Dell release MBP clone! (yawn)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PracticalMac, Nov 1, 2011.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Dell XPS 14z.

• Thin laptop PC (0.9”/23mm) with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium; anodized aluminum and magnesium alloy palmrest in dark gray
    • 2nd-generation Intel Core i5 and Core i7 Dual Core processor choices
    • Standard HD (720p) WLED with TrueLife and edge-to-edge glass (1366x768)
    • Fast NVIDIA graphics option including NVIDIA Optimus technology: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M with 1GB graphics memory[iii]
    • 6GB dual channel DDR3 up to 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz memory options[iv]
    • Fast 7200RPM hard disk storage, from 500GB up to 750GB; 256GB SSD drive option[v]
    • Built-in Slot load DVD +/- RW (reads & writes to CD/DVD)
    • Backlit, spill-resistant Chiclet keyboard
    • Built-in Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity[vi]
    • Intel Wireless Display-ready
    • Up to 6 hours, 42 minutes of battery life with 8-cell battery[viii]
    • USB 3.0 (1), USB 2.0 (1), HDMI 1.4 (1), RJ-45 (1), Mini Display-Port and microphone/audio connectors
    • Built-in 1.3MP HD Webcam with dual array digital microphones and stereo speakers
    • Dimensions: Height: 0.9” (23mm) / Width: 13.19” (335mm) / Depth 9.21” (234mm); Weight: starting at 4.36lbs (1.98 kg)

Took how many years to make a truly portable PC laptop? :p

Looks to be descent specs, priced from $999 , hopeful (but not expecting) Apple would counter that price point, perhaps the low end 13" (with lesser specs and Intel graphics, practically a MB) for $999, or even $1099?

2. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

Dell joining the ultrabook race!!

I have to say that the aesthetics actually looks pretty good, but I still wouldn't buy a Dell.

3. windowstomac macrumors regular

...how ever it may look....it's still a Windows PC and not a Mac :D

4. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Ew ew and eww.

It might be "trying" to copy the MBP, but its not coming close. That thing is ugly.

And yes, it's still a PC ;)

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The panel is crap. If I'd get a dell, it would be a 15z or xps 15 with the decent 1080p panels.

6. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

if its anything like the last gen xps a besides the top case/palm rest area I'm willing to bet most of it is a plastic material that looks like aluminum.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This sounds useful. The other specs seem fine also, but it looks ugly :D

There have been good PC laptops in the past, e.g. the whole IBM thinkpad series.

8. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

First one, no... the SSD is fine though.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

My last laptop was a Dell Inspiron 1525 (bought in 2007) and it was a very reliable machine, but the build quality was poor.

My dad has had his Dell Inspiron 15 (1545) for less than a year and the battery already needs replacing. There are countless reviews on the Dell website claiming poor battery life.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Otherwise a good laptop but why ruin it with 720p panel? That's what netbook have. If I was about to pay $999 for a laptop, I would expect at least 1600x900 on 14". Just give a BTO option if nothing else.

11. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

12. nicfargo macrumors member

OMG, it has white keys!!! I must buy!!! /sarcasm

13. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

It's shocking to see the level of 'ignorance' in a few of the posts above. Just because the laptop isn't made by Apple and isn't running OSX, it doesn't automatically mean that the product is rubbish.

The specs seem quite decent along with the claimed battery life, but as others have pointed out, this should have a better panel seeing as this is looks to target the more premium end of the laptop range. The 1080p FHD B+RGLED displays on the Dell XPS 15 has one of the best screens on a laptop, it's a shame that this option isn't there on the 14z.

14. joepunk, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

2 USB ports?

They're copying Apple alright :p

If you customize the thing and keep it at $999.99 you get:

2nd generation Intel® Core™ I5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00 GHz

Intel® HD Graphics 3000

Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook (fully functional office for more money of course)

McAfee® SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial (trial? I could download that on my own)

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

16. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

The thing is it proves in that form factor you can get a discrete video card and keep the optical

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No offence, but the picture above reminded me of:

[​IMG]

It has never been a concern. Sony Vaio Z had all of them in 13" flavor before the 2011 model.

18. Apok macrumors regular

Before I got my 2010 MBP, I had a Dell XPS M1730 and while it was quite a machine when I first got it the luster quickly wore off. Damn thing weighed nearly 17 pounds, crewed through a fresh battery in about 1 hour 45 minutes with only running a single browser. And dont even think about running video or playing a game without the power brick tethering you to the nearest wall. TO make a long story short, IF I ever buy another PC, it most certainly will not be a Dell. They just make junk. As I am on my work PC at the moment and it is a Dell, this thing only makes it worse by our hapless IT guys.

19. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

They're on the right track but missing one vital component... the unibody. It's what keeps macs from "creaking" like most Dell laptops do after a few months because of all the plastic.

My wife uses a Dell. It needs a good dose of WD-40. :D

20. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

You guys are hilarious, some of you act like you have a stake at Apple.

Dell is just imitating good design, there's nothing wrong with that. It's how everyone moves forward. What's with all the "It's still not a Mac" comments?

They're not trying to make Macs, they're just taking the good parts of Macs (see: design) and trying to improve their own products.

All companies do this. Apple even took a page out of Android's book and implemented a "Swipe down to see your notifications" gesture ... Because it's good design!

Geez, it's funny how defensive some of you are about your purchases. You're beginning to sound like those console fanboys.

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

None taken, Hellhammer! That's exactly what I was getting at. It just looks completely out of proportion in that shot.

22. mark28 macrumors 68000

So just because your work gave you a bad Dell, all Dell machines are bad right? :D

23. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

Why is Dell marketing it as a 13" body while still having a 14" screen?

24. altecXP macrumors 65816

Because its smaller than the typical 14in Laptop.

If it had a 1600x900 display I'd get one. Hardware wise it kicks the 13in Pro's ass.

----------

You obviously don't pay attention to the computer market, please stop making yourself seem uneducated.

25. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

I like how the OP says "yawn" yet he ran to MacRumors to make a post.
    This has to be the only Forum I go to where people make threads just to talk down about other brands...