Did a presign form for UPS delivery? Not guaranteed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SparkFlash, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SparkFlash, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

So I am at work today and left the presign form from apple.com for m UPS delivery. Well just got a UPS notification that a first attempt was made but receiver was not available.

Just a heads up to others that tried this method, it apparently does have a fail rate. It was in my door with UPS written big on it and it was ignored.

On the phone on hold now trying to get a resolution.

2. bryancee macrumors regular

Interesting, I was gonna do that but decided to stay home. Hope it works out for you!

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

Maybe it's for the best. Who knows, it's possible someone was following that truck trying to steal a phone.

4. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

Isn't it possible it somehow fell off your door? Mine was delivered.

5. davefromca macrumors 6502

"Whoa dude relax....take it easy its just a phone, whats the rifle for???"

6. drogba macrumors member

All depends on the driver. Sometimes they see em and sometimes they don't. And some of them just don't take it as "good nuff." Personally, I'd like to have the phone when I get home but I wouldn't want it stolen either. Usually they'll send it right back to the pickup center and you can snag it there.

7. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

The note was closed in the door itself sticking out. Unlike tape or something it couldnt fall out unless someone opened the door.

drogba> But if its the policy, it is "good enough". Its not the drivers job to make that decision. The companies policy is.

Its not a huge deal, just frustrating.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Just got the same message when I checked tracking:

The receiver was not available at the time of the first delivery attempt. A second attempt will be made.

I left a presign as well. Weird....

9. desertrat23 macrumors member

I had mine delivered to my office, and UPS showed up and specifically had me come out of my office to sign for it. They wouldn't let the receptionist sign for it -- it specifically had to be me. Weird.

10. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Not weird. I don't believe UPS honors those. They have one option when shipping; signature required. FEDEX has two options; indirect signature, and direct signature. FEDEX honors a signed note with indirect signature only.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I checked the ups site and they said they do honor presign notes. They also have in the past with other apple orders like an imac I bought once. Maybe the note blew off or it's a mistake...

12. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

Just hung up and want to confirm the presign forms for UPS are useless as in the end its "driver discretion" per the UPS rep.

I setup to pick mine up tonight, but again just a FYI for those doing the same. Its not guaranteed. Good luck all

13. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

This is the first time in a long time that ups actually honored my pre signed note. I have confirmation that my iphone was left on my front porch.

Now I just need to get off of work.

14. oplix Suspended

oplix

UPS usually never leaves packages even at the customers request. It's at their discretion and they probably trying to minimize settlement losses.

15. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

Nice! I am the opposite. Its the first time they didn't honor mine. Oh well, Im picking mine up at 4 at their office. Not a huge deal for me.

16. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I've had this happen. Apparently, the driver has full discretion as to whether or not to accept the pre-sign. If they feel that there is any risk of theft, they will not leave the package.

With all the publicity around the launch today, it's highly possible that undesirables are keeping an eye on UPS trucks to see if they leave any packages on doorsteps.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Drivers discretion. Maybe he didn't like the look of your neighborhood.

18. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Isn't it up to the driver's discretion?

19. doverlock macrumors regular

doverlock

That is interesting... maybe because it was a business?

Do you think they'd be just as strict delivering to a home? I am still on my family's plan, with my father being the account holder. His name is on the shipment, so I want to be sure they'd let me sign for it.

20. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened with the doorman in my building.. he called me and said I had to sign for it.. I sent the wifey instead though the the UPS guy let her sign.

21. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Was the name and address printed on the drop-off form exactly like the name and address on the shipping label?

We get a discount on our AT&T service through my wife's work, so even though I purchase the phones via my Apple account, they actually come to my wife's name. One of our UPS driver's won't leave an item if I sign for a phone with my wife's name on it. Happened with a 5c I ordered last year.

22. desertrat23 macrumors member

Maybe because it was a business, or maybe I just had a driver in a bad mood. I specifically had it delivered to work because I figured even if I was out of the office there would be someone available to sign for it. All my other Apple products I've had delivered to work and never had an issue until today. Glad I was here.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Quick chat with UPS online and yup! driver's discretion. Guess leaving a huge iMac was fine but not a an iPhone (unless he got fired today, I've had the same driver for a decade.). Guess I'm waiting to Monday.

24. aham23 macrumors regular

I have had this happen with Fedex last fall with my iMac purchase. Resolution is, sigh their slip for the second attempt, or arrange pick up. Calling go me nowhere. YMMV.

25. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Same for me. Have never had the issue with last years iphone.