Dented my iPhone... is my warranty void? (with pictures!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viperGTS, Dec 20, 2013.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Yesterday my phone somehow slipped out of my hand from about 3 feet and it hit the ground which caused this dent. :(

My question is, if I have an issue with this phone in the future, for example, Touch ID failures, camera issues, or even battery issues, will Apple still replace my phone? Or is the warranty now void?

Attached Files:

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, aluminum is soft and one can easily get that without dropping.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

It honestly depends on who you talk to. It's probably not as bad as you think it is (at least, it doesn't look like it from these pictures) and most Genius Bar types, in the absence of a broken screen or liquid damage, would chalk it up to wear and tear. That said, they probably could deny a warranty claim based on that if they wanted to.

Worst case scenario, they'll make you pay an out-of-warranty replacement fee, which I believe is $200. But then again, in 4 years of owning iPhones the only hardware issue I've had while under warranty was a home button failure, and that was in the first month of owning my iPhone 5. I wouldn't worry too much.

4. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. :) I've heard that about aluminum too. Hopefully I get a nice Genius, should a situation arise.

It's not a terrible dent, but it is annoying. Wear and tear is grounds for a void warranty?

I've had a pretty bad experience with iPhone problems, including dead pixels, a faulty camera, and dead Wi-Fi. And now with Touch ID I fear it might end up failing at some point.

5. boobie12 macrumors 6502

No your warranty isint voided. I had dented phones where if it had a problem(not caused by the dent) they would exchange it. They never said anything about it.

6. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, thank you! That's reassuring :)

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's highly unlikely that they would deny you service because of that. Personally, I just consider that normal wear and tear. I'm sure the genius would too. At least, they have for me in the past. :)

8. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

im skipping the 5/5s for this very reason - soft aluminium
    oh and also that my 4S is still going strong!!!!

9. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

They wont bother you about something like that.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's quite easy to create dents like that with a naked iPhone 5/5s :(

11. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the responses guys :) much appreciated.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get a case for it. These phones can easily slip out of your hand and there goes a nice dent.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

Which is one reason why I always use a case on iDevices.

14. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Funny thing is, I had and used a case for it. I just took it off for a while, and then this happened...

15. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Heh, that's EXACTLY how I cracked my Galaxy S3. I always had a case, but popped it out because I needed to do a battery pull and stuck it in my jacket pocket, then bent over and it fell out. Boom. Cracked screen.

16. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I use TPU cases partly for the same reason. I like the aluminum shell of the iPhone 5/5S for its lightweight, rigid construction, but the TPU provides a deformable exterior that absorbs damage. It's a setup that mimics many living creatures: soft tissue over a bone structure.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11