Developing an App - What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by inflynx, Oct 8, 2008.

1. inflynx macrumors member

Hi all!

I am developing an iPhone App as part of my university project. However, I have a hard time coming up with an interesting App idea.

So, I would like to ask you what App would you like to see? Is there anything you really wish was there, but it is not? Is there anything that you would be using every day or so?

I have a few month for development, so there is little concern for complexity.

I would greatly appreciate your ideas and will most likely make an app free on iTunes Store (since the code would be open).

Thanks!

2. Dudeman486 macrumors member

i don't know if this is possible due to the current SDK limitations or actual functionality of the iphone/touch, but howabout a print app?

since mac os x prints over bonjour using cups, i'm sure you could port some of the cups code over to the iphone platform and have it print documents and whatnot.

perhaps even include a document uploader/viewer if you have enough time.

just a thought ;)

3. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'd like to see a few things.

Firsty, a full writing app to allow me to continue my novels on the go.

I'd also like more doom type games (with some kind of auto aim) or quake but I appreciate that will be very hard.

Maybe some kind of point and click (or in this case point an tap) game in the spirit of broken sword or similar. The key would be a good story. Again I appreciate this will be hard.

Otherwise have a quick search of the forum as I think there have been a few threads like this you may get some good ideas from there too.

4. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

That's a great idea, I'd use that,

also my request would be like a tv streaming app

Zym

5. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

6. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

How about a lyrics app, just something that pulls lyrics from one of the few million free lyric websites out there, i dont want to have to shuffle through my ipod for the song (if i even have it at all, what if i just heard a song on the radio?) and see if i have the lyrics for it, also for those times during a bar bet when you debate the chorus of a local favorite.

I second this, with the list of ingredients that are needed and the ability to tap them and "check them off" for if you have them or not, also a check list for where you are at in the recipe so you can keep track if you already added those eggs or not
    maybe a "To Get List" for things you have to run to the store to get before you start cookin'

while you're at it, please port Chrono Trigger to the iPhone, my SNES is on the fritz :(

7. bturgan macrumors member

bturgan

Great !!!

Well, an automatic color combination app will work so fine for me and i guess for most of people who designs.

also a video recorder app. can be handy !

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Customizable database app, like jfile for Palm. I used to have small databases on my Treo for restaurants and other things. I had fields for name, address, city, food rating, and comments. When I traveled, I could enter info on the go. Next time I came to that city, I'd have the info I needed and could sort by location or rating.

I'm surprised there aren't a few of these out there for iphone already where you can create a database project, select a few fields, select the form input for each field (menu, text entry, etc). It would be nice to be able to import and export from csv as well.

I see apps like this as a way to empower users to basically create their own custom apps.

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I would like to see an application that suggests ideas for applications that developers could develop instead of asking here all the time...

10. detz macrumors 65816

Like FMTouch?

11. jstanier macrumors regular

jstanier

If you're doing it for a university project, how about doing something that other students would find really useful? For example, an interface to the campus facilities, timetables, deadlines, map of the area, and so on?

12. firewood macrumors 604

University project? Think of something that would be useful to that university or take advantage of something in the university's infrastructure. Maybe something to scrape and present the university course catalog and/or schedule in a form suitable for a small touch display. Or a Google maps overlay with classroom names/numbers.

13. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

The google maps reminded me, for all the ipod touch users, me, you could make a downloaded maps app, so that you dont need wifi, 3g, or edge to go on maps

Zym

14. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I want to be able to select a photo from my photos, view/edit the header data and if geotagged plot it on a map.

15. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

an app that records audio, then mails an mp3 file to any email...

seems VERY tough at this point, lol

a few out there that mail a different format, but I can't depend on people to have quicktime or this or that. But I think most people these days have the ability to play a mp3 file.

16. vandy1997 macrumors regular

One app that I would like to see is an app that plays a different ringtone when a call comes in from a blocked number or an unknown caller number. There is no way to do this with this phone!

17. firewood macrumors 604

ignore. can't be done using the supported API's.

18. firewood macrumors 604

ignore. can't be done using the supported API's.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The two that come to mind, that I haven't seen already:

- Print app.

- Display app.

20. Espo macrumors 6502

A word processing app. Or possibly an app to edit word documents.

21. inflynx thread starter macrumors member

It looks like the full featured Word processing with printing capabilities is very desired :) I will certainly look into it.

Database app is also a good idea.

I dont think uni would like to see Recipe app though :)

Thanks a lot, guys, I really appreciate your suggestions.

22. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I came up with an idea for an app that I think everyone would be interested in. It's called "Categories". Basically, what it would do, is organize all your apps into categories, and replace your home page icons. Wouldn't it be cool if you had one icon for games on your home page, and you click on it, and it opens up a sub-page with all of your games. Same thing with all other categories of apps. I don't know how to do it, but for all of you app developers out there, if you can figure it out, I know you'd get my money.

23. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

You have to jailbreak to do that and there is already an application that does it. It isn't possible to do within Apple's SDK.

24. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

A personlized daily calorie counter. Im not sure how it would work or save personal info througout the day. But if it's possible, that would be awesome.