Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
What product has Apple ever crippled? Why can't people simly understand how technology works. If it progresses enough for a good experience Apple uses it. If it's not ready, Apple holds it back. Why would Apple hold something back when we all know technology keeps progressing? It does not serve the customer or them to delay anything for monetary reasons.

The original iPad didn't have camera, the subsequent ones had ****** quality cameras. There is no reason they couldn't put the superior iPhone camera in them but they want to hold back stuff so they can have something to talk about on the next release.

Makes total business sense, but kinda sucks when you know the product could have been better if they wanted it to. Kinda like some sports cars which have their engines limited so as not to take sales away from the more expensive model.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
In the past I haven't really cared either way about NFC. But recently I got a g3 as a secondary device and decided to try nfc out. I bought a coffee at McDonald's and it was a very smooth process. I wouldn't mind it in my iPhone which is the phone usually take out with me.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
many people have both?

Agreed. I just got a Nexus 7 for my mom, and the screen just feels too small for a tablet. The iPad mini on the other hand feels like the right size for a small tablet.

I have the nexus 7 and a mini. I don't mind using either. I like the nexus keyboard more... I like the iPad mini screen size more for games and browsing. Of course... It is twice the price. If the nexus were the same size with smaller bezel it'd be wicked at 1/2 the price.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Aside from the larger screen I am most excited (and hoping for) NFC. If Apple is implementing it you can bet that they were/are very strict about security (yes I am aware nothing si 100% secure but there have been some security issues with NFC thus far). I also feel that Apple adopting NFC is what it will take for the standard to make it big (in the US anyway). And that is actually a huge win for all of the folks with devices that have had NFC built in for ages (inlcuding me).

I really, REALLY hope we see both sizes of the iPhone launch at the same time though. If all we see is 4.7" initially I will be torn on whether I should wait (on something that is potentially vaporware) or not!

(I really enjoyed using parenthesis a lot today)

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
I know it hurts, we all want sapphire, but Apple does this all the time. Intentionally cripple a product so they can have a talking point for the "s" release.

iPhone 6S, now with impenetrable sapphire display!!!! Magic!

No it doesn't.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I know it hurts, we all want sapphire, but Apple does this all the time. Intentionally cripple a product so they can have a talking point for the "s" release.

iPhone 6S, now with impenetrable sapphire display!!!! Magic!

No, not all of us so please stop speaking for others.
I couldn't care less about the screen's material.
Btw, you dud read that they JUST ramped up mass production for sapphire?
Do you really won't a barely tested technology in your next phone?
Then maybe android is your perfect playground.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Fugly!

I hope all the concept photos etc. are fake. The rounded edges look like carp and too much like Samsung etc. Hope the heck Apple stick to the beveled edge.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Agreed, because its harder, won't it also be more prone to shattering?

Yes. And because of that it need to be thicker (and heavier) as well. But it seems that most people mean some previously unknown sapphire laminate when they say "sapphire", not actual sapphire glass.

----------

Just because a company is publically traded does not mean that it is for sale. Two entirely different things.

----------

The reason sapphire is used on watches is to protect the watch from scratches.
The reason sapphire would be used on the iPhone is to protect it from scratches.
Explain how that would make no difference when sapphire is already used on the iPhone for the camera lens and home button to prevent scratches. :rolleyes:

Have you ever seen 4.7" or 5.5" watch faces?

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
No sapphire, actually a bit of sapphire, some with some without, no no sapphire is happening... maybe? NFC no, no chance, but actually yes but no.

Guys we have a month left just chill out. :cool:

Most definitely probably could possibly maybe should likely because rumors are true! Yikes!!!

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
What product has Apple ever crippled? Why can't people simly understand how technology works. If it progresses enough for a good experience Apple uses it. If it's not ready, Apple holds it back. Why would Apple hold something back when we all know technology keeps progressing? It does not serve the customer or them to delay anything for monetary reasons.

Yep....that is why the gimped the first iPhone with 2g radios because 3G wasn't ready, or because cut n paste wasn't ready...or no camera, or no removable battery. Expandable memory will never be ready. Thank goodness we have been protected from useable touch keyboards....

They never have released unfinished products...maps, Siri? /s

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I am sure it wasn't ruining iOS and it did not have the premium quality of the iPhone.

Do you know of any 4.7 inch phones running iOS with premium feel of an iPhone? It wasn't because they don't exist...and didn't in 2011?

Last edited:

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Either way, once it's in a case, it's a moot point.

Thank you!

I'm always amazed that this forum rattles on and on about how the phone looks when most of them will stick it in a cheap plastic case anyway. All most people see of their iPhones is the screen.

I can't remember the last time I saw someone use an iPhone that wasn't in a case. My partner recently bought a 5s, went on about how great it looked and promptly clicked a case onto it. A case which cost £30. £30!

Madness.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Am I the only one tired of all these new reports, especially from questionable sources? MR should at least mention about some credibility of the source because as of right now, I'm taking everything in with a grain of salt.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
I won't be too disappointed if sapphire doesn't come til next year.

What will make me sad is having to endure wait til December to get my hands on a 5.5 when the 4.7 is available mid/late-September.

I really hope for a simultaneous launch. The backlash from early adopters of the 4.7 could be far worse than potential cannibalization that was experienced by the 5c . . .

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
All theses rumors seen to revolve around one another just like the Mockups
I'm not putting any credibility into this rumor

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Can anybody see Apple doing NFC at this point in time????? I am getting the feeling that a lot of these people want to speculate and put "APPLE" in the headline to get hits.

If they want to get into mobile payments, they have to. Most new POS terminals already support NFC. In a few years time, every POS terminal will be able to support contactless payments using NFC.

NFC is exceptionally useful in two cases:
- Transit
- Payments

And what most people seem to be forgetting, is that NFC actually is being widely used throughout the world. Just not with phones, but with cards. NFC is already here and it's already being used extensively throughout the world (except the US, which is why most people here don't understand the use :) ).

What can a phone with NFC do?
- Replace your transit card
- Replace your debit or credit card
- Receive vouchers
- Receive receipts

That's what the use of NFC is, not something like "bump and share", which is something Apple made fun of.

Last edited:

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Why has Apple not purchased GT Advanced? Is there any reason for it? It's not like they're short on cash.

Because they don't need to. What GTAT does is sell their technology, and even run the facilities, for their customers. That's exactly what Apple did. So Apple has full access to all of GTATs proprietary technology relating to sapphire production, and even has GTAT to run the facility. All Apple had to do was pay for the facility and equipment and pay for the deal to access GTATs technology.

So they basically ended up with the same result. They own all the technology relating to the particular area they were interested in. GTAT does a lot of other things that may not have been any interest to Apples needs. They don't have to deal with all the excess and employees, they simply got exactly what they wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.