. Other than that, no difference. I got one catastrophically defective A00 model at first, but my replacement is an A03 and my P2715 is an A02. Both have no sleep/wake issues, and both have pretty significant glow at the bottom left/right corners that only shows up on pure black. The panels are rated at 8ms (24") and 9ms (27") response time, but hours of Battlefield 4 on both proved that I couldn't tell the difference.

I think I'm gonna keep the 27" and return the 24", but I've got another few days to decide.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I know this is an old post, but I find myself in the same position you were when you wrote this. I have a brand new p2415q on my desk, and I love it but I find myself wondering if a p2715q would be sharp enough with the added bonus of the extra screen size. What did you end up going with? What resolutions do you run at? Is the 1920x1080 hidpi resolution on the 27 inch screen still "retina-like" or does it start to get fuzzy?

Some people can't tell.. but I found the p24 to be more retina-like than the p27. With that said, the p27 is still great for the price but the p24 is a bit more crisp to me so I went with the 24".

paka22

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
Great, thanks! That's interesting to hear. I'm loving the resolution on the p24 as well.
Some people can't tell.. but I found the p24 to be more retina-like than the p27. With that said, the p27 is still great for the price but the p24 is a bit more crisp to me so I went with the 24".

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
I have a 27inch model and I usually run it 1080p HiDPI, and higher res when I'm doing more productivity..Its still crispy and sharp(Retina quality) with the "larger" display. The 27 was nice for me, because it mimics my older 27 inch iMac which I'm used to. Either way, the display is worth it at both screen sizes

milleron

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Great, thanks! That's interesting to hear. I'm loving the resolution on the p24 as well.

Paka22, I sure wish you had an opportunity to compare the 24" and 27" side by side. I have the 27" as an auxiliary monitor for my iMac 5K. It's scaled to 2560 x 1440, and it definitely is "retina-quality" to my eyes. This was not the case with a TN 4K I tried when they first became available. No setting or scaling would make it Retina-like. In fact the quality seemed a bit worse than my older 27" 2560x1440 IPS that I was replacing. I took it back and continued using the old 2560x1440 monitor. When Dell released the IPS-screen P2715Q, I bought one and found a world of difference between the TN 4K monitor and the older 2560x1440. I have gone so far as to look at it through a low-power magnifying glass, and I'm still hard pressed to tell the difference between the P2715Q and my 5K iMac display.
There may be users who actually have a need for a display sharper than the P2715Q offers, but as an owner who is not a professional photographer or graphic designer, it's just a little difficult to imagine what that need is. As someone who spends a lot of time at the computer, I mainly needed the superior text resolution one gets from Retina displays. Anything less is fatiguing, but I can, and have, looked at the P2715Q all day without eye problems. Therefore, if you would be happier with the larger screen but do not need a professional-quality display like the Dell 5K, I hope you continue to consider the P2715Q (which I'd consider to be "prosumer" in quality). I think it's well worth the cost.

Reactions: jf1450

Nueve

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Is anyone else having 'burn in' issues with the P2715Q?
4b31a93da8a5579317f202e3690a0dff.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.