Developer account expired

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Hey,

My dev account expired, and I do not plan to renew. Do you know if I can still continue updating the beta versions of iOS8 ? My devices were registered but am wondering if they get unregistered once the account expires.

Thanks!

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Hey,

My dev account expired, and I do not plan to renew. Do you know if I can still continue updating the beta versions of iOS8 ? My devices were registered but am wondering if they get unregistered once the account expires.

Thanks!
Thats a tricky one. I would guess you are stuck, but then again would apple leave someone stuck like that since you should not be able to downgrade. OTA updates may trick the system, just hope you dont hit the expire date.

Let us know how this goes please.

Alook48

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
You can downgrade back to IOS 7.1.1 easily. Or if you want you can pay 5-7 dollars and get your UDID activated again.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Thats a tricky one. I would guess you are stuck, but then again would apple leave someone stuck like that since you should not be able to downgrade. OTA updates may trick the system, just hope you dont hit the expire date.

Let us know how this goes please.
You can always DFU restore to the live 'stable' build.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
True, just basing my earlier comment on the fact that Apple states you can not downgrade ;)
Where do they state that?

bug riddled not for production iOS8 is not by definition a downgrade back to stable iOS7.

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
You absolutely can downgrade, with the following provisios:

1) Apple is still signing the older release (this will be the case until mid-September)
2) You won't be able to restore any backups taken on iOS 8.

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Not true. I just downgraded and of course, all my apps are still there.
He was referring to the developer and if you let your account expire, any developer apps that you had published on the store will be taken down. Not the apps on the phone that he downloaded ;)

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
He was referring to the developer and if you let your account expire, any developer apps that you had published on the store will be taken down. Not the apps on the phone that he downloaded ;)
OP might be a "developer" like myself. Never listed any apps on the store as I'm not good enough, but do like to play around with apps on my actual phone instead of the simulator :p

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
OP might be a "developer" like myself. Never listed any apps on the store as I'm not good enough, but do like to play around with apps on my actual phone instead of the simulator :p
That is very true, I did not think of that aspect...

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
I would like to know this as well. My dev accounts are expiring in 15 days and was wondering what would happen if I didn't renew.

Reactions: TyreneJones491

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
True, just basing my earlier comment on the fact that Apple states you can not downgrade ;)
Once it goes public you can't. But during the DP period you totally can to go back to ios7. You just lose access to data that is in iOS 8 backups and you can't downgrade to a lower version of iOS 8, well not without some workarounds

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Where do they state that?

bug riddled not for production iOS8 is not by definition a downgrade back to stable iOS7.

In the read me file for the beta OS it says:

Devices updated to iOS 8 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS. Only registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS software.
Again, remember that the beta OS isn't designed to be used on your main device. It should be used on a development device for testing the apps you're developing. This isn't to say that people don't use it on their main device and clearly it is possible to go back to IOS 7.1.1, but apple doesn't support it.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Mine expired the day after I downloaded ios 8 and I got the beta 2 OTA.
Beta 1 required activation via Apple's servers after every reboot.
Beta 2 doesn't.
If Activation gets implemented again in one of the future betas you might find yourself locked out or forced to downgrade.

C. Robert

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Beta 1 required activation via Apple's servers after every reboot.
Beta 2 doesn't.
If Activation gets implemented again in one of the future betas you might find yourself locked out or forced to downgrade.
I emailed apple and they said I was fine. I just can't register any new devices or download from their developer site. I will get all updates.

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I emailed apple and they said I was fine. I just can't register any new devices or download from their developer site. I will get all updates.
Interesting. Mine expires somewhere between the 4th and 5th beta i think because last year they patched up the loop whole after the 3 beta i remember, that's when i had to register for a dev account. But if you say i will continues getting updates than that's cool. Unless I misunderstood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.