Deployed, need help with internet please.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JReynolds, Oct 22, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I'm currently deployed and using a wifi extender on the roof to pick up our base internet.

The extender is plugged into my MBP via USB and picks up a great signal. My roommate wanted internet too so I used internet sharing and gave him a "hotspot" using my airport. Everything works fine but now everybody in reach is trying to get on our little network.

Is there a way I can hide it from everyone, but still give him access?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

A network password?
    It won't hide the network but no one won't be ale to get in.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

One option would be share via Ethernet instead of WiFi.

Another would be to require a password for WiFi access.

4. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response.

It's protected with a WEP password. The issue is I didn't want the general public around me to see it and ask if they could connect. Myself and roommate are trying to be greedy with our limited connection.

After about an hour of google searches, I found I cannot hide my ssid while using internet sharing. Turns out that hiding the ssid is more of a router feature.

My buddy is actually across the hall so ethernet out our doors is a no go.

I actually own a AirPort Express back home. Is it possible to plug in my extender to the airport express, plug the express into the wall and then us both connect to the airport express?

wifi extender on roof>USB cable plugged into airport express>Airport express plugged into wall>hide ssid and the two of us connect to airport express...?

My only concern with this is that I had to install drivers for the wifi extender to work on my mac. So would it be able to pick up a single and give it to the airport express via USB?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If at all possible, use WPA or better yet WPA2 instead of WEP. Anyone that knows of WEPs weakness can google how to crack it.

If your only way of connecting to the extender is USB then no. The Airport Express's USB port is only for printers.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just make the SSID some weird or dumb name. Example, "Patriots suck" or "I can hear you sleeping"

Also, set a WPA password; WEP can be cracked under 1 minute by a Pentium 3... imagine a Core CPU.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You could do this.

WiFi USB Extender --> Mac

Mac ----> sharing Internet connection to LAN, connect AE via LAN cable.

AE WiFi --> Buddy's computer​

8. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Or better SSID name "100 bucks/month upfront to connect"

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes, that would work. Good thinking.

10. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

:D Good thinking.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll put them all into consideration and figure out what to do.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

On more idea that I've used in the past.

Requires an old computer and Linksys router. A Mac Mini would work well. An old PowerBook as well.

Similar to the before mentioned idea with a twist. In describing the set up, I'll use Mac Mini for the computer and Linksys for the router such as a WRT54G or better.

WiFi USB Extender --> Mac Mini

Mac Mini ----> sharing Internet connection to LAN, connect Linksys Router via LAN cable.

Linksys Router --> Provide WiFi to anybody you want.​

With this solution you can use MAC address filtering, WPA type encryption, time lockouts, etc. It provides you a very robust solution. You can pick up an old Mac Mini on eBay for a decent price and the Linksys routers are reasonable.

Oh, and to control your Mac Mini, you can use remote access software built in or such as LogMeIn free version. So you really don't need a monitor, keyboard and mouse, except for first time set up.