Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook has confirmed rumors that it is testing the ability for Instagram users to post to the picture-based social media platform using a web browser on a desktop computer.

Instagram-Feature-1.jpg

With its focus on sharing photos taken with a smartphone camera, Facebook-owned Instagram has long been a mobile-centric social network that lacks many of its basic features in its web browser incarnation, including the ability to post.

In May, the first leaked images of web-based Instagram post creation tools surfaced, showing the ability to natively drag and drop photos and videos from a desktop computer for upload, as well as options to crop the content, apply filters, and compose accompanying text for publishing to feeds.

No official comment was forthcoming that could shed light on what appeared to be early internal testing of the feature. However, following another series of images shared courtesy of social media consultant Matt Navarra, Facebook has now publicly confirmed via Bloomberg that the feature is indeed in the works.

"We know that many people access Instagram from their computer," said Facebook spokeswoman Christine Pai. "To improve that experience, we're now testing the ability to create a Feed post on Instagram with their desktop browser."
There's still no word on an official Instagram app built specifically for iPad, but presumably a browser-based way of posting would offer an alternative option for tablet users.

Article Link: Desktop Instagram Posting Currently Being Tested, Confirms Facebook

Last edited:

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
About Time.
I don't like Facebook. too many unwanted AD's.

Heading to MD ANDERSON CANCER CENTER in Houston TX for an emergency 6am Flight.

My Cancer is getting worse. And Chicago is the worst place to be. They want you dead here from Cancer instead of diagnosis and treated.

I will be off the computer getting treated.

God Bless Everyone out here on Mac Rumors.

Hope I can beat this Cancer. I got a few law suits to file when I get back for getting kicked out of emergency rooms and delayed diagnosis and a treatment path.

Darren Hankner.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
About Time.
I don't like Facebook. too many unwanted AD's.

Heading to MD ANDERSON CANCER CENTER in Houston TX for an emergency 6am Flight.

My Cancer is getting worse. And Chicago is the worst place to be. They want you dead here from Cancer instead of diagnosis and treated.

I will be off the computer getting treated.

God Bless Everyone out here on Mac Rumors.

Hope I can beat this Cancer. I got a few law suits to file when I get back for getting kicked out of emergency rooms and delayed diagnosis and a treatment path.

Darren Hankner.

Sorry to read that. Best of luck on your treatment.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
That actually would be great. I am using a 3rd party Instagram App to block trackers and ads from Instagram but the picture / story upload does not work properly with it. Maybe this way I could use their website to upload content and keep using the 3rd party app for viewing my feed / stories

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
How many years too late? Instagram is a dying platform, this just feels like a way to try to keep or add users. It’s slowly just becoming Facebook. This probably is also a push for their store, to make it easier to shop.
It really isn't though. It's a breeding ground of many MANY vapid people that prey on the general populace. Kylie Jenner, as useless as she is, has 240+ million followers. IG isn't going anywhere. Facebook on the other hand, it's been streamrolled by boomers. I want to say both platforms suck (because they do) but the reality is that THE PUBLIC sucks even more. Social media has attracted trash and enabled every one of these expendables to think they now have a voice for their worthless 2 cents on every issue.

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
Would be so great to be able to post to Instagram on my mac, it'll save me having to do all that road tripping around when I want to do any editing in photoshop or something. I also think it's a pain to type in hashtags for your posts, and you have to use hashtags otherwise pretty much no one will see your pics... unless you have thousands of followers already I guess.

LowellLvl

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2018
It really isn't though. It's a breeding ground of many MANY vapid people that prey on the general populace. Kylie Jenner, as useless as she is, has 240+ million followers. IG isn't going anywhere. Facebook on the other hand, it's been streamrolled by boomers. I want to say both platforms suck (because they do) but the reality is that THE PUBLIC sucks even more. Social media has attracted trash and enabled every one of these expendables to think they now have a voice for their worthless 2 cents on every issue.
This. Exactly.

Reactions: castlema

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
It’s crazy it’s taken this long. I’m sure others do this, but right now I just go into the web inspector and change the size down to mobile. It’s hard managing so many hashtags and tagging on mobile and it’s just so much easier to do that on desktop. Really hope this comes out soon because this will make posting my photography workflow so much easier

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
I can just imagine these wonderful requests from the app:

Instagram Would Like to Request Access to Your:

Microphone
Camera
Desktop Folder
Downloads Folder
Documents Folder
Photos

Instagram Requires Full Disk Access

Instagram Requires Screen Recording
Literally the first sentence says through their website. There’s no app.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
How many years too late? Instagram is a dying platform, this just feels like a way to try to keep or add users. It’s slowly just becoming Facebook. This probably is also a push for their store, to make it easier to shop.
What research do you have to backup that Instagram is a dying platform? I work closely with the social media team at my job, who are pretty damn good at what they do, and both tiktok and IG are incredibly prominent.

I would love to know when you’re getting that it’s a dying platform.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
not a user of Instagram.. I always thought it was possible to post from a desktop pc via a browser... shows how much I know about social media.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Facebook Instagram is the slowest ever developed app/site on the planet. I mean this isn't rocket science. myspace had picture upload fifteen years ago.

At this speed we might get a featureless upscaled iPhone app for iPad (fullsize) in 2425.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
You can post to Instagram on desktop with Safari - click on user agent and switch to iOS version

It’s a workaround for single photo posts but it will do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.