Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, we noted that one of the new features in the second beta of iOS 5 released to developers on Friday was the addition of native-style momentum scrolling for web apps, a key feature that will enable web app developers to easily make their apps feel much more like regular iOS applications.

ios_5_web_app_scroll.jpg

Daring Fireball now points to this demo from @cpojer showing off how the new CSS property can be implemented on a web app. While the demo will only function properly for those with iOS 5 Beta 2 installed, it does show the momentum scrolling and an implementation of the "pull to refresh" functionality that has become increasingly common on native iOS apps.

Article Link: Demo of Native-Style Momentum Scrolling in iOS 5 Beta 2

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
This is probably one of the main advantages that native apps had over web apps from a user experience perspective. Some web apps tried to emulate it but it never felt quite right (better than the dead scrolling you get otherwise, though). Nice to see the feature be integrated into the OS.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Because obviously Apple is evil and hates the open web. (i.e. don't believe everything Google and Adobe say)

I just hate the thought of having to have an internet connection to even open an app, as I have an iPod Touch which 90% of the time can't connect to the net. If it can, then I'm probably at home and I might as well use my computer anyway. What's even worse is that it runs in the browser, and it doesn't make use of native things (well, momentum scrolling can now be native, but what about the rest?).

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I just hate the thought of having to have an internet connection to even open an app, as I have an iPod Touch which 90% of the time can't connect to the net. If it can, then I'm probably at home and I might as well use my computer anyway. What's even worse is that it runs in the browser, and it doesn't make use of native things (well, momentum scrolling can now be native, but what about the rest?).

There is support for offline web apps. They don't have to be connected all the time. I agree that native apps are better for iOS. Still, it is nice that web apps have one more tool to make themselves feel better (not necessarily like a native app).

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
This will be great for the netflix app which uses a WebKit view. The scrolling on it is horrible right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.