Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buryfan

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Definitely Facebook, in the past I have minimised the app, come back to my idle phone in one hour and the percentage had dropped at least 5-10% in idle

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
What about Viber? Is that just as bad?

I thought push notifications would've helped with this.

i dont know, it might be in the same boat. the link in the OP states "Apple's rules allow audio apps and voice over IP apps to run in the background and Facebook's apps are using these exemptions allowing them to run in the background and drain your battery" so i assume Viber falls into that category as well.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
What about Viber? Is that just as bad?

I thought push notifications would've helped with this.

i dont know, it might be in the same boat. the link in the OP states "Apple's rules allow audio apps and voice over IP apps to run in the background and Facebook's apps are using these exemptions allowing them to run in the background and drain your battery" so i assume Viber falls into that category as well.

As far as I know, the Skype app needs to be opened so you can log in in order for you to be reached there. Viber on the other hand doesn't. So if you're scared that Viber will be battery consuming, just kill it after each use. You can still be reached.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Alright after multiple days testing this my battery life is through the roof. I am averaging 1 1/2 to 2hrs+ per 20% of battery life.

My usage is 80% we browsing , 10% twitter, Facebook, 10% texting/mail calls.

Before I would be lucky to eek out 4hrs usage

iBanshee

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
it was all a few phone calls, maybe 20 minutes, imessaging and texting, playing 5 games of words with friends and some web browsing.

this was with 2 bars of service, but on wifi, brightness set very low as i always have it but it is set on auto.

but did you turn on data service? So this 4+ hrs of usage was actually screen on time?:D Because as of me i can only get 5-6 hrs of screen on.

And by the way did the percentage on your phone drop constantly, i mean for every % dropped you get 5-6 mins of usage, because mine seems to have the first 20% from 100% it dropped slower than the rest, especially below 50% the battery drops even faster, i can only get 3 mins for every % dropped. It means for the first half 50% of battery I get 4-5 hrs of usage but for the remaining 50% I can only get 2-3 hrs. Can you check on that:D

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
but did you turn on data service? So this 4+ hrs of usage was actually screen on time?:D Because as of me i can only get 5-6 hrs of screen on.

And by the way did the percentage on your phone drop constantly, i mean for every % dropped you get 5-6 mins of usage, because mine seems to have the first 20% from 100% it dropped slower than the rest, especially below 50% the battery drops even faster, i can only get 3 mins for every % dropped. It means for the first half 50% of battery I get 4-5 hrs of usage but for the remaining 50% I can only get 2-3 hrs. Can you check on that:D

yea the usage was all screen time sending imessages and playing words with friends. i was at a point where my battery would drop 1% every 2-3 mins, now it doesnt anymore.

iBanshee

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
yea the usage was all screen time sending imessages and playing words with friends. i was at a point where my battery would drop 1% every 2-3 mins, now it doesnt anymore.

oh ok, so did you have LTE or 3G data service enable or only wifi?:D Sorry if im asking too many much:"P. Whats your usage at the end then?:D

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
oh ok, so did you have LTE or 3G data service enable or only wifi?:D Sorry if im asking too many much:"P. Whats your usage at the end then?:D

i was mostly on a weak wifi connection at work, and strong LTE when i went outside during my 12 hour shift.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
So before leaving work I charged my phone to 100% and totally shut down the Facebook app, before leaving I sent a few texts and did some light browsing and here I am it just dropped to 99%. By now I would usually be around 85-90% charged if Facebook was open.

10x7eaf.png

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Wow, so glad I found this. My battery life dropped off a cliff in the last week and I was about to make a Genius Bar appt soon if it didn't improve.

It's like Facebook wants me to deactivate completely...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
So before leaving work I charged my phone to 100% and totally shut down the Facebook app, before leaving I sent a few texts and did some light browsing and here I am it just dropped to 99%. By now I would usually be around 85-90% charged if Facebook was open.

I wouldn't take this number as any kind of indication of anything what so ever, unless you believe it's fair to assume you're able to hit 50 hours of usage...

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't take this number as any kind of indication of anything what so ever, unless you believe it's fair to assume you're able to hit 50 hours of usage...

Obviously I don't expect that, but my battery life is greatly improved since I have been closing out Facebook when I am not using it. Their is some truth to this finding, and I am seeing it first hand. I am leaving work now and I am at 80%, with about 1 hour 30 minutes of usage and 7 hours 4 minutes on standby, I've had a few short phone calls and around 50 texts with some decent web browsing, and at work when I go into the basement which is quite often there is a significant drop in signal strength so I am usually at 1-2 bars if I am lucky, so all in all a decent upgrade in battery life considering if I don't bring my charger to work I would be at ~50% percent right now with similar usage.

iBanshee

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
somehow i get even better battery life by deleting completely facebook app, the reason for this maybe even if i close the app after each you, i would still get notification for new updates and it would trigger the app in the background without me knowing and its not even in the multitasking bar. So I guess deleting the facebook app might do the magic then^^

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
somehow i get even better battery life by deleting completely facebook app, the reason for this maybe even if i close the app after each you, i would still get notification for new updates and it would trigger the app in the background without me knowing and its not even in the multitasking bar. So I guess deleting the facebook app might do the magic then^^

Nah, if that were the case the app would re-open. When you get a push notification, it isn't the app that gets it or sends it, it's Apple that sends it to your phone's notification centre. The app isn't any the wiser you just got a push notification, though this is due to change in iOS 7 and apps will get prepared for launch when you get a push notification.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Here is a fine example of what the Facebook app can do, mind you my phone was off the charger for about 3 hours and was 100% fully charged, I didn't use it for anything it just sat there it was connected to WiFi and obviously I had 4 bars of service and no other apps running besides Phone and Messages.

z74tu.png

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I'd be surprised if worst case battery life scenario on a smartphone = running official Facebook app, as opposed to heavy gaming.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
i never turn LTE off since my whole area is blanketed in it.

Does turning LTE off not save battery life though? Was talking to a genius other day who said just use 3G ( as dont get LTE my area ) off when not required and just use wifi only when possible. As this helps the battery I got told.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Does turning LTE off not save battery life though? Was talking to a genius other day who said just use 3G ( as dont get LTE my area ) off when not required and just use wifi only when possible. As this helps the battery I got told.
My phone lasts longer between charges if I keep 3G/LTE off unless when needed.

JVICINI

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Facebook App in iPhone 5 drains your battery

As I have seen in this forum, the title doesn`t seem to be recent news. Since I installed Facebook app in my iPhone 5 (about 2 weeks ago) battery started to drain horribly. The causal relationship was obvious. The suggestion written about using the mobile facebook site seems more sensible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.