Detecting External Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sum 2 Three, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Sum 2 Three macrumors newbie

So, I just received my brand new macbook (about 2 hours ago), and so far things have been... almost flawless. Perhaps I'll post more later, but I should say that the computer has no slanted function keys, nicks, scratches, dings, or a loose battery cover (these are all the problems I can remember hearing about often through these forums, atm).

I have encountered one problem, however... connecting to an external monitor. I've been using the monitor with my old macbook as recently as this morning. I ordered a mini-display to dvi adapter with my computer.

Plugging it in does nothing (monitor is on, everything is hooked up correctly). Hitting 'detect display', restarting... these things do nothing. The display isn't getting any signal.

Any thoughts? Am I being foolish, and missing something obvious?

Peace

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Did you buy a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter? It's not Mini-DVI anymore as Apple changed it.

3. Sum 2 Three thread starter macrumors newbie

I did.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Is your monitor a DVI monitor? There are VGA monitors that can connect to either VGA or DVI connectors; this doesn't work if you have a DVI adapter attached to your Macintosh. If your old MacBook used a MacBook-to-VGA adapter, then that is most likely the reason.

5. Sum 2 Three thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... I guess my post was a tad confusing, apologies.

Old: Plastic Macbook, mini-dvi to dvi adapter, monitor, work
    New: Aluminum Macbook, mini-display to dvi adaptor, monitor, no work

Thoughts?

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Defective adapter? Is there an AppleStore around you that you can test that adapter with? Worse case scenario, the Mini-DisplayPort in your MacBook is defective.

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

OSX 10.5.5 which is what you are using on the Aluminium MacBook has problems with external monitors - it does not always detect them....

I suspect that is the problem - some of the white MacBooks work ok with external monitors and 10.5.5 - some don't (mine does not detect them - so have stayed on 10.5.4....)

8. Sum 2 Three thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow-up:

So, I take my macbook into the apple store to find out where the fault was. It was, in fact, a problem between os x and certain makes/models of monitors via dvi.

It works fine through vga, though I might have hoped for more.

Peace