iPhone XR Did 12.3 improve Face ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, May 13, 2019.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Since moving from my 8+ to my XR in November, I’ve been annoyed that I can’t hold my XR at arms length and have it unlock with Face ID (I’m 6’2” and apparently have long monkey arms).

However, just updated to 12.3 an hour ago and it seems like it’s unlocking now with my arm fully outstretched. Maybe a 2-3” improvement? Anyone else seeing this as well? Thanks.

2. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Do you do this as a matter of normal use? Or is it just an experiment? I can't imagine holding my phone at the end of my fully outstretched arm would be anything less than highly inconvenient.

3. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I just upgraded tonight and just tested (I’m 6’1”) and it unlocked, will have to wait till the morning to see if it will unlock while on a stand on the dashboard in my car, which has been a problem for me since the X.

4. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

5. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Hmm you may be onto something here.

I'll need to test it further tomorrow & report back!

6. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

7. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020

dmk1974

For me, the worst-case situation is when it's on my dash mount in my car which is approximately at arm's length. But you are right, I don't usually have my elbow locked at full reach when using the Face ID. So far, it just seems a little better. Maybe it's not, but seems like it though.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I’d argue it does not. Before update, my test iPhone XS Max won’t unlock under low light. After update. It still refuse to unlock under similar low light condition.

9. Lyrca macrumors regular

Lyrca

That’s weird, it should unlock even in a pitch black surrounding.

I haven’t noticed any difference since upgrading to 12.3, maybe I need a couple more days experimenting to find out.

10. ajguckian macrumors member

I actually had my first missed unlock in forever today, because I was yawning. It's always been pretty spot on for me, so no difference with this release here.

11. aldo82 macrumors regular

For me FaceID went much slower with 12.2 but with 12.3 its back to the best and works very reliably for me in the normal range of usage for my phone. If anything I actually find it works better with the phone further away rather than closer. But I don't have very long arms!

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Ambient lighting has nothing to do with FaceID. I can walk into a pitch dark closet and my MAX opens instantly.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

14. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

With downtime present and pitch dark? Downtime will let your iPhone emit a very small amount of light (for OLED screen). I have a hard time trying to unlock in that scenario. Maybe I will try to let the iPhone register my face again.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You face is detected by the dots that the phone projects on your face and not ambient light.

16. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Ok. Assuming that is the case. I just lock my phone a few seconds ago for some testing. 11pm, dark room. iPhone close to my face. Tries to unlock, fail 5 out of 5. I have to type passcode to get in. Tried a reset face already. Feels like my unit has some problems with Face ID.

17. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

It’s not assuming, it’s a fact. There is a flood illuminator, dot projector and an infrared camera.

The flood illuminator lights up your face for the phone, the dot projector projects the dots, the infrared sensor sees the dots and the phone creates a map.

18. newellj macrumors 604

Yes, I get the fastest unlocks in dark or near dark conditions. I haven't noticed it being faster, but I'm not saying it isn't.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2019 at 8:33 AM ---
    You might be holding it too close? I found Face ID works best when you register your face in moderate light with few shadow at arms length (that is, as far away from your face as possible). Learning these tricks made a huge difference with my iPhone X and now with the Xs.

19. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

My XS Max unlocks fine even in very low light. With the new iOS it’s also noticeably faster.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Do not hold it "close to your face".

Ambient light has nothing to do with it.

21. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree with you. With my XR in a car mount in order to unlock my phone I had to move my head slightly forward. With 12.3 I no longer have to do this. It’s an obvious difference/improvement.

22. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Wow, thanks for this tip. Yes, I hold it close because I am using it while on the bed. Did not notice this hidden requirement for Face ID. Now the ambient light has much less impact than I thought before.

23. Falcon9 macrumors regular

Falcon9

I haven’t noticed a difference from 12.2 and 12.3. FaceID has always worked well for me.

24. aldo82 macrumors regular

faceID is flawless in the dark I find. I have to hold my phone close to read it, especially when I don't have my contacts in but I have learnt that too close and faceID won't work. So to unlock I just hold it a bit further away, swipe up to unlock and then move it closer to read

25. chabig macrumors 603

FaceID isn’t affected by ambient light. In fact it requires no ambient light at all. It uses infrared from its own built in illuminator.