iPad Pro Desktop style apps for iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JD2015, Sep 12, 2015.

1. JD2015 macrumors 6502

A lot of talk about if the iPad pro is really a professional type of machine. One of the main issues (aside from any hardware limitations) is that it won't run full desktop powered apps.
    What fully capable apps do people want or expect to appear in time for the iPad pro's release? Microsoft and Adobe have already stated they working on updates or new apps for the iPad pro. Apple have also significantly given the iPad pro a lot more horsepower than iPad air 2.

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The iPad already does fully run desktop application such as iWorks (Pages, Numbers & Keynotes), MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote & Outlook.) as well as photo editor pixalmator. Adobe will be launching Creative Cloud Mobile Apps such as Photoshop Fix and Photoshop Sketch. If Adobe's leak of 4GB of RAM in the iPad Pro is true, we will defiantly see more Desktop class apps. The iPad Pro may not run OS X, but that doesn't mean, developers can't make their desktop app fit for the iOS.

3. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

It doesn't run desktop Apps, it runs iPad Apps.

You can connect to your PC, using an App, and use it like a Wacom Cintiq, but better...

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I certainly hope that desktop style apps don't get released for the iPad pro. The simple fact for iPad apps is that they are more efficient at doing similar tasks than their desktop counterparts. It's just an issue for increasing power and capability for the apps so they can process better than their desktop counterparts. For me, I hope there is a DxO app coming so we can get DxO style RAW processing without the junk in the desktop version. Same goes for photoshop, Lightroom, and illustrator. I want to save time processing because that's time better spent on business activities or for other more important things.

5. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

If anything, I'd like to see Final Cut on iPad. If my old Core 2 Duo based MacBook could run it, the iPad Pro should definitely be able to.

6. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Very true... Never really put much thought into it comparing older Macs but it's a compelling argument. Perhaps something that should be tested a bit when they're released?

7. Liffey macrumors regular

Is this confirmed? If I can use it like a Cintiq with my iMac that's an insta-purchase.

8. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Yes, im pretty sure Adobe will launch alot of CC apps with premium packs (in-app purchace) for getting more and more money from the users monthly. They just removed their "pay once app" from Appstore (PSTouch)... so, for a some reason, im not so excited about adobe's plans...

9. Scarlet Siren macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

Would like to see full Photoshop and Lightroom apps for the iPad Pro. That would definitely convince me to buy one.

10. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

Would be so nice to have final cut/aperture/logic on the iPad pro (even if aperture no longer exists)

11. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Yes

Astropad Graphics Tablet por Astro HQ
    https://appsto.re/pt/kc4S3.i

There are other options, but that is a very well regarded for its quality.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Not quite.

iWork for iOS is not a desktop application... at least not when compared to iWork 09. iWork for OSX was severely downgraded functionally in order to provide functional parity with iOS.

MS Office for iPad is NOT a desktop application. Again, it is far more limited than its OSX and Windows versions.

Same goes for Pixelmator.

That is not to say that serious work can't get done on iPads. But lets not claim that these are "desktop class" apps.

Actually, that's what it DOES mean. Developers will not be able to create desktop level apps for iOS until Apple opens up iOS and offers comparable services/APIs to it as it does OSX. Apple deliberately restricts what iOS apps can do on iOS compared to what OSX apps can do on OSX. That is intentional and a well-considered design.

13. Billy95Tech Suspended

I think it will be definitely happen in the future a lot more desktop style apps like Photoshop, Final Cut Pro and will get close nearer to the functionally of there here desktop counter parts but in IOS form. :)

Glad that Ipad Pro runs IOS not OSX and since Ipad Pro is real and runs IOS then i really think IOS will get a lot more advanced and not as limiting on the future! :)

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This is going to come down to how fast this device REALLY is.

Irrespective of Apple's marketing speak, lets put an iPad Pro up against, say an Intel i5 CPU. A very very common medium range chips these days, which can run full desktop apps very well.
    Photoshop, Autocad etc etc.

Would this then show just how slow the iPad Pro is?
    Not slow for a tablet, but slow when up against a normal household PC or iMac?

Can't be THAT hard for someone to write the same/similar code to do various tasks under iOS and on a windows Machine so we can all get a idea of where we are in reality.

I'm sure we'd all love to know the truth.

15. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

I believe that the ipad pro is not designed to run desktop apps in the future. Rather it is designed to connect to a creative cloud where it will run desktop apps within the cloud - in other words the *future* of PCs according to Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, is subscription based applications and storage, not ownership of applications or personal storage devices. I believe that in their perfect corporate world mindset, dependency on subscriptions is much more profitable than independent proprietorship of software and hardware.

16. rowspaxe, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

The A9x seems likely to compare well against an i5, but will probably have better graphics than the current intel on chip HD graphics. Pushing around 3 4k video streams suggests either a lot of cpu power or a lot of optimization. Unclear to me why anyone would want to video edit on a tablet--ergonomic disaster

17. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

The desktop designation goes more to the issue of full functionality--not purchase vs subscription.

18. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

My point was that without the cloud the ipad pro has no desktop functionality , the cloud would have that capability.

19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Well, the new iA Writer went the full nine yards and has a OS X menu bar that's more optimized for touch.

IMG_0869.PNG

I kinda expect more apps to go this way instead of using cogs, paintbrushes, tabs, etc. That would make room for customized toolbars.

20. rowspaxe, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

So the ipad pro will run full desktop apps in the cloud thru some sort of emulation? Dont you need a desktop processor to run desktop applications. Just trying to understand

21. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

And a contradiction of what they are trying to achieve with the iPad Pro...

One can only hope :rolleyes:

Here's a quote from another thread;

"I think the way to ultimately solve this would be to separate iOS builds between iPhone and iPad so that iOS for iPad can move forward without being held back by the iPhone's smaller screen and lesser power, because lets face it, the iPad hardware has moved forward leaps and bounds, it's just the OS that has not. All this aside, realistically at this point in time all we can hope for is extra features in iOS9.1 beta"

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-added-to-ios-to-better-the-ipad-pro.1915565/

22. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

If you're talking about astropad, it's not better than a cintiq. Not by a long shot. Unless it's improved drastically for the pro it's not really in the same ballpark. It can save money if you were planning on having an iPad pro and a desktop anyway, but it's currently not up to speed. Everyone commenting on how great the Apple Pencil is are going on about latency and suchlike, those things aren't great in astropad at all, also there's weird motion compression.

(- someone who owns a Cintiq and an iPad with Astropad.)

23. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

And what if Apple introduces USB 3.0 with the iPad Pro?

That's right...

24. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Well that really depends, doesn't it? So far astropad isn't perfect, has compression weirdness and can't do tilt sensing yet.. But while we're talking about unreleased products - who's to say Wacom won't have fancier small cintiqs out too? Most people buying cintiqs consider the 13" to be too small and buy the 22 or 24" models. You can't really think the iPad pro is "better" than those? :D

There'll also be some very weird resolution considerations with this ridiculously high ppi display being a tablet.. At least with a cintiq you have a full resolution monitor with everything that entails, with astropad it's a lot hackier - but even with full screen mirroring, nobody has screens that resolution so you end up having to zoom and draw in a weird section of the screen.

I'm not dissing astropad, I really like it, but it's a bit fiddlier and less immediate than using a cintiq. (I love how you can do astropad wirelessly though, so cool being able to do photoshop around the house on iPad..)

25. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I'd say it has the potential. If :apple: can make a Pro App SDK, specifically for the iPad Pro, I'd say it could definitely replace a laptop.