Desperate... mass sms help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cgrier, Aug 16, 2011.

1. cgrier macrumors member

So im a high school football coach and i just got all my contact info from my players and parents. I used google docs to get the info and i have a nice column in excel of cell phone numbers for everyone.

I thought would be simple but i can't for the life of me figure out how i can somehow send a MASS text out to everyone on my iPhone without creating a contact for every single number (retyping everything) and creating a group. I thought i could just copy and paste the numbers with commas separating the numbers in the iPhone sms app but it doesn't work.

Can anyone please help me figure out what i can do without retyping about 200 cell phone numbers and creating a contact for each? There has to be an easy what to take my neat column of numbers in excel and send a text on my phone. I tried creating a cvs from excel but i got an error.

Running Lion and office for mac 11

2. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Are you using gmail or .me

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Don't add the commas.

EDIT: You probably have to type them in. Sorry. The iPhone has never been good for group messages.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can do this in google voice by entering the number then a comma and space then the next number.

Unfortunately the iPhone only allows multi txts via the + so u add one by one.

5. cgrier thread starter macrumors member

Googie voice? Is that an app on the iPhone?>

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

7. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Ummmm, so you expect to be able to take a random web-based Excel file you generated and have the iPhone send a text message to all the numbers in that file?!

Do some research on the file format needed to import contacts into Gmail, using what you have already as a starting point to get them loaded. Once loaded, just use Google Sync (exchange) on the iPhone and you will be able to mass-text the contacts.