device prediction of what's going to run ios 9

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jordan246, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Jordan246 macrumors regular

Jordan246

I think Its about time to predict of what devices are going to run ios 9 we know that the iPhone 4s is out of the picture but apple still sells the original iPad mini and the iPod touch 5th gen so here are my predictions

Iphone 5, 5c, 5s 6, 6 plus, and 6s

Ipad 3, 4 iPad mini 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

And the iPod touch 5th gen

So what are your guys predictions

2. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

3. Jordan246 thread starter macrumors regular

Jordan246

Do you think the iPad 2 will be. Compatible with iOS 9

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

forgot to add iPad Air 1&2 :)

5. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad 2 and 3 won't be compatible with iOS9, just a guess though.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

If the iPod Touch 5 and iPad mini 1 are in, then the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S are also in. There would be no reason at all to exclude the iPhone 4S, which has the same CPU and RAM as the iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, and iPad mini 1, and the lowest resolution screen of any A5-CPU device.

The only other 'limiting factor' I can think of Apple using to differentiate would be a Lightning port - which would be a completely arbitrary division point, but which I could see Apple using. (Apple has used 'no actual technical reason, just the inclusion of a certain port' as a barrier to entry before - OS X 10.3 required a factory-shipped USB port for no valid reason, it worked just fine the USB-less beige Power Mac G3; OS X 10.4 likewise required a factory-shipped FireWire port, again for no valid reason, it worked fine on FireWire-less models.)

7. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4 and later, iPad mini 2 and later and 6th generation iPod touch

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

What I like is I got my 5c November 2013, I had iOS 7. Fast forward a year and onto ios8. My contract is due November 2015 so can in theory upgrade, by then ios9 will be around! I'm going to use ios9 as a delaying tactic keeping me interested in my iPhone until iOS 10 release! By then who knows! I aim to get the 6 or 6 plus by that time a little cheaper and stick to s similar upgrade plan.

I want to stay silty iOS but who knows I do love my iPhone though!

9. Jzo macrumors regular

I think iPad 2 and 3 are done for. (I still see a ton of 2's though.)

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The 2 is basically done now. It does not run well on iOS8. I can't imagine its going to get better.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Unless what the rumors say are true, then iOS 9 will be performance and stability, in which case I hope the iPad 2 gets it because iOS 8 is a mess on it. iOS 9 could potentially fix some issues and then that would be the last iOS it gets.

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Good point, with the rumors about iOS 9 not being a "feature release," I would imagine it won't exclude anything (like how Yosemite didn't exclude anything.)

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If I was Apple I would play hardball and cutoff iDevices that cannot 100% fluidly run iOS 9.

With that being said I'd set minimum hardware to 5S and iPad 3.

14. alphonseM macrumors member

Given the current dropping iPad sales, Apple might be tempted to pull a forced obsolescence. It would, however, be a risky move. More and more are already questioning the need for updating from iOS 7 to 8 - to further mark a division would lead to platform fragmentation at a time where Android is slowly closing their own gap.

Also, if the aim is to optimize the current build rather than to add features, I doubt that they will cut off the iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad mini (all basically have the same internals and all work fairly well on iOS8.1.3).

15. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

I'm guessing A6 processors & up (2012 models & up).

16. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

17. mlody macrumors 6502a

I am really hoping that iOS 9 will be supported on all iOS8 devices and the performance is improved across the board.

18. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I think yes just because supposedly this will be mainly performance update...

19. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

iPhone 5S, 6/6 Plus
    iPad Mini 2,3
    iPad Air, Air 2

A7 upwards.

That's it!

----------

Just because it might be a performance update doesn't mean it will work in older devices. It might be completely rewritten and the devices which are not 64bit will be left out. Hopefully they will. They all lag on iOS 8 already, there's not much can be done to fix them apart from the bug fixes 8.2/8.3 will bring.

20. oldmacs macrumors 68040

The rumour today is that iOS 9 is a speed improvement/stability and bug fix release. If they get performance better than iOS 8, then everything that ran iOS 8 should run iOS 9.

The iPad 2 will get support if the iPad Mini 1 does, and the 4S will get support if the iPod Touch 5 does, as both have the same internals (The iPod Touch 5 and the Mini 1 have better bluetooth). Since they're still selling the Touch 5 and Mini 1, I see all 4 devices will be supported.

As of now, there are about 23 percent of iPad users on the iPad 2, 21 percent of users on the Mini 1 and about 15 percent on the iPad 3. Thats 59 percent of people on A5 based iPads. Apple doesn't like fragmentation so supporting all of them would make sense.

Apple has been known to break update cycle patterns before. The 3GS was the first phone to receive 3 updates, the iPad 2 was the first to receive 4 updates.

21. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It's still too early to tell, ask again after the spring refresh.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If it doesn't run on everything that runs 8 then their stated purpose for 9 is dead before they even began.

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Idk I'm starting to lean towards iOS 9 supporting everything iOS 8 did since 9 is going to be a Snow Leopard-type release. In my book iOS 8 is comparable stability and bug wise to 10.7 Lion and Windows Vista. Not Apple's best OS update.

I will be extremely happy if this is the case. We have enough features right now that need fixing Apple, please don't add more and break the OS even further.

Now, if iOS 9 does drop support for A5 devices, the following will be left without an update:

iPhone 4s
    iPad 2
    iPad 3
    iPod touch 5th Gen (still in production)
    Apple TV 3rd Gen (still in production)

I don't see Apple picking and choosing a handful of the above devices to run iOS 9. They will either support them all or people will call fowl for not supporting the others. A6 devices (iPhone 5, 5c, iPad 4) should be safe no matter what, and if you have a 64-bit chip (A7, A8, or A8X) don't even worry about it.

24. oldmacs macrumors 68040

you left out the iPad Mini 1 :p

The iPad Mini which will almost definitely get support as it is still in production shares its intervals with the iPad 2, the same goes with the Touch 5 and 4S, so if the two devices still in production get support, then there is no reason for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S to receive support.

I would also be very happy if this update improved performance and stability. Also if it supports the older devices I will have many happy friends and family members. Amongst people I know, the iPad 2 and 3 and iPhone 4S are surprisingly common.

25. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Just because the iPod Touch 5 and iPad mini 1 are still being sold doesn't mean they have to support iOS 9. The iPod touch 4 was discontinued in May of 2013, just one month before iOS 7 was announced. The iPod Touch 4 did not support iOS 7. I think the same thing will happen with the iPod Touch 5 and iPad mini 1. They will be pulled just in time for the WWDC event in June where iOS 9 will be unveiled. iOS 9, assuming it is not mostly based around performance and bug fixes, will support the following devices, I think:

iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+, (iPhone 6C if that happens)

iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 3, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4.

I do not believe a new iPod Touch will happen, sadly. I hate to see it go, but I don't think it is very enticing anymore for Apple, sales for the iPod Touch have been rapidly declining since 2009.

Now, what do you guys think about the iPad 3? As you may know, it has an A5X chip. Twice the GPU cores as the A5 found in the iPad 2, and also twice the RAM at 1GB which matches the iPhone 5 and newer, and iPad 4 - Air. In the past, iOS devices have lost support due to RAM constraints. (i.e, the iPod 4 stayed with iOS 6 due to only having 256mb of RAM while the iPhone 4 had 512mb) Anyway, I personally think the iPad 3 will stay with iOS 8. Yes it has twice the RAM and GPU cores but after the taxing retina display, I think it all levels out. All A5 devices of any kind will be dropped in iOS 9 in my opinion.

If iOS 9 is mainly based around performance and bug fixes, all devices running iOS 8 should run iOS 9, however I doubt iOS 9 will be a polishing break. Just a gut feeling, even though I would love that.

There will be no version of iOS where iPhone 4S is left out but iPod 5/iPad mini 1 aren't. They have the same chipsets, that just isn't happening, even though the iPod 5 and iPad mini are still being sold after the iPhone 4S has been discontinued. Just no. This should be obvious.