Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
Most people didn't buy a retina macbook pro just to play D3. Most people consider than a luxury bonus they are getting. It's not like Macbooks are well known for gaming but this is the first time in a laptop where we can actually play modern games. Just to shorten the divide between pc gaming and mac gaming.

That is all. If you can't see why we are so interested, then you clearly missed it.

I can understand the need to "tinker" but if you are into gaming this isnt the machine for you, Ive been playing with the NRMBP 15" and it isnt up to dealing with DB3 compared to the Samsung series 7 gamers laptop.....nor BF3

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I can understand the need to "tinker" but if you are into gaming this isnt the machine for you, Ive been playing with the NRMBP 15" and it isnt up to dealing with DB3 compared to the Samsung series 7 gamers laptop.....nor BF3

I agree. If i want a beastly gaming setup, It's better off getting a computer. But it's nice to have comfort that if I want to use my computer for Diablo I can.

I'm happy. I will never buy a PC. I don't play PC games but I like to know I have the option to. This is the first time in 7 years where I actually have a laptop that can get me decent FPS on a computer. I just want to play skyrim and D3.

I don't care if they are playing at retina.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
This thread is f)*&king bonkers, why buy a rmbp to play Diablo 3? Go and get yourself a proper gaming rig, say like the Samsung Series 7 gamer, which will play DB 3 at full max settings (plus any other game you care to throw at it) much cheaper and has better hardware under the skin.....although the skin isnt nice to look at comapred to a rmbp..:confused:

----------

You must be in a time machine for the macs then.....and then back for the good "ole" windows gaming machines of today:rolleyes:

LOL, what are you smoking? That thing is essentially a 17" desktop, the Macbook Pro Retina is actually a portable gaming system.

I already have a Core i7 iMac for my desktop gaming needs.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
LOL, what are you smoking? That thing is essentially a 17" desktop, the Macbook Pro Retina is actually a portable gaming system.

I already have a Core i7 iMac for my desktop gaming needs.

It will play games but not like they should be played (BF3 being one of them) in Ultra settings on BF3 the gt650 struggles, medium is ok ish. Apple hasn designed the MBP retina or not to be a gaming machine, if they were they'd start with a higher GTX card.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
??

That is just you. Vsync does not such thing. Everybody plays everything with Vsync, usually without it on, it's intolerable for anything fast paced like an FPS, strategy game, or Action RPG.

----------

Non-native looks FINE in most cases especially in games.

Diablo 3 is not about the pretty sharp pictures, it's about the feel of the game. I turn my Core i7 6970M iMac settings down to 1920x1200 in order to get 60FPS with VSYNC on. Anything less than 60 FPS is completely intolerable in Diablo 3.

----------

The M14x has the trashiest screen in existence, it may as well be a tarted up and slow desktop as the screen is not that I would tolerate on anything more than a $200 netbook.

Yes, he is false. Completely false.

I have Diablo 3 installed in both my OSX and Windows Partitions and the same exact settings yield a 20-30% performance improvement in Windows.

Do not bother testing D3 performance in OSX. It is awful.

I can play D3 on a 2011 MBA 13" on HD3000 at 30FPS and is very playable. The rMBP can easily get 60FPS. Of course the higher the setting, the more the strain the GPU gets, so running at 2880x1800 is quite a burden for a mobile GPU. You guys are being unrealistic. Other laptops don't even have that resolution that you can compare against.

The fact that in Windows runs smoother (probably due to DirectX against OpenGL?) doesn't mean that on OS X is any less playable. 60FPS are achievable and 30FPS are more than enough to play.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
This thread just saved me 3 grand. I have been debating since the Retina MBP came out whether or not to replace my 2010 MBP now so I could still sell this one and get a good price. I play Diablo III on my PC computer right now, between 50 and 60 frames per second. I don't think I could play it at 30 frames per second which is the best that people seem to be getting in this thread.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
This thread just saved me 3 grand. I have been debating since the Retina MBP came out whether or not to replace my 2010 MBP now so I could still sell this one and get a good price. I play Diablo III on my PC computer right now, between 50 and 60 frames per second. I don't think I could play it at 30 frames per second which is the best that people seem to be getting in this thread.

You're missing the point. If you are buying a computer just to play D3... then something is up with you :confused:. People are getting 30fps running @ full retina resolution. You will get 50-60fps running at 1080p on full maxed out.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

Like others have said buying a mac to just play diablo is insane.

I bought my mac because of many other reasons, but I also love to play games so I will game on my mac when I can.

I see no need for anyone even with a retina MBP to be trying to run the game at 2880x1800, most desktop cards will struggle to run games at a solid 60FPS on decent settings at that resolution.

Buying a macbook pro or any laptop and whining about the performance at such a high res just seems crazy.

I can play Diablo 3 on my 2011 MBP with 6750m and get 35fps consistently on High settings in OSX at 1440x900 and the same settings in windows at 50fps. On high settings at 1440x900 or 1920x1200 the rMBP should be able to handle diablo3 with relative ease, obviously it will perform better in windows.

If you love games and you have bought an apple computer you should already be aware of the performance hit you will take playing in OSX, I am willing to accept this to use the operating system I like the most, I was even happy playing WoW at 15fps for years on my old white macbook. Not everyone is craving ultra high res gaming from there macbook pro, and if they are then they haven't done there research at all.

If i wanted to JUST game i'd have a windows laptop/desktop but as things stand i'd much rather take a performance hit in those games and use a mac.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dont worry about fps in HEll mode.

When you get into inferno, 99% of your gamin time will be farmin the Auction House, and you wont need any fps to play.

You need high FPS to have a chance against the AH sniping botters.

----------

Then you didn't read the thread. The game runs just fine at resolutions below 2880x1800. I play on both a beastly windows desktop PC and the MBPr, the difference in frame rate and quality is minor.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Ok, I was cruising the interwebs early this morning at 3am and saw this thread but apparently only read a small portion of it. I would not be buying the Retina MBP in order to only play D3, but that program is something I'd like it to do and do well since my early 2010 MBP won't play it without severely heating up to the point where damage is possible if not likely.

As far as one of the replies after my first post said, apparently I should know about the performance drop that would happen when gaming on an Apple Laptop. But I did not know games would suffer on this system. I honestly expected it to work just fine on my older MBP, and when it didn't, I bought a PC desktop in order to game on while hooked up to my 32" 1080p TV that I have in my bedroom. When the Retina MBP came out, I looked at the specs and assumed it would run just fine on max settings since it is a brand new MBP, not an Air or something with lesser performance. Maybe I didn't do my research before posting here, but I kind of thought this was exactly what qualified as research, posting on a discussion forum regarding the subject that I'm looking to learn more about.

Another major reason I was looking at replacing my old MBP with one of the new Retina ones is that selling it now, I could probably get a fair value for it, between $750 and $1000. This is being taken into account as well when considering buying a MBP with Retina display.

As I understand this thread, I could simply reduce the display resolution to a lower setting and still get the 30-60fps that I'm looking for so I could still play at quality and frames per second similar to what I'm used to on the PC Desktop?

edit....other thing that pissed me off, like many others, was Mountain Lion not allowing my computer to do true mirroring, and the retina version of the new one would.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.