Depreciation and why your MacBook Pro is worth a lot less now.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRealAlex, Oct 27, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

First off the Apolgy to the Craigslist buyer in Miami who bought my 2014 MacBook Pro for $1,300 last week
    In case anyone needs the Specs
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp704?locale=en_US

No take backs.
    I am so glad it's gone. So heavy and lacking in power and heavy ughhh.

Now onto Depreciation. The same system with 256GB SSD and 2.2Ghz Core i7 won't fetch $600 by next week. Why ? Anyone in the market will simply not buy a system without that making Touch bar they just won't.

So if you haven't sold your old MacBook Pros even though they may still be great. They re-sale value just got by 1/3 as of today.

Anyone disagree or agrees ?

2. Abaganov macrumors regular

yes , non touch are garbage , using mine right now as a cup holder

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

You'd think with all the complaints about how "overpriced" the new MacBook Pros are, the 2015 and earlier models would not depreciate as much. Apple computers have traditionally had very good resale prices because the hardware is made to last, and retailer pricing is tightly controlled. But of course with the release of a new product, the one it replaces will almost always take a hit in resale value.

4. Ries macrumors 68000

The average person doesn't care about the touch bar.

5. macduke Suspended

macduke

I would love to buy a mid-2014 MBP for $600 so I can run 4K. Maybe I'll just do that and get that 4K version of that LG monitor Apple was talking about today for $699. Actually not a bad idea at all. But can I really get that machine for only $600? I wish.

6. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes you undrerstand depreciation. It's like a 3 million dollar Bugatti. Wows it's collectable great. Takes 2 years to get one or so. In the mean time here comes the new Bugatti with a Digital dash, all of a sudden your Bugatti with old school helicopter gauges and dials takes a huge depreciation hit.

I had a good 2 years with my 2014 MBP and lost $500 depreciation that's not bad to the poor guy who bought it and being that I got a great deal. Not full price.

But Ouch, That new OLED Touch Bar is so distinct it instantly makes older MacBook Pros look bad to be polite.

That being said, Why Apple won't just do touch Screens is beyond me. Now do I take my $1,300 and Go with a Microsoft Surafce Book that new Dial looks amazing and Gaming wise it destroys even the new MacBoo Pros.
    Or wait for Kaby Lake.

7. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Actually, I'm always amazed at how little older Macs go down in price...

8. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Until today. Feeling bad for anyone trying to sell old MacBooks And MBPs
    And your statement was true how long had it been since an update 400 or 600 days ?

9. Abaganov macrumors regular

thats true , some aspect of it is because the design stayed the same,
    now with the new design things might change for those older models as they will look outdated

10. zaphodb3 macrumors member

Lol not at all. People who are in the market for a used MBP aren't going to be demanding a Touch Bar for at least another couple years.

Resale prices will take a hit because there's a new MBP line out, period---I don't see any reason why the Touch Bar is especially relevant.

11. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

Got a quote for $400 for my early 2011 MBP. If I spend $3,000 and a laptop lasts me 6 years, I'm more than happy with the purchase and depreciation.

12. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

I think you are wrong. The second hand price for recent models may actually go up as folks want the old ports

13. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

I have never heard something so illogical. Hey check out Dave, Steve has one of those new/retro USB 2.0 ports and an actual HDMI port.

14. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

You're putting way too much into the touch bar. It's not gonna drop values by more than 50% like you suggested in your original post at all.

15. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

I personally like the 2015-16 MacBook Pro with the glowing apple logo, classic Apple. I don't need a "touch bar"

16. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

I think the touch bar is likely to be become 'iconic' in it's own right, and when enough models are sold and start to seep into the 2nd hand market, the non-touch-bar machines will certainly take a major hit, price wise.

Not likely to happen just yet though, but can easily see it happening within 12 months or so.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Agreed.

USB-A without lame dongles
    SD slot
    MagSafe
    Glowing Apple logo

^ That still has plenty of value for many of us. It won't depreciate in value and certainly not as fast as smartphones and tablets.

18. RoskO macrumors member

I just sold my 2015 rMBP (16gb/512gb SSD) today for $1700. They were actually happy to get the 2015 model and wanted no part of the new 2016 model.

I would disagree with you pretty heavily and say that you must not have a lot of experience selling Macs on Craigslist. I've bought/sold at least 15-20 since 2011 of all different flavors, Macs are like Toyota. You don't really have to worry about a Toyota value being hit after 100k miles, just like you don't have to worry about Macs losing value after a year or two, or even three.

I have seen numerous posts and threads to day of people specifically looking for the "old" 2015 Retina instead of the new one for various reasons.

History should guide you here, I don't think the old ones will lose much value at all, maybe by the time the new design hits their second or third CPU revision you might see that happen.

19. SimeoneSergio macrumors regular

Wow, i wonder how much i'll be selling mine - late 2014, 2.8GHZ I7, GT750M , 1Tb SSD and 12 months of AppleCare remaining.

20. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

$600

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

The touch bar MacBook Pro already lost value once you saw the Microsoft Surface Book i7 got announced the day before. Why would anyone care about a tiny strip of a touchscreen on a MBP when the Surface Book has it for its entire screen? And a stylus that you can use without smudging up that happens with all touchscreens. And all the necessary ports. And 16h battery life. SMH.

This is Apple telling us they are slowly moving away from the personal computing industry with lackadaisical Mac upgrade cycles and their focus mostly on iOS device to sell more iPhones and iPhones. Apple Computer is truly, truly dead. Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave right now thinking what happened to the company that built personal computers over 40 years ago?

iPhoneRumors should be be the name of this site. Apple wants faster upgrade cycles for more money annually. Laptops and tablets last longer and Apple don't want to focus on it especially the former. Go to any Apple Store and where does everyone go to? iPhones. Macs are left in a little corner somewhere that barely anybody looks at.

Mac has now become the neglected eldest child while iPhone is their current bread winner. By April, except threads and threads of the newest iPhone leaks. Again, the Mac Daddy and the Daddy Mac no longer wants to us jump, jump.. except through windows. Microsoft is calling this Mac newbie back after a week.

Apple is making iPad Pro that desktop replacement and saying bye to Macs. SMH @ the more restrictive iOS with even less ports, file manager, and drag and drop.

22. SimeoneSergio macrumors regular

I think it's a bit too low number

23. David58117 macrumors 65816

I think you would be on to something - *if* the price didn't jump up significantly as well.

I think people in the market for a MacBook pro who maybe haven't been paying attention, are suddenly going to be met with something much more expensive than they anticipated - and will go looking for used macbooks.

We'll be waiting =D.

24. d0minick macrumors 6502

I honestly cant tell if the thread starter is trolling? The macs are horribly expensive ATM. Add apple care and 2-3 dongles and your looking at another $300-400 on that price. Add on to that, the touch bar is silly, other manufacturers have tried them. They awkward to use. Even presenters look awkward. Anyone performing actual work will disregard that. Only fanboys will clamor for it.

Meanwhile the previous generation MBPr are still great. Ports still there. Price may go up for resale. How else can you get 512GB under 2K.