Denied!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maliu, Feb 3, 2011.

1. maliu macrumors 6502a

We don't have home mail delivery so my home address does not show up in the USPS database. This database is what cell phone companies use to verify an address. With the pre orders I am unable to enter my street address as a ship to because it's not a valid address in this database. I've called everyone and no one can help me. I even tried to change my billing address to the street address so they matched but it wouldn't accept my street address for that either. I've had phone service with Verizon for close to 20 years, have 4 lines, qualify for an upgrade and still have to wait for store pick p :mad: I had this same problem when my daughter tried to get a new phone at Target, they couldn't verify the address.We had to go to the Verizon store where for some reason it isn't a problem. I had to use my in laws address in a different state to get ATT service on my iPad as the address was an issue with that as well. If anyone knows how I can get the USPS to add the street address of the home I've lived in for 20 years into their database please let me know. I feel like a non existent person.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Have you tried to actually go to USPS or call them? This should have been priority ever since you move in.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just show up at your local VZW store when they get them in next week. Not really a huge deal is it. We are talking about a week after all and we're only talking about a phone, not something that is life or death.

4. mrcribbs macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Talking to USPS or my local "post master" is about useless also.

5. Pomeless macrumors regular

I'm sure that you must have called the Verizon support. I'm surprised that they couldn't work it out for you. Honestly I would be a pissed too. You could try to escalate the issue to the next level of customer service. Just remember to be polite. Trust me I know that it is hard when your pissed. It's a pain dealing with customer service most of the time. Some reps are outstanding while most are average and a few are downright horrible. I have found that a lot depends on my approach and demeanor.

Something that has worked for me is to say, "I'm disappointed. I was so excited to be part of the pre-order but... such and such. Do you think that you could help me?"

I think that we are all rational enough to realize that it is not "life or death." That is a tad patronizing.

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Sadly, cardboard boxes underneath bridges aren't considered home addresses by the USPS. ;)

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I surly hope the Fire Department, Ambulance and Police Department can find your address.

8. iFitz macrumors regular

Do you have a work address you can ship it to?

9. hd4fun, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

hd4fun macrumors newbie

You may want to try the retention department. They are usually very helpful. To reach them, call customer service. As you are going through the menu, select the option to “cancel”. Simply tell them you want to cancel because of the problems you're having with Verizon shipping you a new phone, that you really would really like to stay with VZ, but … (fill in the rest).

Good Luck,

10. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I have the same problem, but with AT&T. They've had no problem sending me bills at my address for the last six years, but actually order a phone or something--forget it!

Very frustrating. It's the only company I've ever had this problem with.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not sure how Verizon does things, but usually you get a whole ton of other issues if you buy something and ship it to an address that doesn't match the billing address on your credit card.

12. chokepoint macrumors newbie

I routinely have things shipped to my work address (like computers, etc.) because no one is ever home in the day to sign for them.

I've never had any issues with this practice.

(Whereas I went through a whole saga trying to get a Mac Pro delivered to my house. We kept missing the delivery guy, and FedEx had no local warehouse from which we could pick it up. We finally got FedEx to go across the street to a neighbor, but it was a real pain. On other occasions, we've actually had items shipped back to the manufacturer after repeatedly missing the delivery guy.)

13. iFitz macrumors regular

I've had every phone I've ever ordered shipped to my work address, including my previous iPhones and previous Verizon phones. Never had an issue. Last year I ordered the iPhone 4 and it was shipped directly to my work address and it arrived a day before launch day.

14. maliu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it!

I managed a work around by using a friends address for both the shipping and service address. He lives about 20 miles away in a town that has home mail delivery. My work address wouldn't have worked as it is in the same area as my home and would have the same problem. Yes fire, police, UPS, and Fedex all can find my house as well as the property tax folks. :) I could have waited but the nearest Verizon store is 60 miles away from home and I am anticipating shortages and long wait times for those who don't preorder. Thanks for all your responses. I'll let you all know if I have any success with USPS updating my address. So far I haven't found the right place to call and I've spent more than enough time on the phone today trying to get satisfaction.