Dennis Ritchie died yesterday

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by KnightWRX, Oct 13, 2011.

1. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

2. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

3. mrbash macrumors 6502

Oh wow. What a loss.

K&R's C book is currently on my work desk.

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

5. bradl, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Code:
    #include ˂stdio.h˃
    int main(void)
    {
    printf("goodbye world\n");
    return 0;
    }

BL.

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

7. Moribund macrumors newbie

All he provided was tools. Good tools, perhaps, but just tools. Of course we don't care. If he was't around, someone else would've provided the tools. A poor craftsman blames his tools for his poor performance. Why should he praise them for his good performance?

8. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

No arguing. Talk about Unix, C and how they have impacted your life if you wish, but don't argue over the death of a man who did so much for the entire industry. He's the giant others have stood upon to create the products and services we use today.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree completely with this post, and breadth of vision and sheer innovation should be saluted (especially in a forum dedicated to tech matters) with the respect such invention deserves.

Moribund, those remarks were uncalled for.

10. KnightWRX thread starter macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I'm celebrating the life of the man by installing a fresh new HP-UX box today for a production server.:D

11. akero macrumors newbie

akero

12. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Did he write the compiler that would convert C into the assembly code of it's day or just design the syntax of the C language (or both)? I wonder what he thought of the syntax for Objective-C blocks.

Very sad news.

13. MacHamster68, Oct 13, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

Thats the point we all to often forget the ones who dont go all the time into the public and make us aware about what they did for us .
    UNIX and C are quiet a milestone in computing as we know it today and Dennis Ritchie should get the recognition he deserves .His achivements are no less important then the achievments of Steve Jobs, and i bet Steve Jobs would agree there if he would still be alive .

without Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson there would today be no Linux, Android, Mac OS, iOS, JavaScript, C++, maybe we would have something else but thats speculative , maybe we would still use Multics

Like we would not use Mac's today if Steve Jobs had not meet Steve Wozniak. Maybe we would not use OSX like it is today if Steve Jobs had not seen the Gui from Xerox Parc

One cant just go from today back in history and say if Person X had not the idea someone else would have come up with it

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Very sad news indeed.

I realized that computers are now so old that those pioneers who did things that are still relevant today, like Dennis Ritchie, will be leaving us now one by one because of old age.

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    int main (void)
    {
        printf ("Goodbye, world.\n");
        return 0;
    }

15. Moribund macrumors newbie

OK. I guess you guys are right. And of course I'm not happy anyone's dead. I suppose it's crass to say I don't care. That's ungrateful; He's indirectly affected my life.

16. henchman macrumors 6502a

Actually, he very directly affected everyone's life if they are using any computer devce at all.

17. MacHamster68, Oct 13, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

EXACTLY

and here are i think most of them who effected our life in terms of computing
    we should not forget even if some of them are still alive and otheres long gone .
    http://www.madore.org/~david/computers/greatnames.html

18. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Remember we all stand on the shoulders of giants, Jobs included. Be more humble.

19. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Dennis had a pretty good sense of humour. When 'The Unix Hater's Handbook' was published, Dennis provided an 'anti-foreword' for it. Here's the last paragraph:

:D

[​IMG]

20. interrobang macrumors 6502

He directly affected your life; he just did it at such a technical level that you don't understand how.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Actually, he directly affected your life.

But then judging from your other post, you obviously don't realize that you are posting from a web browser that was compiled from source code in a language that he created.

That bank account of yours (we know you have one).. stored in a database, compiled from source code in a language that he created.

That Mac of yours.. running MacOS, which was built on top of NextSTEP, a derivative of an operating system.. yep! you guess it! That he created!

Just about everything computer related, underneath it all, had his hand in, because he, Kernighan, Thompson, and everyone else at Bell Labs laid down the framework for what we have now.

In short, respect and recognize. ;)

BL.

22. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I have to admit I hadn't heard his name before, but learning what he created makes me realize that he probably laid the groundwork for what I will build my future career on.

Rest in peace.

23. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I was never a great programmer, but enjoyed my dabbling in C. Thanks Dennis RIP

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Ritchie and his fellow scientist Kernighan are so famous among educated programmers, that you only need their initials to refer to them:

"K&R" by itself refers to "The C Programming Language" book. As in, "Give back my copy of K&R, please!"

"K&R Indent" refers to the book's code style.

"K&R C" refers to Ritchie's original C language dialect.

--

Almost every system in our daily lives, from traffic lights to car computers to browsers to multitasking, relies on what they invented.