Dell's answer to the iMac G5?

cyanide

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
I don't know if this is old news or a repost, but a friend and i noticed this in the Dell magazine that ships to us and had a good laugh about it. I guess mounting a mini tower on the monitor stand is as good as it gets for windows users craving the style we know and love. Look out iMac G5, its the dell optiplex sx280!!

Attachments

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I "think" I've seen this before. I remember some computer that had a 'backpack' on it. :eek: If that is the "competition" for the iMac G5..... :rolleyes:

kaimon

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2005
hahaha looks like the dodgiest engineering job i've seen in a long time! a short-term solution to compete with a product that is already dominating :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, we had a thread about this before. That was out before the iMac G5, when the concept of an all-in-one built into the LCD was being discussed for the new iteration of the iMac.

Man, it looks like a skinny guy carrying a fat kid on it's back. Or possibly a scuba diver. What the hell were they thinking! :eek:

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
that really is terrible. talk about not being interested in making things look nice!

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Wow! Nice fullscreen view of windoze xp with a mediocre processor...! AMAZING!

Or you could get glorious widescreen views of os x with the most powerful processor on the market...

;)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
looks like some kind of mod that someone did at home. The kind you spend 30 seconds doing and it looks like sh*t.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
As if I didn't get enough of a laugh already, I had a few minutes and I went to the Dull web site and priced out the "integrated" solution in the picture to compare with the base iMac G5. The Dull, as pictured in this thread, came in at $1189 (specs attached) compared to the iMac's $1299. Note that the pictured model has a 15" display (vs. iMac's 17") and something called "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (GMA900)" which uses system RAM, for graphics hardware. It could be because I find the Dull web site confusing, but I never found a way to order better graphics on that particular system, so it may not even be an option.

For $1189 you get all of that, plus the innovative design, appeal and "cool factor" of the amazing hands free cell phone. All in all, pretty lame . . . :p

Attachments

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Make your own iMac

The Dell solution can be done by anyone. Get a 30' display and place a Powermac G5 on it's back. And you got your own iMac '30 with 2 processors.

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
First response: OH MY GOD, THAT'S THE WHOLE COMPUTER!@!@!1!!!!!1!11 I THOUGHT IT WUZ JUS A SCREEN 4 1 !!!111!13@@!

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i wonder how it'll sell...imagine the poor kid who wants an iMac and tells his parents "i want that all in one computer that looks like only an LCD," and comes home to find this there instead? "sorry son, it was 100 bucks cheaper!"

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Ok, this might get me flamed, but... I think that a small mount to attach a Mini to the backside of an LCD may actually be kinda slick. The Mini is so much smaller than that things is, so it would be completey hidden behind it. Mount the system sidways so that the slot loading optical drive would be accessable like the iMac G5's is. Have a small 'hub strip' that attaches to the bottom of the display that has 2 FW ports and 4 USB2 ports that connects to the Minis ports via some small extender cables. Perhaps even some small stereo speakers built in as well.

It'd be really slick if this was an Apple product. A 17" widescreen LCD with similar styling to the current ACDs. Maybe I will put together some kind of mockup.. but my basic idea here would be something similar to the iMacs footprint/formfactor, but the 'guts' of the machine would be removable and exchangable, so you can just get a new Mini and keep the display/mount/keyboard/mouse/etc.

Rob

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mrgreen4242 said:
It'd be really slick if this was an Apple product. A 17" widescreen LCD with similar styling to the current ACDs. Maybe I will put together some kind of mockup.. but my basic idea here would be something similar to the iMacs footprint/formfactor, but the 'guts' of the machine would be removable and exchangable, so you can just get a new Mini and keep the display/mount/keyboard/mouse/etc.
Yeah. But if Apple made that thing, it would look like, well, this!