Device Only Sale Denied

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MJedi, Nov 12, 2013.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Hello,

Has anyone tried to buy an iPhone 5s "device only" recently from the retail Apple Store? I just came from one, and the associate asked if I was upgrading or getting it device only. I wanted device only, and she said they do device only sales in the morning. The stock they have are for those signing a contract. They have a separate allocation for device only sales.

I think that's ridiculous. A sale is a sale right? No matter if I get a contract or not. And isn't it better for Apple to get the full amount of the sale, rather than getting it from the carriers? Sounds like the carriers are pressuring Apple to sell contracts more.

2. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Device Only Sale Denied

Apple is bleeding the carriers so badly that it's actually beneficial for them to sale under contract instead of device only. $700 - $800 upfront is nothing compared to what the carriers have to pay for subsidizing.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks.
    Hope soon the official unlocked version will be out and you can then buy them with no issues.
    They making it sound like you're doing something wrong for giving them your money in order to purchase an iphone out of contract.

4. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I know! Or that I'm stupid for not signing a 2-year contract like "normal" people. :mad:

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes, my device only sale was denied as well today. I tried to buy a 32GB Verizon 5S for my mom, sale denied bc I wasn't using an upgrade or signing a contract.

Was told to come back in the morning 2 hours before they opened to get a ticket. I laughed and walked away. Oh well.

This is the same store that let me do the device only sale 3 days ago by the way. Talked to the exact same manager 3 days ago who let me, she said strict orders from corporate to sell device only in morning.

6. bravo.ftwftw macrumors member

bravo.ftwftw

That's totally redick for a phone that launched about 2 months!

I purchased a device only Silver Verizon Silver on Friday during the day (Friday at 4:30PM) at a Northern Virginia store in the DC/MD/NoVA. However this seems to be an exception -- there are only a couple of stores that allow walk-in's during the day.

I told me friend about it. We called up the same store in the DMV area -- they had a "boatload" of phones in all models (same thing as Friday).

We back to the same store on Saturday afternoon to purchase a device only. My friend originally wanted a Verizon Silver 16gb (Gold was available) which he was able to purchase.

Then he decided he wanted a 32gb Verizon Silver 16gb. 15 minutes later, he exchanged his 16 gb for a 32gb.

I will call the store on Wednesday morning to confirm if they changed their policy.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I just watched a guy buy a 16GB Verizon iPhone 5s "device only" at my local Apple store. I bought mine unlocked 64GB GSM iPhone 5s the same way a few weeks ago.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I bought my "Device Only" 64GB 5S AT&T version from Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga.... Sale went through at 8PM local time. They did not tell me me what OP reported. My brother bough his 5S as well device only in the afternoon (round 4PM).

So I'm guessing this is a store by store basis?

9. Ann P, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Ann P macrumors 68020

Device Only Sale Denied

Yes, and I think it depends on who you talk to. I was also at Victoria Gardens this weekend. Upon first visit, an employee told me that I was able to make a single device only purchase. Came back a couple hours later with a friend and we walked out with two.

10. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

It is silly and I would be beyond annoyed if told this almost two months after the launch of the phone.

Many carrier stores (O2, Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4 U) are also refusing to sell device only, presumably on Apple's insistence.

The benefit of device only is that they're not taking a risk that they might have to chase someone through the courts for the money, but then I'm guessing it is the carriers and not Apple who are taking that risk so it is win win for Apple.

11. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

I think it's more than ridiculous. It's borderline unethical. From the consumer's persecutive, the act of purchasing an iPhone from Apple is no different than purchasing an iPad, iPod, or Mac. Apple's role is to sell you the product without interference from a 3rd party (i.e. the wireless carrier). The idea of picking and choosing customers based on if you're also signing up/upgrading with a carrier is in fact discriminatory.

I'd love to hear Apple's justification on why they'll easily sell someone an LTE iPad Air as a walk-in but will only do the same for iPhones with certain conditions. Both devices can be purchased on contract with a wireless carrier. What's the difference?

12. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I walked into my Apple Store yesterday and bought an unlocked 32GB Gold 5S for $799 after tax. No appointment, no questions asked, didn't go in the morning, infact I went in 15 minutes before they closed.

13. LV426 macrumors 6502a

While demand is still higher than supply, these kind of shops will do all they can to sell devices with contracts. It's in their interest, as contracts are where they make most money.