Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimedit1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Steve Jobs in an interview an hour ago said:

• Gradually Exiting Computer Business? "No. If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it. - Engadget

Don't know what this means... but it looks like my waiting to purchase the mac pro until wwdc MIGHT just pay off...

And it has been really tough.

jimedit1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
of course, the iphone is looking like it IS the new ipod...
It has a lot of extra stuff, but the ipod features look... DOPE.

LightMast

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2007
As much as I am hoping for Mac Pro revisions in two weeks, I think he is most likely referring to the iMac line.

jimedit1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
You know, LM?
I think you may be right. sigh...
A display with built in isight and an improved graphics card would do it for me, although at this point I'm going to bite the bullet anyway.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Its so damn tough...I'm looking for a new iPod though...

If we are lucky you will get one in the fall, but I don't think there will be a new one that close to the iPhone release. I hope that their desktops are either iMacs with actual desktop chips or a mid range tower.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Strip an iPhone of its phone functionality and that's what I want in the next iPod.

We haven't seen hardware updates for ages though. Other than the processor upgrade option for the Mac Pros and MacBooks, when was the last true revision? November? :eek:

I am confident we will see hardware updates in and around WWDC and I am hoping part of the reason for such a dry spell is due to Leopard. I hope that some of Leopard's "top secret features" are directly related to hardware, thus requiring new hardware to realize some of this functionality. Not that it will happen, but just imagine if Apple is going to release its own version of Surface at WWDC (or perhaps this would be Leopard itself!) and release new hardware which will be able to take advantage of this new multi-touch technology - that would be huge! Now this is an extreme example, and highly unlikely, but we could definitely see something along these lines... here's hoping.... :cool:

jimedit1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Unfortunately i cant wait that long.. I have been getting a bucket load of editing work and there is more in the pipeline... and my last generation PB G4 is just not built for that kind of video crunching. Its killing my quality of Life. Im getting the whole editing suite. Octo with 8GB Ram and new display(s). Its going to be so sweet... Im obsessed. So WWDC or not. She's mine...:D
I was just hoping for a bone... with the inconsistancy of that machine's build its like having a ferrari engine in a dodge neon. But I need it, so...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yeah, even if you can wait the 3 weeks until WWDC, there's no guarantee any hardware updates which are announced will actually be available and shipping immediately. Hell, we may see a ton of new hardware, yet Jobs might announce that it will all be shipping in conjunction with Leopard in October. :rolleyes:

KJdanReuben

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
I'm waiting untill after WWDC to purchase my mac pro as well. I don't care if it's not shipping untill Leopard because i'm not in a huge rush. I just figured that it would be worth it to wait.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Ugh.. this is the $3000 question for me... I've been holding off just to see... I hate to buy now if they bump the rest of the line to octo.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I'm waiting untill after WWDC to purchase my mac pro as well. I don't care if it's not shipping untill Leopard because i'm not in a huge rush. I just figured that it would be worth it to wait.

Me too. I'm waiting to see if they are going to do any serious, real, substantial updates to the Mac Pro. I've been waiting for so long, what's a little longer?

I'm going to hold out until they offer some better, 2007 video card options. Who knows, Steve may even surprise us. That is, unless he wastes his entire keynote talking about the iPhone.

diadem

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2006
Glasgow
the thing is you could say "i'll hold of for the next revision" for ever it was the same last year and there was no change made to the mbp line then.

The only change i could see them doing would be the screen in the gfx cards unlikly as theres no real reason as the currant x1600 will run any gfx app for OS X including in 10.4.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
I'm hoping for a GPU update even if its just a BTO option on the Mac Pro's. However I am completely open to the concept they will do nothing to them in the wake of MBP, imac updates and iphone shenanigans.

I'm waiting till WWDC and then i'm pulling the trigger for an octo. I've waited long enough, productivity is suffering, can't wait till October or 08'.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
the thing is you could say "i'll hold of for the next revision" for ever it was the same last year and there was no change made to the mbp line then.

The only change i could see them doing would be the screen in the gfx cards unlikly as theres no real reason as the currant x1600 will run any gfx app for OS X including in 10.4.

This is the Mac Pro we're talking about, not the MBP. :apple:

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
• Gradually Exiting Computer Business? "No. If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it. - Engadget

Yeah, rolling out OS X IN OCTOBER.. Only developers get a real build.

Blah.. pisses me off. We get a stupid telephone but no Leopard as promised.

Anyways, I have a feeling mac pros wont be updated quite yet.

If they are, however, it'll be 8 core across the board. They NEED and I mean NEED to upgrade the video card selection on the mac pros as well. We'll see if they do.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I just want the LED Mac Book, I just want to be more greener so I am going to wait, all this talk is reminding me when I was waiting for Mac Pro, the "waiting for update" or "is this best model or will new one come out?"

Also is there laptops with LED? Just want to take a look at them see whats makes them different.

Thank you

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
I am waiting until WWDC but no longer. If Apple is not planning to update the processors in the Mac Pro until October they should at least update the GPU and RAM in the Mac Pro until then.

KJdanReuben

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Yeah, rolling out OS X IN OCTOBER.. Only developers get a real build.

Blah.. pisses me off. We get a stupid telephone but no Leopard as promised.

Anyways, I have a feeling mac pros wont be updated quite yet.

If they are, however, it'll be 8 core across the board. They NEED and I mean NEED to upgrade the video card selection on the mac pros as well. We'll see if they do.

Same here, waiting for 8 core across the board!

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Just for the record I think we're all wasting our time. I don't think the line up is going to get a bump until July... but there's that small bit of ignorant hope that we're all holding on to.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
We'll have to wait and see.

The rumors are going to pile up right before WWDC and we will soon find out what Leopard is all about and what Steve has up his sleeve for Macs. We have gone over 6-8 (even longer for some others) months since a significant update to any of the Macs (except MacBook).

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Its so damn tough...I'm looking for a new iPod though...

Unless there is an announcement for an SDK for iPod, then iPod would be way off-message for WWDC - this is a developer's conference, not a consumer products conference.

I don't think that Apple can afford to not update their iPods this fall though, but that doesn't mean that they will pull the announcement forward to step on the iPhone frenzy. For the past the past three years, Apple has updated much of their iPod product line in the fall, I really don't see them breaking their pattern to announce a new iPod at WWDC.

Yeah, even if you can wait the 3 weeks until WWDC, there's no guarantee any hardware updates which are announced will actually be available and shipping immediately. Hell, we may see a ton of new hardware, yet Jobs might announce that it will all be shipping in conjunction with Leopard in October. :rolleyes:

I don't think three weeks is that unrealistic, particularly when a lot of the product line could use an update. If you need it NOW, as in that's what your job needs and you don't have something to use in its place, then buy it now. I've done very well in waiting, except for when I lost my nano late last summer. I knew a nano update was highly likely a month later with double the capacity for the same price. I wasn't going to wait a month without having a compact player, so I just bought a new nano right away.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
I'm still one of those fools who's hoping for a headless mac.

God, when was the last time we had one? Was it the G4 cube?

Because honestly, there are some of us who need more power than a corvette 24 inch iMac, but don't need the Saturn V power of a Mac Pro:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.