Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
What one must understand is that deodorants are mostly antiperspirants, and they are antiperspirants by being waterproof. The main way that our deodorants are waterproof is via an aluminum based-compound, such as aluminum zirconium tricholorohydrex gly(cine) among others. When you combine sweat, bacteria, sebum, dead skin, a waterproofing gel/solid, and absorbent cotton shirts... what do you think is going to happen!? Of course it's going to leave residue.

What would seem to be the solution is to stop using deodorants with waterproofing compounds, be they aluminum-based, natural wax-based, or including any sorts of oils. But keep in mind that what you're left with won't do that great of a job, definitely won't prevent pit stains, and may still leave you with discolorations on your undershirts--this time of a more yellowy kind from your sweat, sebum, etc, and the bacteria growing under your arms.

Personally, I use Mitchum unscented, which has the strongest concentration of the aluminum compounds on the market and has almost no scent (what is there is pleasantly boring and does not clash with any cologne or bodyscent in my experience)... and I wear white undershirts that I replace every year or so. If build-up gets bad, I bleach 'em with hot water and let them soak for a while.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Might be. Nothing I've tried works for me either. Luckily I don't really stink even if I sweat, so long as I shower. Which I do. I like the gels better than the sticks because they don't gunk up as much, and roll-ons do in a pinch, but no spray for me. Just don't like them. Arrid and Mitchem are good, Arm & Hammer works pretty well too. I like the smell of some Gillette and Old Spice too, but some are a little too strong and don't do much in the way of sweat prevention. But it's going to be hot, and I'm going to sweat. Especially if I'm hauling around servers in the hot sun, up and down stairs. Sometimes, for some reason, I sweat even if it's cold. I don't know why. Just happens. Sometimes I'm just dry as a bone. Weird.

Lots of Resolve and Spray & Wash help with the stains, but nothing really gets them out.

looks like i'm not alone ... i guess i have nearly tried all available brands already and i still haven't a deodorant which actually worked more than 6 hours or so in actually preventing sweat

i simply sweat too much ... well amputation is still an option (shaving only makes it worse since i get sweat running down in drops which isn't pleasent either)

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
My armpits are trimmed with scissors and I noticed I sweat significantly less.
I also started putting less deodorant and let it dry.
I put some powder as well as it smells good and absorbs sweat. There are only a couple shirts that have problems, mostly those that aren't cotton shirts. Those dry-fit or football jerseys they all stink because of their "advanced" materials.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I just recently (a month or so ago) started using Certain-Dri, and it works wonders for me.

Before, I used to sweat a lot, so much that my shirt would be soaked by mid-day.

Now, after using this, I don't even notice the sweat. Yes, it is aluminum based, and so it is harmful. But I don't lather myself in the stuff. I use it maybe once a week (if that), and it really works all week long. I don't find a need to use it more than that.

Yes, I realize this thread is >3 years old

Streffert

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
MSP
Yellow stains are caused by the aluminum in antiperspirants, nothing else.

I use Tom's which is actually found by the women's deodorant, it is aluminum free and all natural.

Pre-PharmD. :)

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Don't really sweat much, so deodorant isn't that big of a deal to me.

079400013439.jpg

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Don't really sweat much, so deodorant isn't that big of a deal to me.

Same here, due to my sedentary life-style. ;)

I shower in the morning, then share my pheromones with the World the rest of the day.

Haven't use deodorant in about 5 years.

Funny, no dates in that time either. Ya' think there is a correlation? :eek:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
yes I do but some people sweat too much,
and when your palms are so sweaty that latex gloves slip off and nobody wants to shake you hand , i think thay botox helps alot.

The armpits - some people are excessive sweaters. as in no amount of anti-perspirant will stop the waterfall that drenches the shirts.

i have noticed it is quite easy to tell which of my female colleagues have shaved armpits - they dont have such a strong B.O.

I really hate when people cover up smelly armpits with deoderant. Was your armpits, dry them, then put on anti perspirant and you will smell good.

yes I bolded dry them because many people forget to. and just create the perfect moint environment for bacteria to grow and create stinky smell.
same with feet.

Sounds like might be hyperhydrosis. You might talk to a dermatologist. Also some behavioral treatments to reduce autonomic arousal.

Same here, due to my sedentary life-style. ;)

I shower in the morning, then share my pheromones with the World the rest of the day.

Haven't use deodorant in about 5 years.

Funny, no dates in that time either. Ya' think there is a correlation? :eek:

UM...yes...we've all noticed. :rolleyes:

I've been using Mitchums Unscented for years. Not sweat, no sweat smell, no deodorant smell, no stains.

Of course the aluminum hydroxide my contribute to Alzheimers.

Of course the aluminum hydroxide may contribute to Alzheimers.

Oh, did I say that already - I don't remember.

Last edited:

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
UM...yes...we've all noticed. :rolleyes:

Not my problem, really. :p

I've been using Mitchums Unscented for years.

My skin is very delicate, and overly sensitive to fragrance of any kind, so unscented is all I ever used.

Oh, did I say that already - I don't remember.

This was the major reason for stopping. :cool:

And now we know even more about skin's propensity to absorb unhealthy compounds.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I use deodorant rather than anti-perspirant, and the stuff doesn't destroy, discolour, or leave residue on any of my shirts.

I use Old Spice Original, but only because Australian supermarkets stock very few deodorants. They sell mostly anti-perspirants. Also, I don't like the sprays. I like the sticks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.