Details on Sandy-Bridge - 2011 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, May 17, 2010.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Last week Intel shared some details of Sandy-Bridge due out late this year... possibly providing the basis for 2011 Mac Pro (assuming there is one?!) :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Link

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Heaven forbid - maybe this is what the new MP will use when it is announced later this year :D

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

On a serious note - I have wondered if the new Xeons we are waiting for simply represent too small an improvement for Apple to introduce - especially if its lifespan is only going to be 6 or 7 months before Sandy Bridge.

Is Sandy Bridge a server class cpu?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Mac Pro's life span will be as long as Apple want ;).

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

To answer my own question - yes - a number of server class Sandy Bridges are on the way.

6. cutterman macrumors regular

I can't imagine how this first iteration of integrated graphics can be better than the high end graphics cards and GPU's available now. Maybe faster data pipeline, but given the massive processing and power consumption of current GPU's I don't know how Intel can match that performance and maintain CPU specs within current thermal and power guidelines.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I have that exact same question - the gist of the Intel info is that taking that processing from the gpu to a cpu is so much better. Perhaps there are some core advantages in how cpu circuits are done compared to gpu - but what :confused:

8. Deepshade macrumors regular

Sounds interesting if your are planning buying kit in a years time. Then again, who knows when/if Apple will use the technology or if/when it would let users know or even if the MacPro will still be around. Intel could announce a completely new technology and it wouldn't matter a jot to the the Mac community as the big (secretive) Apple tells its pro users didlysquat!

Correction - we did get some advance news - that the G5s are now obsolete (give or take a few days) - there Apple you can do it if you really want to!

and let's be honest - this ISN'T a Mac rumor - its general technology news.

9. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

No because Intel drops arch updates on the desktop CPUs first and then the Xeons later. Typically because the "extreme" desktop versions have elements which are switched off, so doesn't matter if don't work and are priced with "extreme" levels to encourage low volume.

Another example is the Nehalem-EX processors just dropped this year. While the westmere-ex is next year.

I suppose at one point Intel might do a single processor package Xeon with graphics built in so could have a "one package server" . However, many servers have two sockets at which point what do you do with two GPUs on a server ? Doesn't really make lots of sense. One, to drive the admin monitor makes sense. In fact almost overkill for a server.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The Sandy Bridge that is being mentioned is for notebooks and low-end and midrange desktops, for Q1 2011 release. High-end desktop, workstation, and server Sandy Bridge is scheduled for Q3 2011.

It's not intended to replace high-end or even midrange GPUs.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

+1

No SB Mac Pro before late 2011 unless Intel changes their plans. Could Apple just release the Gulftown Mac Pro now!

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Either that or Apple uses the upcoming entry level 1P workstation CPUs that are based off mainstream desktop Sandy Bridge (4 cores, IGP, …).

Most likely not, though, or we might have had a Mac Pro "update" with a Clarkdale in it. :p

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Haha, Clarkdale would be ridiculous! Is there even dual LGA 1156 boards available? The 1P "server" version won't be Xeon plus it'll use LGA 1155 so no dual CPU (or is there dual LGA 1156 available?) and thus very unlikely that Apple would use it.

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I think LGA 1156/1155's only single processor.

On a similar note, Sandy Bridge-EN will have variants from 2 to 8 cores (probably all using the same 8-core die). So if Apple decides to use the Sandy Bridge-EN in addition to or instead of the Sandy Bridge-EP, then hopefully we don't see 2/4 core Mac Pros.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dual or quad would be ridiculous! Well, quad would be okay if Apple lowered the price to 1999$ or something but dual is ridiculous. I think Apple will use SB-EN as the features EP gives are not much use for Mac Pro (e.g. 12 DIMMs/CPU) and EN should be cheaper anyway. Dual LGA 2011 mother board won't be exactly the cheapest one. Of course, we need more specs to give better speculations :D

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

That makes sense, especially when the current Mac Pro is already crippled on RAM slots (4/CPU instead of 6/CPU). Then again a drop in RAM slots isn't 100% a bad thing because SNB-EN supports 1333 MHz RAM with 6 slots/CPU and 1600 MHz with 3 slots/CPU, and SNB-EP supports 800 MHz RAM with 12 slots/CPU, 1333 MHz with 8 slots/CPU, and 1600 MHz with 4 slots/CPU.

But I can't resist speculating now! :D

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

EN isn't for high end workstations, EP won't just add cores and more DIMM support, that will be the only way to get the fastest clockspeeds.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Me neither :p I just want more specs so I can speculate more :D

Currently, Gainestown and Bloomfield both offer 3.33GHz... Gainestown just has lower TDPs so they are suitable for multi CPU computers like 8-core Mac Pro as Bloomfields are all 130W. Gainestown also has dual QPI.

Might be that Apple uses EN in single CPU model and EP in dual CPU model but EN will top out at 95W so no need for EP really, unless there is difference in clock speeds (might be as EP will top out at 150W!)

19. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Are you getting all your sandy bridge information from Wikipedia? Because a lot of that is incorrect and outdated.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Educate me then... I've found out that it sums up everything nicely and isn't outdated

22. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The article is written using a single google translated source. Wikipedia articles on future Intel processors feature misuse of codenames and brands as well as misunderstandings of features.

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In Sandy Bridge article, there are 18 references... Please, show some examples before judging. I know Wikipedia ain't the best source but I find it better than looking at 10 different roadmaps. When it comes to rumoring and speculating something, there are no "right and wrong", just good and not so good guesses. I'm not saying I'm right but your post just didn't convince me

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I remembered seeing this a while back, written shortly after the PC Watch articles. It says high-end desktop Sandy Bridge will be 4/6 core and socket 2011.

PC Watch's articles don't seem to talk much about high-end desktop, but they speculate it's based on Sandy Bridge-EP (or -EN). -EP matches the socket, PCIe, and memory channels of what the VR Zone article says (not core counts though, but that 8-core die appears to be slated for 2, 4, 6, and 8 core CPUs so who knows).

Didn't convince me either.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

After reading some comments on that SB article in Wikipedia, it might be that there will be no LGA 1356 (no proof of it), just 2011 (high-end) and 1155 (low-end). If that's the case, it's more than likely that there will be six-core high-end desktop CPU (non-Xeon).

Anyway, SB is still almost a year away so anything can happen and pretty much all we "know" is based on speculation and guesses, only some are facts (especially variants are based on guesses I think)