Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah and it's pretty damn amazing. If Apple gave us the green light to change out graphics cards then we wouldn't be here in this thread happy to play modern games at low settings.

Plus using a mini display port cable to run this thing through an iMac is impressive.

i don't get what is impressive... he built a computer without putting it in a case so its setting out.. then he used his iMac as the monitor... he didn't do anything special, he just plugged it in since the iMac is already designed by Apple to do just that. Take any graphics card in any computer with displayport and plug it into the imac and use the screen.. it uses the screen directly, none of the Mac computer hardware... its basically just a monitor with an apple logo at that point.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
I never noticed any difference between Windows and Mac for Blizzard games tbh. I hate windows with a passion so Blizzard tends to get all my money allocated for games.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Running it on my MBP in OSX at 1440x900 all max, vsync and anti-aliasing off and it's running pretty perfectly, very fluid and a very nice experience.

filmfanatic24

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I'm having issues on my Mid 2011 iMac.

Here is what I have:

Specs:

iMac - 3.1 GHZ i5 - 12GB DDR3, Radeon HD 6970M 1024, 10.7.4 Lion

It usually does really good with games, not ultra on everything but really high settings. Yet, I'm running Diablo at:

1920x1080, High Texture Quality, Medium Shadows, High Physics, Medium Clutter, AA, and V Sync and it's chugging in parts.

I don't know how to turn on the FPS counter but it's not running smooth at all.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Since Diablo 3 is a dual platform game that has been universally optimized, I can't believe that the game on the windows partition on a Mac would run better than OSX on the same Mac.

For many games this would hold true, but it doesn't make sense in this case; however, I am intrigued to test this because I have both options.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Im running everything on high except for shadows, thats on medium.

MBP 15" 2.4 quad i7 6770 with 1GB VRam and 8 GB RAM on the OSX side

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Just a quick update on diablo 3 performance on OSX Lion.

They updated the beta today and added a command to view FPS.

Base Model 2011 21.5" iMac OSX Lion
Maximum settings average 20-24fps normal, seems low now that i see the number, but to my eyes it ran just fine.

All Settings maxed except shadows on low, 30 fps

All settings maxed except shadows off, 35-40fps

I haven't tried running it on bootcamp. too lazy to install it, but I honestly don't think its going to be that much of a improvement. Maybe for some older models.

Just to add my two cents. I was playing the beta on my 2009 iMac Quad core 27" and had NO issues with lag or graphics UNTIL I put the video settings on max for resloution. I bumped it back a bit and had no issues.

I still bought a PC to play it on because well. My first PC ever bought was to play Diablo haha! Might as well relive old times!

Chrusty

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
I have 2011 iMac with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB and in W7 (Bootcamp) the performance is *way* better then on OS X. In some areas where I would get 30 FPS on OS X, W7 does goes about 60ish and its very noticeable.

Blizzard need to look into optimizing OpenGL layer/implementation, since this is just insane and as other person mentioned, the performance drop *only* happened after their 16th beta release, so its definitely an issue with code.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
I have 2011 iMac with AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB and in W7 (Bootcamp) the performance is *way* better then on OS X. In some areas where I would get 30 FPS on OS X, W7 does goes about 60ish and its very noticeable.

Blizzard need to look into optimizing OpenGL layer/implementation, since this is just insane and as other person mentioned, the performance drop *only* happened after their 16th beta release, so its definitely an issue with code.

OK, thanks for that. Haven tried bootcamp yet, but the framerate drop in OS X does seem a little too much for the mac. Thanks!

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Since Diablo 3 is a dual platform game that has been universally optimized, I can't believe that the game on the windows partition on a Mac would run better than OSX on the same Mac.

For many games this would hold true, but it doesn't make sense in this case; however, I am intrigued to test this because I have both options.

being its not a single OpenGL engine on both platforms... yes there are differences. Their DirectX build running on Windows, with good DirectX capable GPU, will run better than OpenGL on many GPUs... this is not because DirectX is better than OpenGL, but because the makers of GPUs focus on DirectX for gaming reasons, and usually are more lacking in their support and speed of OpenGL.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Tested it in Windows. On newer MacBook Pro's there might not be a difference but on something like the Late-2008 or later with the 9600M GT GPU, noticeable difference/improvement. I was a bit surprised because Starcraft II ran about the same.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Tested it in Windows. On newer MacBook Pro's there might not be a difference but on something like the Late-2008 or later with the 9600M GT GPU, noticeable difference/improvement. I was a bit surprised because Starcraft II ran about the same.

I agree with this. There is a very large material difference with the 9400m on Windows compared to OS X, but only if you're using the newest drivers. It is playable (at least up until act 2) on the 9400m on Windows, it is not on OS X, at least with the 9400m.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
From what I've seen, the DirectX optimizations for the video drivers under Bootcamp do outperform the OpenGL drivers for OSX. In general with all all other setting being equal, DirectX running with AA enabled will slightly out perform OpenGL with AA off.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have always been in the camp of "it runs well enough in OSX why bother using windows."

Yesterday I installed W7 and Diablo3 and it is a world of difference.

OSX - everything on high apart from shadows at medium, AA on, 1440x900 and it runs at a consisten 28fps

W7 - exact same settings as above and I get 50-55fps

So now I am in the Windows for games OSX for everything else camp.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have always been in the camp of "it runs well enough in OSX why bother using windows."

Yesterday I installed W7 and Diablo3 and it is a world of difference.

OSX - everything on high apart from shadows at medium, AA on, 1440x900 and it runs at a consisten 28fps

W7 - exact same settings as above and I get 50-55fps

So now I am in the Windows for games OSX for everything else camp.

Oh don't get me wrong, i'm sure its faster.

However, to run it in boot camp will be >100gb of my drive for Windows (plus a Windows license!) + Swap + D3, and I have a PC sitting in the corner if i desperately want to run the Windows copy :D

Which i probably will, once I get a desk to set it up on again.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Oh don't get me wrong, i'm sure its faster.

However, to run it in boot camp will be >100gb of my drive for Windows (plus a Windows license!) + Swap + D3, and I have a PC sitting in the corner if i desperately want to run the Windows copy :D

Which i probably will, once I get a desk to set it up on again.

Oh yeah it is a bit of a hassle initially, I get W7 licence free from my work so that brings the cost down for me.

I think we will see more people dual booting when larger SSD drives are affordable, the boot times of either OS on a SSD will mean that switching over takes less than 30 seconds.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I also have the 27" TB display and with it hooked up via mac os I struggle with about 15FPS on low settings with the screens native resolution.

Now via bootcamp, I am playing on max settings with the 27" with same resolution and I'am getting 50FPS solid......

Today, why is this? I'm familiar with the historical reasons why Windows runs games faster. Today is it the usual culprits- OSX System? Call translations? OpenGL vs DirectX? (Or is this game OpenGL on both platforms?)

Since we are running games natively and in Windows on the same hardware, it's apparent that for whatever reason (infrastructure, Windows oriented game development) Windows produces higher frame rates. Having said that, I'd accept somewhat lower frames to play native OSX, as long as performance does not take too big a hit.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Today, why is this? I'm familiar with the historical reasons why Windows runs games faster. Today is it the usual culprits- OSX System? Call translations? OpenGL vs DirectX? (Or is this game OpenGL on both platforms?)

Since we are running games natively and in Windows on the same hardware, it's apparent that for whatever reason (infrastructure, Windows oriented game development) Windows produces higher frame rates. Having said that, I'd accept somewhat lower frames to play native OSX, as long as performance does not take too big a hit.

I believe it's Open GL on the Mac side and Direct X on the Windows side and Direct X gives a better performance. It could be the optimisation on the Mac side is not as good but I would be surprised if that was the case. Also the graphics card drivers on the Windows side are probably much more mature and efficient then on the Mac side.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

One thing I have noticed is that my macbook pro is MUCH cooler playing in OSX, in W7 the thing is roasting all the time.

I need to re-install my OSX from scratch as it has not been cleaned up since i got the laptop in feb 2011 so I want to see if this gets me any performance boost at all.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I believe it's Open GL on the Mac side and Direct X on the Windows side and Direct X gives a better performance. It could be the optimisation on the Mac side is not as good but I would be surprised if that was the case. Also the graphics card drivers on the Windows side are probably much more mature and efficient then on the Mac side.

It is almost entirely due to APIs and how OSX handles the OpenGL calls.
No matter how optimized the engine is, it will always run more poorly on OSX due to this.

OpenGL in Windows vs OpenGL on OSx, Windows will still be faster.
Try it out with something like World of Warcraft to see that it holds true.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
It is almost entirely due to APIs and how OSX handles the OpenGL calls.
No matter how optimized the engine is, it will always run more poorly on OSX due to this.

OpenGL in Windows vs OpenGL on OSx, Windows will still be faster.
Try it out with something like World of Warcraft to see that it holds true.

Considering Blizzard is working on a patch for the OSx client right now that's supposed to increase frame rates across the board, I'm sure there are multiple issues at play.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235703519
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5151270034

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I decided to break down and build a gaming PC. Granted, my MBP isn't meant to heavily game but this has been a problem with Apple for years: refusal to support the gaming consumer. I love OS X but I have no problem using Windows for games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.