Detailed Panther Info and Screenshots

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 4, 2003.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

ThinkSecret and MacOSXRumors posted their screenshots and details of the developer's release of Panther.

Meanwhile, RailHeadDesign has posted an easy to follow and extensive screenshot-walkthrough of Panther. (Click on Various Page, then An OS X 10.3 Panther Visual Tour)

2. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i like the detailed tour on RailHeadDesign, very nice. I think Panther will be a good OS when it's ironed out, I didn't like the icon ghosting when i first used it, but it grows on you, and the window frames, well, still don't like them, but they'll be li'l hacks on versiontracker when it's released for sure....

thanks for the links :)

:edit: some great things i love though.... exposé and the fast user switching are very very slick, even on a g3 iBook

3. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Desktop and Screensaver pref panes are now combined as "Destop & Screen Saver" including the spelling error. :D

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I am anxious to see Think Secret's reports on Panther throughout this summer. Although I wasn't on the Mac scene when Jaguar was in beta, I understand that TS had some in-depth reports. Hopefully they'll pull through again.

5. markiv810 macrumors regular

6. Raiden macrumors regular

macosxrumors claims ICQ support for ichatAV!! Cool!

7. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Ditto on RailHeadDesign's walkthrough. Very Apple. Thanks for the link AND thanks to the rep of the McCown clan for nice work.

My only complaint is that my 15" screen requires too much scrolling, damnme. ;)

dot

non-sequitur: desperately seeking hand-me-down 23" LCD with CPU and accoutrements. G4 OK. Gratis a must.

8. MacManDan macrumors 6502

I'm impressed with the detail that went into RAILhead's picture walk-through. That guy always happens to come out with quality work!

hmm .. the new "Start up at a specified time" feature is one tiny upgrade that I will gladly welcome.....

9. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

very nice. its all beginning to grow on me. i really love the new AND FAST navigation of the finder. love the way the open and save dialogs work. oh and how you can click on the upper right finder window button to hide the new itunes-like layout of the finder windows, nice to have the option to view the finder windows like they are now just by a click of that button. i didnt like the new grey finder at first but with the new G5's this OS is going to look and feel so fine, and so generous and thoughtful towards professionals.

apple has never (that i can remember) been so attractive.

10. C14ru5 macrumors member

My favorite feature: Logout after X minutes of inactivity. I've been missing this feature from MacOS 9 ever since OS X came out. This is perfect for public terminal machines, say at an internet café. This in combination with automatic startup/shutdown scheduling and fast user switching is a winner!

11. vniow macrumors G4

I hope this isn't too off topic but its sorta related...

Does anyone know if Panther's Finder is Carbon or Cocoa?

12. C14ru5 macrumors member

I see no reason why the Panther Finder should be Cocoa. Finder is made up of so many lines of code that such a rewrite brobably wouldn't be worth the effort of the Apple Developers. And any Mac user who wishes to use a cocoa UI can simply run Path Finder instead.

13. vniow macrumors G4

With Cocoa apps, its easier to remove/add the metal appearence...

14. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Finally

So, we finally see people appreciating the missing "goodies" from OS 9.

And finally , the OS of (the greatest) graphic artists now include a proper font managing system. It´s finally time to ditch Suitcase!

15. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The DVD player shot did not have the streeking effects that appear in interlaced DVDs in the old DVD player. I hope this means Apple has included hardware de-interlacing because the DVD looked like a DVD that would normally have interlacing on it (not a film DVD). For me this is worth the price of the upgrade alone.

I also prefer the new Aqua theme, it looks much better than 10.2. Although if anyone wants that theme on their Mac now, they can get it from www.maxthemes.com and install it on 10.1.x or 10.2.x.

For anyone out there that is using 10.3, can you tell me if the DVD player really does do hardware de-interlacing?

16. steve-dave macrumors newbie

Everything I've seen says that the finder has been completely rewritten. And I'm sure if Apple did a total rewrite it would have been in Cocoa not Carbon.

The finder is one of the most important elements of the UI so it stands to reason that if Apple was planning on rewriting anything the finder would be near the top of the list (after all the major work foundation work is complete).

17. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

It looks like Apple does a lot of "logical cleanup" in Panther. Such as combining logical panes in System Prefs. or simplifying the Activity Monitor. My only complain: still no themes!!!

18. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Very Different?

I'm not a long-time Mac user, but there don't seem to be THAT many differences. I like the Expose feature, though.

Actually, I'm still getting to know Jaguar.

Squire

19. The Grimace macrumors member

New tabbed interface

I was just walking through RailHead Designs tour, and couldn't help but notice that the 'tabs' design seems to have changed. Personally, I like it. Just a thought.

(tig)

20. markomarko macrumors member

Fast User Switching

One thing I've noticed that is lacking in the version of Panther I've been playing with, as opposed to what Steve demoed at wwdc is fast user switching without password. (One other thing: powerbook battery life is greatly reduced in this version. Let's hope that's fixed for primetime).

If anyone has any insight as to how to enable fast user switching without password please let me know...

21. scan300 macrumors 6502

Re: Finally

Be careful. The auto activation feature in fontbook may only work with Cocoa apps. There are only a few design apps with are Cocoa, most are carbon. They don't use the new font menu which can show your sets and families etc. Suitcase may hang around for a little while yet.

22. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Re: Fast User Switching

My fiancee set up an account on my PB with the fast user switching. The only way we can have it work without the password is by going into System Preferences and leaving the password blank in Accounts.

So far that's the only way it will work without the password.

23. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

24. rockman2023 macrumors member

WHOA!!!

WHOA! I found this link on one of the FunMac threads: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=6548 and it states:
    HA! You'd never have to upgrade a G5 to a G6 for as long as you live!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!

25. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Re: Re: Finally

There´s always a hitch, isn´t it?