Determine Color on Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by terryturner, Nov 10, 2007.

1. terryturner macrumors newbie

Is there a Mac app that will let me use an eye dropper to to select and determine what the color is (in hex I guess) for a particular part of the screen?

THANKS!

Terry

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If the application uses Apple's color picker, you can use its magnifier to pick up colors off the screen. It can be configured for HSB, RGB, CMYK, etc.

I think I have a separate app for that, but can't remember what. I'll post back.
    edit: Art Director's Toolkit used to be bundled with new machines. I have an older version, and its "eyedropper" no longer works.

edit 2: iPalette - uses Apple Color Picker, so it gives you access to the above magnifier. I just tried it and it seems to work fine and is simple.

3. terryturner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the Tip

I downloaded iPallete but I can't figure out how to grab my color value. The picker shows the color in the grid but does not show the RGB values. The color I'm trying to find out about is on a web page.

Terrry

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Digital Color Meter in the Utilities folder does this for me.

5. terryturner thread starter macrumors newbie

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Click on one of the large color sample squares to bring up the Apple Color Picker. Then, use the small magnifying glass to the left of the large, rectangular sample box near the top of the picker.

iPalatte's RGB tool will show RGB values. Apple Color Picker also has the values available as RGB, CMYK or HSB.

I knew I remembered an Apple app somewhere. Much simpler, unless you want access to Color Picker.

Thanks for jarring my memory (the 2nd thing to go.... ;) )