Desmay Slight vs Incipio Feather

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by smitzzz24, Oct 25, 2011.

1. smitzzz24 macrumors member

Does anyone own both of these cases? If so, which do you prefer and why? I've narrowed it down to these 2 cases but am having a hard time deciding. Any opinions are more than welcome!

2. dabears macrumors member

I can only speak on behalf of Desmay Slight.

I just got the case yesterday. I really like it. It's really not going help protect if you were to drop it on a hard surface but if you're looking for a nice sleek case that shows off the phone more then the case itself, then the Desmay is definitely a good choice. I use it primarily to protect my phone against any scratches.

3. SooneratND macrumors regular

Got a Desmay Slight yesterday. Exactly what I was looking for. Crazy thin, but still solid once it is in place.Gives the scratch protection I wanted without adding any bulk.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't know much of anything about the Desmay, but have the Incipio Feather. I chose it due to price and familiarity with the Feather on a former 3GS, plus it was available from Amazon and I had a $5 credit to use w/ Amazon.

The Feather fits solidly, rounds the corners on the back edge well, and I have no problem connecting 3rd party charge/sync cables. As reported for the Desmay, it won't give much drop protection, but if you're looking for that you wouldn't be going for a super-thin shell in the first place.

5. drkash macrumors regular

Does the Desmay add much grip when holding the phone?

6. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Using the feather tight now, and have a Desmay on order.

Feather is nice. I wish it covered the top like the 3G/3GS versions did. The Desmay does cover the top and bottom.

If you're looking for something to help with grip, absolutely stay away from the glossy finish feathers. I'm using my girlfriends pearl white one and it's slick as hell, probably moreso than the glass. My matte versions for my 3GS were fantastic and lasted years.

I will say, however, Incipio has some of the best customer service that you're gonna find.

7. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Talking about Desmay Slight, does it offer any screen protection or you've to have a screen guard separately from desmay ?

8. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I love my Feather cases. Ordered one from Amazon last week and it came with the old iPhone 4 style camera opening. My night photos were all covered in pink haze (my case is pink). Tweeted about it and Incipio responded immediately... even though I didn't buy from them. My replacement case is in the mail.

I have owned about 7 of these cases for my old iPhone 3Gs in a variety of colors and am happy to have one now for my 4s.

Their customer service solidified my allegiance.

9. MacAttacked macrumors member

I bought the Feather at Target and didn't like the coverage. I just don't like the look of a cover that only covers the sides, I prefer something that covers the top and bottom too, to me it looks more uniform. I also noticed a slight gap on the corners and i prefer a snug fit.

My vote is for the Desmay.

10. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

Funny but I picked up the Feather in matte black while I'm waiting for the Desmay to arrive. I actually like the case, the sides not extending to the front I like because a finger sweep across the glass doesn't get interrupted by any lips.

The cutouts for the ringer/mute buttons matches aesthetically with the cutouts for the top and bottom. The matte color is nice, I like the grippiness of the material and it doesn't show greasy fingerprints.

On top of all this the two screen protectors were actually really clear and nice. I used one and was really surprised by the quality of the plastic although it did feel a bit thick. I replaced it with a SGP screen protector once I received that in the mail.

I didn't expect much from the Feather and am truly satisfied. If the Desmay is 3/4s as good as the Feather, I'll be happy.

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I think I would really like a Desmay if they made them in a white. Only close option is clear and I don't think the clear looks as nice on the white phone as a white case does.

Interestingly, I ordered the white gloss Feather from Target and then picked one up in the store. They are different. The one in the store has the full cutout for the mute button and the one from Target mail order has the top ridge around the mute button with full length edges on the front. The mail order fits better and I totally like the more uniform look straight on. Where the edge goes all the way up the left side, the corner stays fitted better. The one with the full cutout actually left the corner loose as there was no edge to
    hold it tight to the phone.

The material is the same on both cases and the SKU coding also the same. The pearl gloss white is really pretty nice. Really not much grip but the case holds up nicely and fingerprints don't scream out at you. In and out of a purse all week and no scratches. I had a Speck Candyshell and that case was terribly scratched and old looking in a couple of days. I originally thought, well it's plastic what do you expect but this Feather just doesn't scratch at all. Much better material than the Speck for sure.

12. jor17 macrumors member

does anyone have any pics of the clear or black desmay with the black 4s?

13. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

naked vs incipio feather vs desmay slight: and the winner is...

No Cover
    [​IMG]

Incipio Feather Matte Black
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Desmay the Slight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No doubt the winner is the Desmay. The Feather looks like a cover on the phone whereas the Desmay almost looks like a part of the phone except for the cutout for the ringer/mute. It's unfortunate that every other opening is tight except for this one.

Neither has front glass protection. The feather comes up to the level of the glass and stops whereas the desmay stops at the aluminum band and the whole top glass is exposed. Definitely the matte feather is more grippy and the desmay is slightly less slippery than the screen. Extra points for desmay with the semi transparent back showing the apple logo.

14. MacAttacked macrumors member

Great pics!

I agree, I really wish the mute cutout was tighter than that. It's my only gripe as well.

15. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

I have the same black feather shown here (love it). Would definitely jump on the Desmay if the hole cutouts were cleaner and more precise. Hopefully this was just a temp in-between stage for the AT&T/Verizon 4 models... looking forward to the true 4S version.

16. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

Wow the Desmay looks really good indeed with a black iPhone 4. However, I have a white one and they don't make a white case for it. I'm not sure if the transparent grey would look that good on my iPhone.

17. MacAttacked macrumors member

Here's the response I got from Desmay regarding an updated case for the 4s .......

Hi,

We did so large to fit both the iPhone 4 and the 4S.

We don't plan to make one specific to the 4S in a near future.

Thanks

Best Regards,

Kelly Wilson

Sales executive
    Desmay
    www.desmay.com

On 30 Oct 2011, at 2:11 PM, info@desmay.com wrote:

Why is the cutout for the mute switch so large on the Slight.*Love the case but don't like the large, offset cutout. Are you working on a Slight that is specific to the 4s?

18. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Desmay all day every day.
    Doesn't make the iPhone cheap looking or feeling.
    Offers a bit of a grip but sony attract fingerprints or dust.

Will probably never go back to a bumper or any case again.

Another key point is you can put on any screen cover and have no issues of it getting lifted or bubble up as this case offer no front display protection, only the frame and back of the iPhone.

Just wished they offered a crystal clear case, the gray is still sharp but it dulls the white iPhone a bit, but its no big deal.

Its Perfect!

19. solo118 macrumors 65816

Very frustrated with the Incipio feather. I went through 3 of them they keep cracking.

Luckily Incipio has a decent warranty and they have sent me 2 new ones (without sending my old one in) Oddly enough I had a crack last week and now they want me to send it in so its on the way to them.

20. dbarnett macrumors newbie

This would be less of an issue if their site didn't show a tight cutout around the mute switch when you order. I understand from a business perspective why they wouldn't want to make 2 cases, but don't sell me one thing and deliver another.

My only beef with the Desmay? It doesn't add much in the way of grip and the large mute button cutout. If those were fixed, it would be a near perfect case for me.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Can you show a photo of the white phone with the transparent gray Desmay? I would also love a white case for the white phone.

22. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

I can see them not wanting to manufacture two versions as clueless people will order the wrong one and then complain about it not fitting. This version is one size fits all 4/4S and no headaches for Desmay.

Since I have the black cover I'm toying with the idea of wrapping where the volume and mute buttons are with Lucky Labs black tape so that the gap is less apparent.

23. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Sure

Attached Files:

24. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Some more

Attached Files:

25. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

The clear/grey looks good enough on the White iPhone. However, I think a crystal clear or White would look amazing. Any chance Desmay releases them? Also, does anyone know how long is shipping to Montreal (Canada)?

Also, don't know if it's just me, but I think cases that cover the top/bottom of iPhones look much better than those who don't. I don't like having bezel on top and bottom and the color of the case on the side.