Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I bought a 3.06Ghz MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago. I was so stoked and moved from a 15 to 17 and couldn't be happier.

I didn't really "inspect" it looking for problems when I first got it but last night I noticed that it's bent on the lid.

Close the lid and look near the back and you see a curve that causes the monitor to not sit flush with the body on both sides! The monitor display works fine but the rubber seal isn't doing it's job. I noticed it when there was construction at my place and dust got all over the keyboard with the lid closed.

My 15" didn't have this problem but is this common on the 17 or should I talk to apple?

FLICKR SET

3718597493_b096980d61_b.jpg

3719412556_18e29095f4_b.jpg

3718598545_bf03001dd8_b.jpg

3718599431_32a15cb4a2_b.jpg

3718600271_3fd6f5b8c2_b.jpg

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
You should definately take it back to Apple or call them, this is not acceptable and i am sure they will fix this issue, unless they find an excuse to blame you, but it is not likely to happen if you call them.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are a few people that have that "problem" including myself. By the looks of it, it isn't too bad - some have worse. If it bugs you that much, go back to Apple and see what they say, if you're within the 14 days, they should swap it out if not don't expect anything to happen.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are a few people that have that "problem" including myself. By the looks of it, it isn't too bad - some have worse. If it bugs you that much, go back to Apple and see what they say, if you're within the 14 days, they should swap it out if not don't expect anything to happen.

Yeah. It's not really an issue with use at this time. everything works fine. I guess it's worth a stop at the store.

I already have an appt tomorrow for them to replace my R2D2 Click-Clack hard drive with one that doesn't beep so I'll just have them look at it then.

Was hoping the MR community had some pointers for convincing them to replace it.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
It's a feature that prevents the keyboard from contacting the screen during transport. :)

Oh okay. Sweet :p

I'd believe it and probably brag about it if Steve Jobs had presented it that way, "if your MBP has a bend it's because we've found a genius way to keep fingerprints from transmitting to your display. we call it 'bendy boom"

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Plus whatever you'll have to pay in chiropractor visits when you pull something carrying it. ;)

I see what you're saying (kind of) but I cannot really agree that it is a dent.

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Well, on first thought, I would say the bend really doesn't look that severe. BUT, I think its always easier to say that when its not actually your machine, and truthfully I can't blame you for feeling a bit bummed out about it.

If it was me, I would really try to live with it. Obviously alot easier to say than it is to do, but if everything else is working for you, maybe its not worth trying to get it fixed or replaced by Apple? I mean replacing it maybe isn't bad, but I definitely wouldn't get it fixed, I'd hate the idea of my baby getting split open.

I wish you luck, and I definitely feel for you!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well, on first thought, I would say the bend really doesn't look that severe. BUT, I think its always easier to say that when its not actually your machine, and truthfully I can't blame you for feeling a bit bummed out about it.

If it was me, I would really try to live with it. Obviously alot easier to say than it is to do, but if everything else is working for you, maybe its not worth trying to get it fixed or replaced by Apple? I mean replacing it maybe isn't bad, but I definitely wouldn't get it fixed, I'd hate the idea of my baby getting split open.

I wish you luck, and I definitely feel for you!

That's what I've done - just live with it. If it was my first one, I probably would be paranoid and annoyed but already going through 3 of them, the 4th one had the bowing problem and I decided to just keep it because - much tolerable than the other 3 problems.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...alum unibody construction, a great way to make a stronger laptop...bends being acceptable on several thousand dollar machine:eek:...
:apple: needs to use carbon fiber and paint it with that Ti finish if they want that look still...

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
did you end up keeping one?

I am returning the second one, but not because of the bowing. The second one came with a real dent in the bottom panel--thus the return.

I think the bowing is just a poor design element of the uMBPs. Having received two with a nearly identical bowing, I think they all have some degree of the problem.

I can live with it as it doesn't really affect anything but aesthetics too much. But yeah, it is pretty worthless to put a rubber seal all around the screen if the screen is going to bow in the middle.

What I am really concerned about is the creaking hinge that developed on the first MBP they sent me. And also, the fact that the screen falls down when you hold the laptop at certain angles (i.e. the hinge cannot support the weight of the screen).

Apple really needs to get on top of that.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I probably wouldn't be happy if my MBP had a bow in it like that. Call :apple: and see what the story is. Seems to be a manufacturing defect to me.

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
My second 17" MBP (replacement unit) has a small dent on the bottom panel. I've decided that I'm just going to suck it up and live with it, since I'd rather have a small cosmetic dent rather than risk another laptop with more problems. Apple quality control blows.

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I have the same thing on mine, but I'm chalking it up to a design element allowing any extra heat to escape should I ever want to use it in clamshell mode. I could be wrong, but seeing as how I've seen the same thing on a few of them, I think they might mostly all be like that.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks everyone. It looks like I'm not alone and this is just a common issue.

Honestly, Apple touts the solid construction of the UMBP and having used a 13 & 15" MBP I know that this rubber seal is exactly that, "a rubber seal"

Given that there is a noticeable (5-8 mm gap) on the left side (3-5mm gap) on the right side that bothers me.

I'm going to the store on my way home and bringing it up. I live half a block from the apple store in downtown SF. I'll just swing by, show them and see what they say.

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.