Developer Account - Company vs Enterprise

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by AndyR, Aug 29, 2012.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Hey all,

My company who developer Java Apps have now been tasked with developing an iOS App. They have asked me to get them a Apple Developer Account which is fine but its all new to me and when I went to look at it I noticed there was a Company Account and an Enterprise Account.

The only difference I could see was the Company account publishes to the App Store, while the Enterprise lets you developer internal apps. Now the App they want to do will initially be internal, but may also have the need for the App store to distribute to customers. Can the Enterprise account do both internal & app store and/or can the general company account allow local device testing/publishing?

Thanks,

Andy

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm not real sure on that one but you can email devprograms@apple.com and get a pretty quick answer.

3. alexjeeny1 macrumors newbie

4. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

We went with company in the end. We are well under the device limit anyway so it all came down to B2B apps which we dont need at the mo so company is what we chose.

5. firewood macrumors 604

Big companies usually get one of each, a company enrollment so they can put some branded customer apps in the App Store, and an enterprise enrollment so they don't need to count and keep track of employee device UDIDs for internal apps.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

And big companies often have more than one company account, because paying $99 is cheaper than figuring out who else in the company has an account, and you don't want to rely on them to pay again in a years time.

7. firewood macrumors 604

For big companies that are really multiple companies (subsidiaries, a pile of interconnected Caribbean tax shell corporations, etc.), I can see this happening. But for a single legal corporate entity, enrollment requires access to the incorporation papers and D&B number, and multiple enrollments for a single D&B number appears to be against the enrollment agreement.

But I have seen companies where various executives or managers just get individual developer accounts under their own name for internal corporate use, and expense the cost. That appears to be discouraged under the latest iOS developer agreement. I was surprised when I read that clause, as it could potentially affect some pretty large corporate entities.

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Ha, you've obviously never worked for a normal large corp. Trying to figure out who has a license when you have 200 departments and working out the costs (especially $300 which is way under most folks signing authority) is a nightmare. People can't agree where to go to lunch, let alone who manages the corporate account. It's much easier to have employees expense stuff.

It's a pain in the ass, but I can see what they would like to get out of it. 45 different people calling support supposedly from the same company. It's nice to have a single or few contacts, but in most cases, it really doesn't work that well. It's interesting to see how this plays out,

I'm still trying to get our dumbass support organization to allow anything other than Windows mobile, because they refuse to even acknowlege that any thing else exists around them... "F***in Microsoft" has actually become a battle cry at our organization! LOL

Most of the other departments doing mobile have bypassed our support department completely and have taken the responsibility on themselves. Not an ideal situation in the long run, but when you have to make progress...

You know what they say... Lead, Follow or get out of the way!

9. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

And sometimes its better to beg for forgiveness than to wait and ask for permission :)