Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I saw it in person for the first time today at BestBuy and it is a gorgeous machine. The keyboard is the best I've ever used. It makes the old style chiclet keyboard seem like something from the 1980s. It's so much better than the 12" Macbook keyboard as well... so hopefully the improvements are brought along for the 2017 12" Macbook.

Still have no clue why this thing is so insanely expensive. Even the non-oled version is ridiculously expensive.

Yeah...amazing that anyone is anything but thrilled with the keyboard. The mushy wobbles of my rMBP and Air are happily in the past.

I've come to believe that the 13" Touchbar is NOT overpriced if you look at the rest of the line. And keep in mind that this is not really a revision as so many things have been added, changed and improved.

What I'd like to see is more standard memory for the next release. At 1799.00, the 13" should have 16 GB rather than 8. With 16 GB you're at 1999.00 at which point the 15" makes more sense for just 400.00 more.

Otherwise...these things are wonderful.

R.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
If you spread Apple's sales of the new MBP over 1.5 years, it still outnumbers the competition massively.

I don't think you've understood the point I'm getting at, here. A new release after a long gap tends to sell really well for the first few days, which may not translate into sustained sales. And it's not really a meaningful comparison to compare a single model to four randomly selected models out of a field of dozens. Why isn't the Dell XPS in there? The Razer Blade? Lenovo machines other than the "Yoga 900"? What makes these four laptops the only ones we're comparing, when there are dozens of models out there?

You see, even because of the fact that a MacBook Pro is more expensive than a Surface Book, the long timeframe of the Surface Book sales makes the Surface Book sales look much better than they are. This even will look awesome for Apple if all sales from those 5 days would be mathematically spread over a timeframe of 1.5 years (that's how long we waited for the new MBP).

Yeah, but why are we looking only at the Surface Book, not the Surface Pro? Why not include other similar models, or competing products?

This feels like comparing all macbook sales to sales of 15" 2016 MBP with 16GB of memory, 1TB SSD, and the 2.8GHz processor only, not counting any 512/2TB models, or 2.6/2.7/2.9GHz CPUs, or whatever. It seems oddly over-specific.

If, instead of exactly one vendor with exactly one "macbook pro", you had eight vendors each of whom were selling 2-3 different models that were roughly comparable, you'd be looking at 16-24x as many models.
[doublepost=1481322223][/doublepost]
Yeah...amazing that anyone is anything but thrilled with the keyboard.

Thanks, doc! I guess I should stop listening to all the medical professionals who've advised me on how to minimize further harm to my wrists, and listen to some random guy on the Internet who is offended that anyone else would have different preferences.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I don't think you've understood the point I'm getting at, here. A new release after a long gap tends to sell really well for the first few days, which may not translate into sustained sales. And it's not really a meaningful comparison to compare a single model to four randomly selected models out of a field of dozens. Why isn't the Dell XPS in there? The Razer Blade? Lenovo machines other than the "Yoga 900"? What makes these four laptops the only ones we're comparing, when there are dozens of models out there?

Yeah, but why are we looking only at the Surface Book, not the Surface Pro? Why not include other similar models, or competing products?

This feels like comparing all macbook sales to sales of 15" 2016 MBP with 16GB of memory, 1TB SSD, and the 2.8GHz processor only, not counting any 512/2TB models, or 2.6/2.7/2.9GHz CPUs, or whatever. It seems oddly over-specific.

If, instead of exactly one vendor with exactly one "macbook pro", you had eight vendors each of whom were selling 2-3 different models that were roughly comparable, you'd be looking at 16-24x as many models.
[doublepost=1481322223][/doublepost]

Thanks, doc! I guess I should stop listening to all the medical professionals who've advised me on how to minimize further harm to my wrists, and listen to some random guy on the Internet who is offended that anyone else would have different preferences.

Boy, people here are just DETERMINED to sprinkle salt all over the new MBP.

I'll start with the last comment 1st.

Did your doctor advise you that the reduced keyboard travel on the 2016 MBP is dangerous to your wrists, because I'd love to hear more about that!

So far as sales go, word of mouth and newer reviews will eclipse the initial buzz killers. It's not like we haven't seen this before.

Look, I hate wasted tech. The Apple Watch is a joke and the iPhone is now chasing the market. But I know a good product when it's in front of me. Your "personal preference" (or mine) means zilch. You have to remove you little needs from the equation, stand back and figure out what the big picture is.

Is this a good product and will it feed the needs of a majority of users? How that question applies to you is moot. Now I happen to "get" this product. It hits 95% of the right notes for me.

I think the elements of the sales report indicate a solid start for this MBP. You have to look at it as a product designed to span 4 or 5 years. This is the infancy stage and it's already very strong.

The market isn't stupid. As a whole it can recognize that both the 13 and 15" models eclipse the last generation. So all that's left is to bemoan the changes and lost standards that buyers must accept or reject.

Apple isn't worried about this. They know how to do it.

R.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The complainers and naysayers are not saying Apple is doomed, but that it's losing it's reputation for quality and reliability by opportunistically releasing products like the new Macbook Pro's just before Christmas knowing full well that they have hardware and software defects like this:
I think they should've released during the summer to iron out the issues.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Did your doctor advise you that the reduced keyboard travel on the 2016 MBP is dangerous to your wrists, because I'd love to hear more about that!

I've been dealing with RSI for a couple of decades now, I've gotten advice on what to watch for. "Reduced travel" in and of itself isn't necessarily a thing, but this particular keyboard does indeed trigger problems. The point is, my doctors have told me what to look for as signs that I need to change a thing, and this keyboard absolutely triggers that. It's not a surprise or anything.

There's a fair number of keyboards out there I can't handle. Mostly I need keyboards with a pretty light touch and tactile feedback with enough travel that my fingers can react to it. I am fine with cherry mx browns, but the black/red/white models tend not to work well for me. Most laptop keyboards are tolerable but not great. Old ThinkPad keyboards are excellent. Every Mac laptop keyboard I've seen since the Pismo has been perfectly adequate, except for the super-thin ones they introduced recently with the Macbook that are now being used on the MBP. The Apple desktop keyboards are a mixed bag, some of them have been pretty awful. The desktop Dell keyboards we got a few years back were incredibly bad.

... But I don't care as much on desktops, since obviously I can replace those.

Point is: Claiming that anyone who dislikes or says they can't use the keyboard just doesn't appreciate it is ridiculous. Sometimes we've got medical issues that you aren't thinking about, and that Apple isn't either. Everyone else seems to be willing to make keyboards I can use.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I've been dealing with RSI for a couple of decades now, I've gotten advice on what to watch for. "Reduced travel" in and of itself isn't necessarily a thing, but this particular keyboard does indeed trigger problems. The point is, my doctors have told me what to look for as signs that I need to change a thing, and this keyboard absolutely triggers that. It's not a surprise or anything.

There's a fair number of keyboards out there I can't handle. Mostly I need keyboards with a pretty light touch and tactile feedback with enough travel that my fingers can react to it. I am fine with cherry mx browns, but the black/red/white models tend not to work well for me. Most laptop keyboards are tolerable but not great. Old ThinkPad keyboards are excellent. Every Mac laptop keyboard I've seen since the Pismo has been perfectly adequate, except for the super-thin ones they introduced recently with the Macbook that are now being used on the MBP. The Apple desktop keyboards are a mixed bag, some of them have been pretty awful. The desktop Dell keyboards we got a few years back were incredibly bad.

Point is: Claiming that anyone who dislikes or says they can't use the keyboard just doesn't appreciate it is ridiculous. Sometimes we've got medical issues that you aren't thinking about, and that Apple isn't either. Everyone else seems to be willing to make keyboards I can use.

Sorry for your issues. I have some of my own.

But they're not Apples concern.

I look at products in the broadest sense possible and judge them accordingly. Within that context the new MacBooks are excellent and will likely sell well; more so as they evolve.

R.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

That's a personal problem. That is not Apples problem.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I have to giggle at some of the comments...

For years and years Apple fans have raved about 3 main things and reasons to get a MacBook.

1. The keyboard was best in class
2. The trackpad was best in class
3. MacOS

Funny how now the hardcore Apple'ites condemn the old keyboard as squishy with terrible backlight and key wobble... Sorry but I just have to laugh...

I suppose the same happened sort of, kind of with the larger phones. For years the iPhone'ites laughed at larger phones and steadily put them down -----> Until -----> Apple released a large phone. Then it was the best thing since microwave popcorn...

I like Apple and their products but sometimes you just have to giggle, scratch head and see the comedy in the comments...

Reactions: eulslix and fireedo

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Erm, you do realise that those figures compare sales of the Map in the first 5 days vs the sales of (most) other laptops since the LAST YEAR? And besides, both the Lenovo Yoga and the MS SurfaceBook are priced very similarly to the MBP. And even if the Inspiron is 2 times cheaper than the MBP on average, it still means that Apple sold more MBPs in the first 5 days than Dell sold Inspirons in last half a year.

Do you have data about that?

You did see on bottom of the graph "us online shoppers" (n was under 13t)... it doesnt show devices bought from the stores or in any other part of the world...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Do you have data about that?

You did see on bottom of the graph "us online shoppers" (n was under 13t)... it doesnt show devices bought from the stores or in any other part of the world...

All very true of course, but is there any reason to assume that the overall picture is very different? E.g. is it true that PC but not Apple laptops are more frequently bought in stores rather online and are people in other areas of the world much more likely to buy another premium laptop etc.?

There is no question that these figures should be interpreted very carefully, but I think its very likely that the trend they depict really exist. For instance, even if we assume that these stats underestimate PC sales 4 times, the picture is still very impressive.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Keyboard RSI? That's the most hilarious thing I ever heard (I'm from a family of doctors).

Your fingers and toes have padding. Millions of years of evolution have given you natural protection against regular small impacts against your digits.

Unless you don't believe in evolution, in that case fantasise all you want.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015

For years and years Apple fans have raved about 3 main things and reasons to get a MacBook.

3. MacOS

Funny how now the hardcore Apple'ites condemn the old keyboard as squishy with terrible backlight and key wobble... Sorry but I just have to laugh...

You realize technology generally improves over time, right?

A 1976 Ferrari actually WAS one of the best sports cars available at that time. That doesn't mean that a 2017 Ferrari won't blow the doors off the 1976 version.

The chiclet-style keyboard looks so old and outdated compared to the new butterfly keys. Butterfly keys are the future. And this 2nd generation is so much better than the ones on the 12" Macbook.

P.S. The trackpad, keyboard and the OS have ALL been updated since the old Macbooks, and they are all better (OS is arguable).

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
You realize technology generally improves over time, right?

A 1976 Ferrari actually WAS one of the best sports cars available at that time. That doesn't mean that a 2017 Ferrari won't blow the doors off the 1976 version.

The chiclet-style keyboard looks so old and outdated compared to the new butterfly keys. Butterfly keys are the future. And this 2nd generation is so much better than the ones on the 12" Macbook.

P.S. The trackpad, keyboard and the OS have ALL been updated since the old Macbooks, and they are all better (OS is arguable).

Really? Technology gets better? :p

You missed the point... Up to about 2 months ago the old KB was described by the Mac'onians as the greatest thing since sliced bread. They raved about it and called anyone who didn't like it out, put them down and ya know.... Now, since they are self justifying the new machines, they have done a 180 and anyone who buys the 2015 or older is an idiot because the KB they so recently praised, is now a wobbly and mushy pile of garbage with terrible key backlighting...

While that may be true of the old KB that's not the tune they were singing 2 months ago...

It's funny....

Me? I like the new KB better but that's not the point...

Reactions: EightyTwenty

Barnfather

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
UK
I haven't read anyone say that the older keyboard is bad, far from it. Just that the latest keyboard makes the previous generation feel wobbly and mushy and old-fashioned. Thats what happens with product improvements.

Reactions: HenryDJP

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I haven't read anyone say that the older keyboard is bad, far from it. Just that the latest keyboard makes the previous generation feel wobbly and mushy and old-fashioned. Thats what happens with product improvements.

It's in numerous, numerous, numerous threads and posts... At any rate, like I said, it makes for a good laugh if nothing else..

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Really? Technology gets better? :p

You missed the point... Up to about 2 months ago the old KB was described by the Mac'onians as the greatest thing since sliced bread. They raved about it and called anyone who didn't like it out, put them down and ya know.... Now, since they are self justifying the new machines, they have done a 180 and anyone who buys the 2015 or older is an idiot because the KB they so recently praised, is now a wobbly and mushy pile of garbage with terrible key backlighting...

While that may be true of the old KB that's not the tune they were singing 2 months ago...

It's funny....

Me? I like the new KB better but that's not the point...

The point I'm making is that just because something was the greatest 2 months ago doesn't mean it is still the greatest, especially in the world of technology. The screen on the 2012 Macbook Pro was acceptible at one time, but it is extremely old and outdated now. I would argue it's unusable compared to the retina screens we have today.

It's just my personal opinion, but the new butterfly keys make for the best keyboard ever created. And I'm far from an Apple fanboi, considering my only apple product is a iPhone 4s (which is complete garbage since iOS9 ruined it).

Reactions: raqball

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I have a 2013 rMBP 13" with 2.4Ghz Dual Core, 16GB, 1TB SSD. I upgrade once each specs doubles. Quad cores, 32GB, 2TB SSD. The cost of the machine are roughly $3000. I am not dropping this cash for the touchbar.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Sorry for your issues. I have some of my own.

But they're not Apples concern.

R.
And there in lies the issue. People look for different things in their devices. LOTS of people liked aspects of the MBP, that e has chosen to change, remove, glue/solder in, etc...

Apple hasn't buggered up what you enjoy about the MBP, congrats. But why so ANGRY about people expressing their displeasure with Apple removing what OTHER people used to enjoy?

Seems that some here actually lol that others are disappointed.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California

3. MacOS

I suppose the same happened sort of, kind of with the larger phones. For years the iPhone'ites laughed at larger phones and steadily put them down -----> Until -----> Apple released a large phone. Then it was the best thing since microwave popcorn...

I like Apple and their products but sometimes you just have to giggle, scratch head and see the comedy in the comments...

You must be referring to iSheep. I never thought the Apple keyboard was quality. I never knew anyone who raved about it. It's always been just a "keyboard." I thought the trackpad was too small and I actually bought the larger external one. I do like MacOS. I wished the screen was brighter.

Looks like I got plenty with the upgrade and even more than I hoped.

R

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
This is a great example of how a little bit of information is worse than no information at all.

As outlined well in this thread, there are so many little intentionally misleading data points collected (and ignored) to generate that graph, it's like something out of Stalinist Russia.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I think its pathetic that I see the same punks chasing down every thread that has anything to do with the success of the MB. Then they fill it with their BS negativity. I mean post after post trying to prove to happy customers that they are wrong and the new MB is flawed. What a life.

Jealousy or just trying to justify their choice to not buy. The real deal is they can't be happy seeing someone else is happy doing what they didn't or can't. So they come back again and again, trying hard to rain on a parade.

Happily...that parade will march on because this is a truly sweet new machine. ✌️

R.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Since when does Apple report shipments to ANYONE.

Anyway, so what if this data is true it just proves there is pent up demand and an impending holiday. Yahoo..

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
And there in lies the issue. People look for different things in their devices. LOTS of people liked aspects of the MBP, that e has chosen to change, remove, glue/solder in, etc...

Apple hasn't buggered up what you enjoy about the MBP, congrats. But why so ANGRY about people expressing their displeasure with Apple removing what OTHER people used to enjoy?

Seems that some here actually lol that others are disappointed.

It's the REPETITIVE element of the negative posts that is wearing. Buy a different product and move on with your lives.

R
[doublepost=1481393706][/doublepost]
Since when does Apple report shipments to ANYONE.

Anyway, so what if this data is true it just proves there is pent up demand and an impending holiday. Yahoo..

As I posted elsewhere, I've got a friend at an LA Apple Store. The new MacBook Pro is selling very well. Why wouldn't it?

R.

Reactions: HenryDJP

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Jealousy or just trying to justify their choice to not buy. The real deal is they can't be happy seeing someone else is happy doing what they didn't or can't. So they come back again and again, trying hard to rain on a parade.

Happily...that parade will march on because this is a truly sweet new machine. ✌️

R.

At least you've quit calling everyone who does not see the value and didn't buy it because of that broke bums who can't afford it.. I'll go ahead and call this progress...

Now they are just jealous and don't want to see anyone happy? LOL.. Still pathetic put downs but slightly better than how you've acted before....

Reactions: Count Blah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.