Desktops and Fullscreen Apps question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by AdiosVista, Jul 27, 2011.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Just installed Lion last night. I have a quick question regarding desktops and fullscreen apps...

Ideally, what I'd like is for desktop #1 to be iCal in fullscreen, #2 be mail fullscreen, and then use #3 for misc apps like Safari, Word, etc. The problem is when I make any app fullscreen, it automatically shifts to the right and creates a new window. For example, if iCal is in desktop #1 and I make it fullscreen, it creates a new desktop for iCal and makes desktop #1 blank.

Any way around this? It's very frustrating not being able to rearrange desktops when in mission control view.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Mission Control wasn't designed with multitasking or window management in mind. The solution would be to not use full screen apps, and just make their windows as big as you can. That way, you can bind them to specific desktops.

4. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I do think this is the best solution until Apple (hopefully) allows us to rearrange desktops. Thanks for the idea, it'll have to do for now.

5. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Resize you ical and mail windows to fit the whole screen is the best you can do, what's so bad about having your desktop first anyway?

6. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

What's so bad about not wanting an empty desktop first? Shouldn't I be able to rearrange desktops/apps however I want? The obvious answer is yes.