Details on HomePod's Setup Process Surface in Newest iOS 11 Developer Beta [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Almost one month after the HomePod's firmware first began revealing tidbits about Apple's upcoming smart speaker, the iPhone 8, and even the Apple Watch Series 3, today iHelp BR has a few more pieces of information on the setup process for the HomePod. Interestingly, the site noted that the data doesn't come from HomePod firmware, but was discovered within the seventh iOS 11 beta, seeded to developers yesterday.

The new details suggest in broad strokes what users can expect when they first open their HomePod and sync it with an iPhone. Although HomePod lacks a W1 chip, the speaker will connect and pair with iOS devices in some capacity, and one new image discovered within the iOS 11 developer beta shows off a user interface similar to that of the AirPods pairing screen.

[​IMG]

The next screen that appears on iOS references a HomePod setup process similar to the initial setup of an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, with the major difference being that "Siri must be present in almost the entire process." At one point, a string of code suggests that Siri will read out a four digit code to the user, which is then entered on the paired iOS device as a form of authentication.

A similar string mentions that users will need to enter the last four digits of the HomePod's serial number, or the iOS device's serial number, although some of these processes might be tied to repeatedly failed setup attempts as a form of security.

Users will need to confirm their Apple ID in order to sync iCloud and Apple Music with HomePod, and in addition the new data said that Apple accounts without two-factor authentication or iCloud Keychain enabled will not be able to complete some steps in the pairing process. The iOS 11 code strings also mention that "you must be connected to a WPA/WPA2 Personal Wi-Fi network to set up your HomePod."

On HomePod, users will be able to choose the accent of Siri and the gender of the voice assistant, agree or disagree to send daily diagnostics to Apple, and agree to install updates manually or automatically through an iOS device. The code describes an ability for users to sync multiple HomePods in one house to save all of these settings across speakers, and even an "update all HomePods" and "install on all HomePods" feature to cut down the time of the update process for multi-HomePod households.

In other, more expected findings, the code strings mention that any songs, albums, and artists played through HomePod will be seen by a user's followers on Apple Music and influence the recommendations in "For You." Additionally, the HomePod's touch-sensitive display area on the top of the device will allow for various volume and playback controls, including VoiceOver-enabled controls like "touch to speak," "lift to activate," and "hold on volume controls to change quickly."

Previously, the HomePod firmware revealed a few UI sounds that users will likely hear during the pairing process, as well as some potential timer-related notifications. A recent comment by Inventec Appliances president David Ho -- supplier of the HomePod -- has suggested that the device will see a limited launch in December of around 500,000 units, before expanding in 2018 thanks to the addition of Foxconn to the speaker's supply chain.

Update: Developer Guilherme Rambo has shared a video on Twitter that displays the setup process for the HomePod using an iPhone. There's an option to choose a Siri voice followed by an authentication process, an option to share settings from other devices, and a menu to select the room where the HomePod is located.

Update 9/5: Rambo has discovered another tidbit about the HomePod's setup, which suggests that the speaker will be able to pair with an iPhone through audio sounds.

Article Link: Details on HomePod's Setup Process Surface in Newest iOS 11 Developer Beta [Updated]

2. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

I guess this means I can't setup a HomePod using Alexa. Drat!

3. Hans_J macrumors newbie

Hans_J

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

According to the article:" The HomePod might see a limited launch of approximately 500,000 units available."

This is going to sell out within minutes. But it looks promising with its capabilities and being it can be controlled through various iOS devices. Perhaps using my Apple Watch to control the music through my HomePod, bliss.

5. AngerDanger, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I think the reason for this is incredibly obvious: HomePods will double as AirPods for those who prefer richer audio.

coolpods.gif

That's what we get for saying AirPods look goofy.

6. fokmik macrumors 68040

does it have animation like the airpods and beats headphone have?

7. lifeisepic macrumors 6502

lifeisepic

Fingers crossed it supports more than 1 iCloud account. No use if I setup it up with my Apple Music and my wife cannot use it for hers as well.

I won't hold my breath, because the ATV doesn't allow this without signing out of an account and into another which is a show stopper.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

9. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

If this has killer sound going to sell very well. Especially for those whom just want to stay in the Apple Eco system.

10. Mr Todhunter macrumors regular

Mr Todhunter

I have almost one terabyte of music in my itunes library (located on an external hd connected to one usb-3 port of my Macbook pro). I never intent to use apple music or any kind of streaming service. I also have never used Siri on any of my devices (of which I have a few) because, so far, Siri is totally useless in my country (not to mention the problems due to my horrible English pronunciation). Are you telling me I will not be able to use this thing? Will Apple ignore all users with similar needs? I just can't believe it.

11. NecroKill Suspended

NecroKill

Do we know why december? Speaker is not that difficult compared to other devices to make. Software not ready?

12. Avieshek, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Because, the Mac including the iMac Pro is still using Bluetooth 4.2

13. mceolsen macrumors member

mceolsen

So use Family Sharing? Then you can use either account?

14. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Of course it didn't come from the HomePod firmware! The HomePod firmware only contains leaks for unreleased iPhones! :)

15. 576316 macrumors 601

It will act as an AirPlay device as well, so she will be able to stream any media from any of her Apple devices so long as they're connected to the same network.

16. weezor macrumors newbie

How would you know the HomePod "lacks a W1 chip"?

What source is this from and why does it matter. The iPhone doesn't have it and it can connect to AirPods. We know already that the hardware from HomePod is closer to an iPhone than to a smart bluetooth speaker.

17. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Agree with you, I would expect the A8 is able to do in software what the W1 is hard-wired for.

18. EBone12355 macrumors member

EBone12355

Priced at $199 I would buy two of these. Priced as it is at $349 and I fear this will be another iPod HiFi failure.

19. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Yes but any $30 second or third hand hand Airport Express linked to your normal stereo can do that... not really worth spending so much on the Homepod...

20. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

What I want to know is how well will it handle the situation where I'm giving an instruction to my watch and the Home Pod hears it too. Will they communicate with each other so only one reacts? I'd be surprised if it's fast enough to do that.

21. 576316 macrumors 601

If those are your thoughts then you've missed the point of HomePod. I feel the scenario described won't be a common one, but I just provided a solution.

22. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

How does this have any effect on the devices used? Most iPhones HomePod is compatible with also use BT 4.2.

23. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I don't want to hear about the actual Homepod. You can do better than that, Homepod.

24. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

You'll be able to Airplay to the HomePod.

25. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

Yeah I was about to make a similar comment. As I understand it, the W1 is like a stripped down Ax chip that handles wireless connections and audio. This was done for size and power consumption reasons. There's no reason to put a W1 in the HomePod as the A8 can do everything an W1 can do and more, and the small size and power usage from the W1 would have little to no benefit on the HomePod which runs on AC power.