Did a presign form for UPS delivery? Not guaranteed

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
So I am at work today and left the presign form from apple.com for m UPS delivery. Well just got a UPS notification that a first attempt was made but receiver was not available.

Just a heads up to others that tried this method, it apparently does have a fail rate. It was in my door with UPS written big on it and it was ignored.

On the phone on hold now trying to get a resolution.

Last edited:

bryancee

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
So I am at work today and left the presign form from apple.com for m UPS delivery. Well just got a UPS notification that a first attempt was made but receiver was not available.

Just a heads up to others that tried this method, it apparently does have a fail rate. It was in my door with UPS written big on it and it was ignored.

Interesting, I was gonna do that but decided to stay home. Hope it works out for you!

Comment

ClemTiger0408

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007

Isn't it possible it somehow fell off your door? Mine was delivered.

Comment

davefromca

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
Santa Barbara

"Whoa dude relax....take it easy its just a phone, whats the rifle for???"

Comment

drogba

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
All depends on the driver. Sometimes they see em and sometimes they don't. And some of them just don't take it as "good nuff." Personally, I'd like to have the phone when I get home but I wouldn't want it stolen either. Usually they'll send it right back to the pickup center and you can snag it there.

Comment

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
The note was closed in the door itself sticking out. Unlike tape or something it couldnt fall out unless someone opened the door.

drogba> But if its the policy, it is "good enough". Its not the drivers job to make that decision. The companies policy is.

Its not a huge deal, just frustrating.

Comment

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Just got the same message when I checked tracking:

The receiver was not available at the time of the first delivery attempt. A second attempt will be made.

I left a presign as well. Weird....

Comment

desertrat23

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
I had mine delivered to my office, and UPS showed up and specifically had me come out of my office to sign for it. They wouldn't let the receptionist sign for it -- it specifically had to be me. Weird.

Comment

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Just got the same message when I checked tracking:

The receiver was not available at the time of the first delivery attempt. A second attempt will be made.

I left a presign as well. Weird....
Not weird. I don't believe UPS honors those. They have one option when shipping; signature required. FEDEX has two options; indirect signature, and direct signature. FEDEX honors a signed note with indirect signature only.

Comment

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Not weird. I don't believe UPS honors those. They have one option when shipping; signature required. FEDEX has two options; indirect signature, and direct signature. FEDEX honors a signed note with indirect signature only.
I checked the ups site and they said they do honor presign notes. They also have in the past with other apple orders like an imac I bought once. Maybe the note blew off or it's a mistake...

Comment

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
Just hung up and want to confirm the presign forms for UPS are useless as in the end its "driver discretion" per the UPS rep.

I setup to pick mine up tonight, but again just a FYI for those doing the same. Its not guaranteed. Good luck all

Comment

wolfedude88

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2013
Indiana
This is the first time in a long time that ups actually honored my pre signed note. I have confirmation that my iphone was left on my front porch.

Now I just need to get off of work.

Comment

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
UPS usually never leaves packages even at the customers request. It's at their discretion and they probably trying to minimize settlement losses.

Comment

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
This is the first time in a long time that ups actually honored my pre signed note. I have confirmation that my iphone was left on my front porch.

Now I just need to get off of work.
Nice! I am the opposite. Its the first time they didn't honor mine. Oh well, Im picking mine up at 4 at their office. Not a huge deal for me.

Comment

CalMin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
I've had this happen. Apparently, the driver has full discretion as to whether or not to accept the pre-sign. If they feel that there is any risk of theft, they will not leave the package.

With all the publicity around the launch today, it's highly possible that undesirables are keeping an eye on UPS trucks to see if they leave any packages on doorsteps.

Comment

kupkakez

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX

Isn't it up to the driver's discretion?

Comment

doverlock

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Austin, TX
I had mine delivered to my office, and UPS showed up and specifically had me come out of my office to sign for it. They wouldn't let the receptionist sign for it -- it specifically had to be me. Weird.
That is interesting... maybe because it was a business?

Do you think they'd be just as strict delivering to a home? I am still on my family's plan, with my father being the account holder. His name is on the shipment, so I want to be sure they'd let me sign for it.

Comment

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Same thing happened with the doorman in my building.. he called me and said I had to sign for it.. I sent the wifey instead though the the UPS guy let her sign.

Comment

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Was the name and address printed on the drop-off form exactly like the name and address on the shipping label?

We get a discount on our AT&T service through my wife's work, so even though I purchase the phones via my Apple account, they actually come to my wife's name. One of our UPS driver's won't leave an item if I sign for a phone with my wife's name on it. Happened with a 5c I ordered last year.

Comment

desertrat23

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Same thing happened with the doorman in my building.. he called me and said I had to sign for it.. I sent the wifey instead though the the UPS guy let her sign.
Maybe because it was a business, or maybe I just had a driver in a bad mood. I specifically had it delivered to work because I figured even if I was out of the office there would be someone available to sign for it. All my other Apple products I've had delivered to work and never had an issue until today. Glad I was here.

Comment

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Quick chat with UPS online and yup! driver's discretion. Guess leaving a huge iMac was fine but not a an iPhone (unless he got fired today, I've had the same driver for a decade.). Guess I'm waiting to Monday.

Comment

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I have had this happen with Fedex last fall with my iMac purchase. Resolution is, sigh their slip for the second attempt, or arrange pick up. Calling go me nowhere. YMMV.

Comment

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Maybe because it was a business, or maybe I just had a driver in a bad mood. I specifically had it delivered to work because I figured even if I was out of the office there would be someone available to sign for it. All my other Apple products I've had delivered to work and never had an issue until today. Glad I was here.
Same for me. Have never had the issue with last years iphone.

Comment