Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today informed developers that they're now able to submit privacy information for their apps using App Store Connect. The privacy details shared by developers will be displayed directly on App Store pages.

appstoreprivacy.jpg

During WWDC, Apple announced a new App Store feature that will see apps listing specific privacy information, which Apple has likened to a nutritional label for apps. Developers are required to self-report this information.

Apple is asking developers to let consumers know about their app's privacy details, including what data types the app collects and whether that data is linked to them or used to track them.
Later this year, the App Store will help users understand an app's privacy practices before they download the app on any Apple platform. On each app's product page, users can learn about some of the data types the app may collect, and whether that data is linked to them or used to track them. You can now enter your app's privacy information in App Store Connect. This information will be required to submit new apps and app updates to the App Store starting December 8, 2020.
Apple plans to roll out the privacy feature for the App Store later in 2020, and starting on December 8, developers will be required to enter privacy information to submit new apps and app updates to the App Store.

Article Link: Developers Able to Submit Privacy Info for 'Nutritional Label for Apps' Coming Later This Year

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Well, at least the devs will be on the record, so if they get caught later on doing nefarious things with user data it will be more difficult for them to spin up a cover story.
It’s always been on the record because a privacy policy is required, but not it would be more visible and easier to understand.

Comment

nattK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
Does anyone else think calling this a nutrition label is dumb?

Well, they're not calling it a "nutrition label" per se, but rather, using it as an example to illustrate the purpose of the label. That privacy feature is supposed to list the app's privacy policy so you can check them out before deciding on whether to download the app. Similar to how you'd check a food product's nutritional label before buying to know what's inside.

Reactions: KeithBN
Comment

iamgalt

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
It's stuff like this that keeps me on iOS. I seriously doubt you're going to see something like this on the Google Play store. What could they put on theirs? "Google is actively trying to gather as much information about you as possible so they can sell it to whoever wants to pay for it." Oh, wait. Doesn't it say that in Google's EUA?

Comment

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Well, they're not calling it a "nutrition label" per se, but rather, using it as an example to illustrate the purpose of the label. That privacy feature is supposed to list the app's privacy policy so you can check them out before deciding on whether to download the app. Similar to how you'd check a food product's nutritional label before buying to know what's inside.
Wait... people check what’s on the nutrition label before buying food? 😬

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
The nutritional labels on food are just as worthless as these labeles will be.
Devs will declare whatever sounds PC then go back to their sneaky ways once again.
The whole iOS App Store/ mobile phone business model is dependent upon unscrupulous ass tracking.
There's no way it's going to disappear.

Comment

LeadingHeat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2015
I’m so excited for this. I’m sure 80% of people will still never look at it, but it definitely holds developers more accountable. And for the rest of the 20% of people who like to know exactly what’s going onto their phones this will be great.

Looking forward to seeing the laundry list of data tracking “features” Facebook will have to list 😂

Comment

JMStearnsX2

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
Will this be mandatory or optional for developers? If it's not mandatory I wonder how many will opt into it.

Comment

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
That's great, until it changes after we paid for it. Maybe we can change developer payout such that we can opt for a full refund if the apps privacy policy ever changes.

Comment

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
So this GM or RC2? I’m so confused fused with all these updates lol

Comment

Ebarella

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Man, as a developer I am completely lost

I use Crashlytics to help me deal with bugs (Apple sends the same info too, but in a more annoying way). I was about to disclose it in the Nutritional Labels, even though the info is anonymized

I don't know if I'm allowed to post Apples guidelines for optional disclosure, but they seem too broad. With not so clever interpretation a lot cases are going to be exempted

Honestly, everyone uses the same SDKs (Firebase, FAN, RevenueCat, Admob, Mopub, etc). Apple should just made you disclose their use instead of dealing with this vagueness, the big players have good lawyers and everything they do will be considered exempted, so this only punishes people that are going to be honest about the realities of iOS Programming

Comment

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Man, as a developer I am completely lost

I use Crashlytics to help me deal with bugs (Apple sends the same info too, but in a more annoying way). I was about to disclose it in the Nutritional Labels, even though the info is anonymized

I don't know if I'm allowed to post Apples guidelines for optional disclosure, but they seem too broad. With not so clever interpretation a lot cases are going to be exempted

Honestly, everyone uses the same SDKs (Firebase, FAN, RevenueCat, Admob, Mopub, etc). Apple should just made you disclose their use instead of dealing with this vagueness, the big players have good lawyers and everything they do will be considered exempted, so this only punishes people that are going to be honest about the realities of iOS Programming
I just spent the last month at my company updating our privacy policy for gdpr, ccpa, coppa, etc. It was quite stressful but I learned a lot. I don’t think big companies will mislead users because there are very few exemptions and the regulations are pretty clear. It’s not nefarious so I wouldn’t feel bad about honestly disclosing the data if I was you. I would engage a lawyer tho because they can be very knowledgeable.

Comment

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
I just spent the last month at my company updating our privacy policy for gdpr, ccpa, coppa, etc. It was quite stressful but I learned a lot. I don’t think big companies will mislead users because there are very few exemptions and the regulations are pretty clear. It’s not nefarious so I wouldn’t feel bad about honestly disclosing the data if I was you. I would engage a lawyer tho because they can be very knowledgeable.
Also, crashlytics is not anonymized. There is a uuid for each user, at least there is are on our end.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.