Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hey folks,
I'm one of those over-hyper-super-sensitive Mac owners now typing from a newly dented 15'' (Aluminum, late 2008) MBP. It's a small dent, and does not seem to effect the screen much, but its driving me INSANE. Is there anyway to fix this? I was thinking, is there any type of suction dent removal? I know they do that on cars that have dents..

I'm pretty sure Apple Care does not cover "small dents" and would not replace my screen for something that does not even really effect my screen.

Anyone know of any fixes?? I'm SO BUMMED. :mad: :(

I will post pics later tonight.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure Apple Care does not cover "small dents" and would not replace my screen for something that does not even really effect my screen, (it does a little)

You're right; AppleCare will not cover any physical damage, even if it did affect functionality. Accidents are not covered in any way. Anything you do to try to repair it could result in making it worse. As long as it doesn't affect functioning, I'd learn to live with it.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
You're right; AppleCare will not cover any physical damage, even if it did affect functionality. Accidents are not covered in any way. Anything you do to try to repair it could result in making it worse. As long as it doesn't affect functioning, I'd learn to live with it.

I've got to learn to deal with it..but I'm very hyper about my Mac. :eek:

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
I have the same model MBP as you, and I stood on mine about 1 week after I got it, and created a small crease-like dent in the lid. I've completely forgot its there and you just have to learn to live with it because its not covered by warranty.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
There are also the Pops A Dent glue type kits, but likely the glue they use has sheer strength geared toward much thicker/stronger steel.

I can see you pulling the dent out perfectly fine, and then twisting the screen into a pretzel when you try to remove the glued on rod.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
on a serious note, if you wanted to take it apart, you can get that dent out easily with some time and wood and a press....depending on where abouts the dent is.

Its "halfway to the apple" if you know what I mean..I'll post pics in a bit, i'm just scared to take apart my screen, because if I mess something up, i'm hosed.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
It's a small dent, and does not seem to effect the screen much, but its driving me INSANE.

Perhaps it's time to focus your energy on more important things...get over it

I'll post pics in a bit, i'm just scared to take apart my screen, because if I mess something up, i'm hosed.

Lemme guess. It looks like a small dent in aluminum...

On a serious note, I say you take your MBP apart and bang the dent out...it's a smart idea that runs absolutely no risk of you damaging your precious laptop further and ACTUALLY voiding your warranty. Much better than just accepting it as a cosmetic blemish that doesn't effect the actual function of the machine...

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Perhaps it's time to focus your energy on more important things...get over it

Lemme guess. It looks like a small dent in aluminum...

On a serious note, I say you take your MBP apart and bang the dent out...it's a smart idea that runs absolutely no risk of you damaging your precious laptop further and ACTUALLY voiding your warranty. Much better than just accepting it as a cosmetic blemish that doesn't effect the actual function of the machine...

Ok, I'm going to act stupid and make a fool of myself and ask, are you being sarcastic or are you really suggesting that?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Ok, I'm going to act stupid and make a fool of myself and ask, are you being sarcastic or are you really suggesting that?

If you have to ask...:rolleyes:

Seriously though, don't worry about it. It's not an issue. You put a small dent in aluminum..it's not hard to do. I've done it, thousands of others have done it, and you are simply wasting your time even thinking about it. Even worse is the fact that you would actually think I'm serious about taking apart a machine that is notoriously difficult to disassemble unless you've done it a dozen times. Forget about it and move on with your life.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
...On a serious note, I say you take your MBP apart and bang the dent out...
This should do the trick nicely!:

Only $24.99 at Sears! :D
Ok, I'm going to act stupid and make a fool of myself
Good job! :D

BlackiBook

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Norman, Oklahoma
Thank you. :D Yes..I know I should move on..I just am that kind of person who practically polishes my Mac every day. And..now this.

I used to be that way until I realized that my iBook G4 is still in perfect condition but it is on a shelf never used... You will forget about it in a few months! Oh and sorry for posting without reading the whole thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.