DeLorean!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PowerFullMac, May 27, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

There should be a cars or motor section under general interests... Anyway...

I got the Top Gear magazine earlier today and saw a cool article about this guy in Texas still making DeLoreans, but making them as they were meant to be, reliable and they even use new technology and everything! After doing a bit of research on the subject I discovered loads of groups selling restored DeLoreans! Even here in the UK, plus loads of places in Europe and the US! :eek: I never knew they were so popular!

It all looks really cool, there are also a lot of custom projects, and you can even pick them up for about 15 grand (GBP)...

So, do you think thats cool/interesting, or what? Just seems like a interesting topic of conversation... Plus I may even get one when im old enough!

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I am browsing a DeLorean forum and someone is selling one that needs like $5k of work for $10k... Thats £10k after the work!

Plus, a black one for $12k!!! Never thought they would be so cheap!

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yes, but what is the going rate for a flux capacitor these days?

(you all knew that was coming)

5. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I heard about this several months ago. Seems like a cool venture.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Haha, i was surprised it wasn't in the first three posts ;)

I'd be more worried about getting Plutonium to fuel the thing -- damn Libyans...

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wow... I don't know what to say.

UGH! WHY THE HELL DID I LOOK AT THAT?!??!?! comes to mind...

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Check with your insurance - they might only cover you up to 87 mph...

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

ba dum.. tsh
    :D

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

And don't you know it... :cool:

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Insurance on a 17 year old male on a 2.8 sports car let just say prohibitively expensive. Let alone the running costs to keep the thing running considering it is not from a standard manufacture.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i saw someone with a delorean at ...disney...of all places, he was kinda a jerk, he cut in front of everyone in line to park, he must have thought he was doc brown

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well how else would you get the Jiggawatts of power necessary to run the flux capacitor, silly?

14. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Duh, Mr Fusion!!

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

16. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Easy, just fly up to some lightning!

17. operator207 macrumors 6502

They were not that fast, nor were they that maneuverable. I would say the fact they were not made very long, and body parts are not produced anymore, and cannot be fixed with traditional means, would be the driving factors of the insurance being high.

Remember they are SS brushed. You cannot beat on them, or putty them when they are dented. You replace them, or beat/putty then paint. Which ruins its resale.

The engines were not powerful, 0-60 in 10.5sec (US version with emissions). Not stellar at all. DeLorean's specs only had it doing 0-60 in 8.8sec. Still not stellar. The suspension was based on the Lotus Esprit, but to meet crash ratings in the US, they had to raise the front end. That threw off the suspension, and made it handle like a Dog.

Not counting the cloud around DeLorean, and all the conspiracies, the car itself would not have made it very far in the US.

Price:

New DMC-12s had a suggested retail price of $25,000 ($650 more when equipped with an automatic transmission); this is equivalent to approximately $62,300 in 2007 dollars.

All I can say is Wow.

Oh ya, I am not some DeLorean know it all. I like the car, it has a value in my heart. I would never own one though.

Here is where I am getting some of the above data:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lorean_DMC-12

18. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

operator207, if I end up buying one (who knows what else will come along from now until the time I can drive on the road) I will be going around London in it, therefor I will only be able to go about 10MPH most of the time anyway! :p

I think the who repairing thing is good, I can learn about it all and mod/maintain it myself, it will be like my PSP, iPod etc. :D

19. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

If I ever win the lotto this would be a cool car to own. Did the "Build Your Own" on their website and it is around $72,000..

20. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I was walking down the streets of Galway, Ireland with my sister and I DeLorean drove by. My jaw dropped and I was in shock.

21. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

They have cool cars in Ireland? Who knew! ;)

22. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

When I was younger one of my neighbors owned a DeLorean. He let my brothers and I sit in it for a short drive. I tell everyone this story when DeLoreans come up in conversation or I when I watch Back to the Future.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think a friend of mine wanted one of them but settled on the idea of some heavily modded car (the name has completely escaped me, Nova something, where the roof lifted up rather than having doors).

In the end he bought a normal car.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I would buy a DeLorean, and then put a Porsche or twin-turbo Subaru EZ36 (3.6L boxer 6) in the back. :D

WIN!