Details about Best Buy launch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melman101, Mar 3, 2011.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Does anyone know what time Best Buy will be selling these on the 11th?

I have $200 bucks in Best Buy gift cards! Gotta buy it from there, but I'll feel so dirty. Oh well.

Thanks.

Mel

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

Well, apart from knowing that BBY will have the iPad 2 on the 11th, I wouldn't imagine they'll be opening early (I heard Apple stores will open their doors ar 5am or something super early)?

3. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I'm under the assumption that iPads won't be available until 5PM anywhere.

4. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

That would be crazy. But that's fine. I'll just make sure I have to leave work at 4:30pm :).

I hope Best Buy won't be as crowded as an Apple Store on a launch day. LOL. Hope I'll be able to get one.

5. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Still no definitive details on the Best Buy launch??

6. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

if there were details, they would be posted...

7. advan031 macrumors 6502

According to applesinsider it will be 5pm on the 11th @ Best Buy like the Apple Store.

I'll be taking a half day at work:p

8. Davichi macrumors 6502

Last year, each BB stores only had 5 units per model. 16GB, 32GB and 64GB= so they had 15 units.

I wonder how many they will have this time.

I have a strong feeling that this iPad will not sell out because there are a lot of people who already bought iPads. It will sell very well though.

9. NJBlackBerry macrumors member

I walked into the local Best Buy around 1PM on launch day (for the iPad) and they had piles of all three models in stock. No lines. No getting up at 5AM to wait at the Apple Store.

10. budman1961 macrumors regular

Not too sure about that...the BB I purchased had 24 16 gigs, 12 32's, and 6 64's...

I have a feeling that there wil be plenty to go around.

11. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I'll be at Best Buy because I have certificates to use too. I'm taking a chance and bringing the 10% off coupon from the Post Office Mover's Guide.

12. Davichi macrumors 6502

I hope I am wrong and you are right. I don't care about 64GB model. I only want 16GB model model in white.

There is no chance that I will be able to get off my work before 5PM next friday. By the time, I walk into my local best buy, it will be like 6-7 PM. I am hoping and praying that I won't be late to get one. I have no apple store around in my area. I really want white iPad 16Gb. If I fail to pick one up at launch day, then I will have no choice but to order online.

13. cstephens7871 macrumors newbie

I'm an Apple Expert at a Best Buy and here is how it generally works. There are some stores, (ASC STORES), that have a full time Apple representative inside 48 hours a week. Those stores generally get higher volumes of product than the others. That is how it was last year at least and I am assuming it wont be much different this year. Last year, we barely got the iPads in store before we opened. Im hoping it is not as hectic this year.

14. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Cool. I'm going to try the one in Midtown Manhattan on 5th ave. Hopefully they will have plenty of stock.

15. JROC453 macrumors regular

I'm hoping they will have enough 64gb in black. I bought a iPad 64gb from them 2 weeks ago. I called the store to see if I can exchange it for a new one on launch day. They said it wont be a issue. I get out of work at 4pm and I should be there by 4:30pm. I was going to return it this week but the manager said they will just exchange it. So now I just have to hope they will have enough of the black 64gb by then.:confused: I am a platinum rewards member so I have till March 29th to return it or exchange it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will all work out.

16. perplex macrumors regular

best buy! reward zone FTW. im also a platinum member.

17. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I will be getting a 64GB w/ 3G. I wonder if Best Buy and Wal-Mart will be getting the 3G on day 1?

18. fishcube macrumors 6502

I plan to buy from BB, since closest Apple store is 2 1/2 hours away. Just wondering if there will be a line. I plan on being in town all day, so will be checking.

How do they do the line, when the store opens normal hours? Do they have the Ipad people stand outside or will they start the line indoors?

anyone bringing chairs just in case? :)

19. MJedi, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Last year when the iPad 3G was released at 5pm, I walked into my local Best Buy (one with a mini Apple Store inside) at 4:30pm. There was a section to line up inside, and I was third in line. The employees were handing out printed vouchers for the model you wanted. Only 1 per customer. At 5pm, another employee walked in with the iPads on hand, and gave each of us in line the model we wanted. There were about 10 of us in line by 5pm.

I'm thinking this time around, there will be more people because both Wi-Fi and 3G models will be released at the same time.

EDIT: Just called that same Best Buy store, and the employee said they won't get the iPad 2 until March 15. I mentioned that their own Web site seems to say it will be available from them on March 11 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-PCs/iPad-Tablets/pcmcat209000050006.c?id=pcmcat209000050006) but the 15th is what the employee said.

20. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

I called Apples customer service yesterday and they said that Bestbuy will have the iPad 2 on March 11. I asked about pre ordering there and the guy told me he doesn't not know if Best Buy will allows a pre order and to call them.

I called my local bestbuy shortly after and the person I spoke to said he know nothing about how many, or when, they will start selling them and to call back sometime middle of next week.

I would love to earn reward points for the purchase of my iPad and the iPad I will be getting for my dad.

21. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Chances of seeing iPad-2 in bestbuy store on March 11th is slim to none based on this next week in-store advertisement.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2723891

If Bestbuy was selling iPad-2 in store on March-11th we would see it advertised in their weekly flyer as it is a newer product.

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Not necessarily. That ad could've been printed Monday or Tuesday which would explain why the iPad 2 is not on there. Just a guesstimate on my part.

23. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

This isn't true at all. They didn't advertise the iPad in their circulars until quite a few weeks after the launch of the original and Best Buys with Apple Stores had them on launch day.

If I remember correctly, they didn't even advertise the iPad until all Best Buy stores, not just the ones with Apple Stores, started selling them, which was at least a month or two after release.

24. fishcube macrumors 6502

25. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Yeah, it doesn't. Maybe the stores will get more information about availability next week. Like many here, I prefer to get the iPad 2 at Best Buy to use gift cards, RewardZone certificates and to earn more RewardZone points. And the 18-month (or more) financing doesn't hurt either.