OS X Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on Metal!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by imacken, Sep 21, 2016.

1. wubsylol macrumors regular

2. Ferazel macrumors regular

I thought it was due to the failures of GPUs in the nvidia MBP. This caused a pretty big mainboard replacement program that was embarasssing to Apple. Rumor was that NVidia wouldn't pay for the replacement and Apple footed the bill. Apple probably was vexed and vowed to not use their GPUs again.

3. jeanlain, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

jeanlain macrumors 65816

What failures, specifically? If you're referring to the 8600M, these mostly occurred in 2009 IIRC.
    At any rate, nVidia and Apple aren't in a good relationship, at all. To the point that nVidia CEO used MacBook Pros to compare to the power of the latest GPU (which was meaningless). There's probably a good reason why nVidia proposes separate drivers. Apple may not want them in macOS. IMO, Apple have sided with AMD because it sees nVidia as a competitor (specifically in respect to its mobile GPUs). Granted, competition with Samsung did prevent Apple from using Samsung parts, but they probably didn't have a choice (and they are moving to TSMC).

--- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    If even Apple itself doesn't use Metal in its pro apps, it's not a good sign. Metal may be a good replacement for OpenGL in games, but I've read from developers that it's not a good replacement for OpenCL. It cannot use the CPU and, most importantly, it is harder to use for no clear performance gains. There wasn't an issue with driver overhead in GPGPU.
    Vulkan never pretended to replace OpenCL (any more than OpenGL 4.3 with its compute shaders did), but apparently Apple wants Metal to be used everywhere.
    I admit that Vuklan may not be that useful for pro apps after all, although I still believe it would have been more future proof to support Vulkan than porting some IOS framework to the Mac.
    OpenCL support is more important to pros. What Apple did with OpenCL is inexcusable.

4. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

It would be a very dumb move if the new (and so-called modular) mac pro excluded one of the two gpu manufacturers, especially since now nvidia does not only offer the fastest gpus but also the most efficient ones. Laptops (and this includes imac, of course) is another story, but locking a workstation with a specific gpu vendor can never be a good idea, especially since apple - better late than never - admitted their mistakes with the current machine and apologized for it on every aspect.

Besides, what was the great benefit from AMD ? As the time passed, current mac pro proved to have gpu burn-out problems and drivers-wise crossfire never happened on macOS which is a failure on its own (considering that mac pro's crossfire works on windows side).

On the APIs side, however, I don't think there will be any changes on the foreseeable future . Apple has taken their decisions, and they will go Metal all the way, for better or worst.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

6. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

*bumping this from page 3*

Can you comment at all on what’s holding this up? Metal 2 is now out :p

7. EllieFeral macrumors member

EllieFeral

Soz, not yet. I hope this was worth the bump. >.>

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I'll take it, even if it was a disappointment bump.

9. matrahaim macrumors newbie

matrahaim

And is there anything to report now? I mean you guys said it would release by the end of the year. and that was last year.

10. ikir macrumors 65816

Nvidia sleeper too much time. AMD drivers are faster on macOS, eGPU support, Metal and OpenCL shine. Nvidia are super slow on mac side. Vega 56 and 64 can beat even1080 in OpenCL and some games. Radeon has returned to its glory.

11. jeanlain macrumors 65816

There is a lot of activity on steamDB, and the Mac version of the game is a "qa_branch", so I guess they're testing for bugs on various configs.

12. beepp macrumors newbie

It seems clearly you have not seen this page:
    http://barefeats.com/index.html

Please make a proper research before posting anything.

13. jeanlain, Nov 24, 2017 at 4:55 AM
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017 at 8:50 AM

jeanlain macrumors 65816

Take it easy. The link you posted shows Vega 64 beating the GTX 1080 easily in OpenCL. I would not look at the geebench tests as they are meaningless when it comes to the GPU.
    I'd be more curious to see how these GPUs compare on recent games, where driver optimisations make a bigger difference.