Details of iPhone 2.0.2 Firmware 3G Connectivity Improvements?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

RoughlyDrafted reports on details of the iPhone 2.0.2 firmware 3G connectivity improvements. According to a "source close to AT&T," the connectivity issues have been caused by iPhones demanding that cell towers devote more power than necessary to their connections. When a "critical mass" of iPhones, all demanding excessive amounts of power, are connected to a cell tower, the transmitter runs out of power and begins dropping calls and degrading data delivery. The 2.0.2 firmware update is said to address this issue via modifications to the power control algorithm.

The source also clarifies that iPhones running 2.0 and 2.0.1 firmware are continuing to cause problems for all users, which explains why many users have reported that connection issues persisted after they updated their iPhones. This also explains the advertising push for the 2.0.2 update seen with Apple adding a banner ad to the iPhone App Store and AT&T sending text messages to users encouraging them to update their iPhones.

Apple is due to release a software update for the iPhone in September, but it is not known whether it will include changes to further address the connectivity issues.

Article Link

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

3. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Hear that everyone? UPDATE YOUR PHONES! *Sigh* Even with these problems, I wish there was 3G in my area. I finally got to use it the other day...and I hate EDGE even more now.

4. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

What do you mean, change the speeds? If you're talking about 3G data, presumably the more people that download this update, the better off everyone will be. The reason why I think the few who downloaded 2.0.2 early on are having degrading/non existent services is because not only are the other iPhones w/o the update demanding a large amount of power, but the updated phones are probably moved down the priority list for service due to the lower power request. Just a thought. I'm probably buying one soon, so it would be nice if this got cleared up (not just for me, but for everyone ;))

Ninja edit: After more throughly reading the article, my idea has substance! Sweet. Everyone update those iPhones!

5. moonzilla macrumors regular

all i know is that my reception has been worse since the 2.0.2 update. in fact, ive had more dropped calls in the past 3 days than at any other point with the 3g

6. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

dropping calls all over the place, so doubtful anything improved . . .

7. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

They should lock the iPhone until people update their firmware!

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Either this is true or some really good BS. It makes sense, but I don't think it will fix the issue at my work location with a "bad" tower. I thought I read somewhere that said different bands transmit better through buildings (850 vs. 2100, etc). I have two towers by my work (north and south). If I walk to the north building I can get perfect call quality with two bars, but if I walk from the north building to the south building I drop the call I am on and connect to the south tower and my phone is unusable with two bars and drops over and over.

Between the thread proving good signal quality of iPhone 3G, I think the signal issues are primarily the immature 3G network from AT&T here in the US at least.

9. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

You know, they really should. Without doing something like that, Apple risks damaging their rep even more. The reason why people with 2.0.2 are getting crappy reception is because of all the users who haven't upgraded.

10. kennycheng93 macrumors member

No difference for me

I don't have any issues since day 1. I'm just lucky.

11. ks-man macrumors 6502a

This would imply that people would gradually start seeing improvements as more people update.

I don't know about others but I haven't been seeing anything get better from the first day I upgraded until now.

It also makes you wonder why in some areas there aren't any problems. I may just be cynical but it sounds like a spin job to me allowing all to say it isn't my fault, we need all users to participate in solving the problem.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd like to see firmware that make stuff worse. :rolleyes:

13. jmadlena Guest

My 3G reception has been alright, but just today my iPhone stopped ringing some of the time. I randomly had missed calls today, when it clearly never received a call. I don't know if this has to do with the issue at hand, but I hope 2.1 fixes it! I can't be missing half of my calls.

14. sebastianlewis macrumors regular

Instead of doing that, Apple would be far better off auto-updating iPhones with bug fix releases instead of actually damaging their reputation by locking people out because they're not running the latest software, you think that would seriously be better?

Sebastian

15. gibbz macrumors 68030

IF this is true..... people, update your darn phones!!!

16. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Personally, I'd be happier with Apple knowing there was a fix and making me fix it than if I was having problems and had to rely on myself to fix it; it would be more responsible of them in lieu of all of the problems lately. Apple's reputation would suffer more from crappy service than being locked out in order to fix your problems, IMO. But if Apple could do an auto-update, I do agree that would be the better choice.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Same here, sans the dropped calls, with a 2.5G.

God forbid Apple should have that kind of power over MY iPhone.

18. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

I'm on an original iPhone, running 2.0.2 and my reception has never been worse. I can no longer send/receive calls at my house. Period. Which has never once been an issue until 2.0.2. And with no land line - this has proven very problematic.
    And there is a huge AT&T tower at the end of my street.
    I can see it form my house.
    Seriously.

I don't get it.
    But what I DO get is that since 2.0, my iPhone experience has been pretty blah (which is still better than any phone I ever used, but still... 1.1.4 was SO perfect. F the App Store if it means all of these issues).

Sorry. Just not been a happy iPhone user for the past few weeks - which is a new emotion for me. :p

19. varscsak macrumors newbie

It's seems weird that they wouldn't be able to solve this problem on the cell tower end. A manufacture of a phone can bring down a cell network...that seems odd.

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Heh...went to carphonewarehouse yesterday and all their display phones were running 2.0. Apple store phones on the other hand had been updated to 2.0.2

21. guet macrumors member

Funny how the iPhone is working fine on other networks, like O2, isn't it. I don't see floods of complaints on the O2 forums, yet AT&T users are having real problems in built up areas.

22. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

Exactly. I'm not sure about the Rogers network here. But, anyway... break the carrier monopoly!

http://www.notrogers.com/

23. cenetti macrumors 6502

People on this site are already using 2.0.2.
    I met a girl tonight at the bar, she was bragging about her iphone and I asked her if she upgraded her firmware, she gave me this dumb blonde look. Then I asked if she received a sms from ATT, then she said "oh I thought it was an Att advertisement or something like that, I deleted it."

there are way toooo many people out there who don't even know what firmware is.

Good luck getting everyone update....it'll take months

24. julianps macrumors member

julianps

Throttling?

Could it be that O2, like Orange in France, are throttling iPhone bandwidth to provide a uniform and consistent experience across the network?

Orange have said that they'll remove the choke on September 15th. Maybe they're rolling out a "tower upgrade" or maybe they believe Apple's 202 fix will be ubiquitous by that time?

jiF

25. henhowc macrumors regular

Shouldn't this be affecting other non-iPhone users? I'm a little bit out of the loop as I just picked up my iPhone days ago.

Sounds like BS to me until Apple confirms that this is the issue.