Details on Apple TV and Spectrum Cable?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by yeah3x, Jun 7, 2018.

1. yeah3x macrumors member

I am a Spectrum Cable subscriber currently with two cable boxes and Spectrum internet. I know one box will still be required in the house, but I was looking into getting an Apple TV after news from WWDC that you can use the Apple TV as a cable box replacement. Normally I would wait for details before getting one, but DirecTV Now is running a promotion to pay $105 (three months of Now) and get an Apple TV 4K. I was thinking about doing that and cancelling the service at three months. The deal ends tomorrow which is why I am hoping to get some questions answered.

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv?..._13256212_&CI=CJ_AFFILIATE&RI=CJ1&RD=37922269

Does anyone know if Apple TV will have access to all DVR recordings with no limitations? And does anyone know if all the same channels will be available to access? Basically is this a full box replacement or just a side streaming app with no FF / rewind features? Thanks for any help.

2. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Spectrum currently has a Roku app. The channels are all live streamed to the Roku. I believe it is 100% of the channels, but I am basing this off of recollection of a relative's service (he actually works for Charter). I don't believe it has DVR capabilities, but it does have on-demand access. Further, the Spectrum sign-in can be used on other on-demand apps on Roku and AppleTV.

DTVNow does have (limited) cloud DVR. Eventually, I suspect Spectrum will do the same. Whether it will be out of the gate with the ATV app or not, unsure.

I understand streaming is a subscription option, in lieu of traditional cable. I am not sure of the price of stream vs cable, but suspect it is less. Certainly, no rental fees.

I recall Charter offered free or subsidized Roku when they initially launched streaming, maybe they will do that for ATV?

3. yeah3x thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it might be best to just wait it out since I wasn't planning on using DTV Now. Thanks for the info. If there's a Spectrum deal when they launch I'll check it out.

4. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Update to my previous post. Spoke to my relative. Charter offers employees free service, even if they live outside the Spectrum service area. It includes everything (HBO, Max, ShowTime, you name it), but it is a different "plan" than what is offered to customers in market areas because it is a employee benefit and enables them to be familiar with the companies products.

With customer streaming services offered on Roku, during initial testing in NY, they offered 1 free Roku with the service. But, they stopped doing that before rolling it out nationwide. Their streaming service does not offer 100% of the channels, primarily Sports networks prohibit them from doing so. But, it is pretty close to a match to traditional service. Streaming-only does not currently offer DVR.

When the app comes out for ATV, it may not tied to the same constraints. Cable companies know they are losing business to streaming services, and are pleading with content providers to lift restrictions so they can compete head to head. I suspect most contracts between content providers and cable companies today are hold over from the days before streaming. It is these agreements which limit the apps on ATV\Roku, etc that you can use your cable login to authenticate. These agreements are very non-standard, its a real mess.

All this to say, we will have to wait and see what they do for the ATV rollout. TWC and Charter were both pretty much ahead of the curve a few years ago, but got bogged down by the merger. I have worked with both on back end solutions my company offers to them and have always known both to be pretty tech savvy compared to others in their industry. So, the ATV launch, being announced by Apple so publicly is probably a hint that this is going to be a big deal. I suspect there are quite a few details Apple glossed over and when the service goes live, it will make a splash.

Keep in mind, as cable companies lose TV business, they are looking to beef up other services, including offering mobile phone service. I believe they advocate tearing down the regulations limiting TV service areas so they can offer TV content to any subscriber, anywhere in the US, regardless of internet provider. Streaming is a much easier way than leasing other cable company coax lines the way phone companies did when they were deregulated.

He had not heard of this development, it is not yet reaching the rank and file workers. But, now that he is aware, he will start making inquiries and update me on details as they become known.

5. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Unless something changed recently, the Roku app was missing several channels. If I recall, random channels like ESPN 2 weren't available. It certainly doesn't include all your subscribed channels. I assume it is a contract situation that gets resolved whenever they re-up their deals with the networks.

The app works fine but I'm not sure it is a replacement for a cable box unless you don't care for DVR. For a secondary TV it will work fine but no one is going to replace their TV service with this. You would be much better off going for a true streaming TV service.

6. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

As I stated in my second post: Their streaming service does not offer 100% of the channels, primarily Sports networks prohibit them from doing so.

But, again, Spectrum may be looking to do something bigger with their ATV offering, you will have to wait and see.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

A true streaming TV service, like DirecTV Now or Sling? Neither of them offer local channels for most of the United States. It may offer for most people, since they're in larger cities. I think in Texas, unless you're in Austin, Houston, or DFW, you get no locals.

With Spectrum, this may be possible. I'd gladly sacrifice ESPN2 for KIII.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Without a DVR, I can't imagine using this app only. BTW, Youtube TV carries all of the locals on on many markets.

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Not in my market. I can’t get them streamed anywhere.