Design Guru slams iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kshitijshah, Oct 20, 2013.

1. kshitijshah macrumors member

Read this article on Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/berlinschoolofcreativeleadership/2013/10/15/interview-designer-david-yun-on-the-pros-and-cons-of-apples-ios-7/

David Yun thinks Apple made some big mistakes with iOS 7 from a design / usability perspective and also from a brand perspective.

“It has a lot less to do with the design community and more to do with the constant drive to sell new products,” Yun explained. “That said, the intention of iOS 7 is completely valid. It’s the execution and the qualities of that execution that are in question. Here’s hoping for a closer look at those qualities in iOS 7.1!”

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

He is a professional designer .... Apple has professional designers.
    Who says who's right ?

4. KALLT macrumors 601

He doesn't so much slam it. He actually praises Apple for taking on the challenge to redesign iOS and says that some apps have a very beautiful design now (e.g. compass). He simply questions the inconsistencies and the lack of 'appleness'. Now that Android and iOS are starting to look a bit more like each other, the competition is probably getting more intense.

5. notrack macrumors 6502

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

I read it as a very very polite, nicest possible way, slap in the face

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Ugh.. Stoped reading after the lock screen comparison. Just no. The layout is the same damn thing from iOS 6 except that you can unlock it from anywhere (not in stock android) and Dynamic Wallpapers (that is more like Android). So congrats, they look like Android 1/10 things that make up that homescreen.

8. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

They look nothing alike. If anything, iOS 7 looks more like WP then Android.

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

11. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

How does someone weighing in on the pros and cons come to mean they are 'slamming' something?

Jesus... people these days with their hyped up crap. What a load. I'm going to go on a rampage now. What that actually means is roll my eyes and mutter 'stupid kids'.

12. Naor macrumors regular

Guess what? People LOVE iOS 7... You can look at the reviews of apps who haven't yet updated to the new OS, people now believe in the new design standards, they want clean and beautiful apps, they want the new keyboard. Apple magically convinced hundreds of millions of people so easily, which means Apple did the right choice! I know iOS still lacks a lot, but when it comes to design it beats Android easily... It's not about the design that hurts apple, it's the lack of the ability to actually customize your phone.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

14. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

15. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Exactly. The new standard has been set. Apps HAVE to look clean now or they look out of place in the system.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.
    Would be nice if it worked properly! [​IMG]

17. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

the camera app looks uncannily similar to android's app. And that's not a good thing. As a android fan i think it's interface is clunky and has too much transparency, while ios adds a lazy blur, and looks as bad.

also remember the features ios has copied from android, and the look they copied from windows 7. It's not a horrible os, but lets not get cocky here and say it's original because it ain't and neither is any mobile os for that matter.

Parallax is great i like it, control center is nice and about time they copied it. but, i wish apple would "invent" or get more original like they used to with their "innovation"

it was part of the magic which is now gone sad to say. No real leader now, their all a bunch of copycats Google (especially google), MS, Apple.

SJ you are missed :(

18. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Except...
    - The live bokeh wallpaper as default is extremely similar. The fact that they chose a bokeh effect of all things is startling
    - The font is extremely similar to Roboto (that screenshot actually skews the comparison - check out the 4.0 lockscreen and you'll notice it is just about identical)
    - The camera icon on the iOS 7 is just about identical to the Holo interface's icon.

Not to mention iOS 7 in general is HEAVILY inspires by Holo Light.

19. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Misleading thread title but good read nonetheless.

20. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

-Similar wallpaper is what I meant by dynamic wallpaper #.
    - Roboto is actually similar to the font that Apple used (Helvetica Neu) and Google "designed" it to not pay for the font.
    - cause a camera icon can be designed to look any different than a rectangle with a lens, right? And as a matter of fact, the icon looks identical to the one introduced in iOS 5 except tweaked. Does that mean Google copied Apple?
    - no system wide UI uses Holo light.

http://www.iphonefamily.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Leaked-iOS-5.1-Slide-to-Camera-Shortcut-on-Lockscreen-Pre-GM-iOS-5.1-firmware.jpg
    iOS 5 shortcut.

21. oopsroger macrumors regular

oopsroger

The design of the compass app is indeed the best one, a significant improvement in terms of clarity and functionality.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To be fair a bunch of reviews requesting apps to be updated don't necessarily have to be because people "LOVE" iOS 7, but can very well likely simply be because people simply want some consistency and if they already have iOS 7 (even if they don't really like to some degree or even more) they still would at least like for things to be more consistent nonetheless.

23. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I don't think iOS 7 really looks like Android. Google's platform cannot execute the amount and intensity of Gaussian blurs. I still think it's an abomination and an eyesore, but that's just one opinion. Flat is a trend, though, and it'll pass.

24. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Yes.

25. KALLT, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

KALLT macrumors 601

I don't know how you can say that. Without the obvious textures in favour of a simple background colour with text, flat buttons and simple icons, and translucency and transparency, iOS looks much more like Android than you would like to admit. In terms of design, the gap between Android and iOS has definitely become smaller. Windows Phone is a lot flatter and looks nothing like it. In what point does iOS 7 resemble WP more than Android in your opinion?

Perhaps not the gaussian blurs, but Android definitely has a lot of transparency too. The 'notification centre' for instance. Apple's translucency effect is used at most of the same instances where Android uses transparency. A white Android theme would probably look a lot like iOS 7. That is not to say that you would not be able to keep them apart, but the important thing, and I think that is David Yun meant, is that iOS will have a hard time distinguishing itself from Android with this. What if Google implements translucency and motion into the next version of Android?