Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFreak89

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Tampa, fl
people you should buy it as close to the 7th as possible, so that way you can return and exchange for the new 4g if it comes out in time ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
people you should buy it as close to the 7th as possible, so that way you can return and exchange for the new 4g if it comes out in time ;)

And possibly incur the 15% restocking fee?

You can call AT&T right now and tell them to add the iPhone data plan to your account. They will do it. ;)

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Would buying a 3gs for the sole purpose of unlimited data be retarded?

I was looking forward to the new phones but i really don't like the thought of being capped data wise. I have no idea how much i would actually use, but id rather have the option to use as much as i want. Obviously i wouldn't get the new phone, but maybe i would be upgrade eligible sometime close to release of next summers new iphone. Now am i retarded for thinking this way?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I was looking forward to the new phones but i really don't like the thought of being capped data wise. I have no idea how much i would actually use, but id rather have the option to use as much as i want. Obviously i wouldn't get the new phone, but maybe i would be upgrade eligible sometime close to release of next summers new iphone. Now am i retarded for thinking this way?

Not at all. I'd do exactly that if I were in your shoes.

And who knows. Maybe you'll be able to sell the 3GS for enough to pay for a new one. There's going to be a lot of people out there for a couple of weeks who have no idea a new iPhone has been announced.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Not at all. I'd do exactly that if I were in your shoes.

And who knows. Maybe you'll be able to sell the 3GS for enough to pay for a new one. There's going to be a lot of people out there for a couple of weeks who have no idea a new iPhone has been announced.

Actually i just got off the phone with ATT. I forgot they had a 30 day return policy. If the new iPhone comes out within 30 days (99% chance that will happen) then i can upgrade the new phone while keeping the unlimited data plan since i made my contract before the new data rates took place. Problem solved :)

ImpostorOak

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
Of course, they might purposefully wait to release it so people can't do that. But I don't think that's too likely since it's not ATT that decides when it comes out. I doubt Apple gives a crap about ATT's data plans.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
yes retarted unless you don't want the 4g phone and buy the 3gs at walmart for 97$

What you should do is buy a cheap smartphone on craigslist or ebay, should be able to get one under 150$, get unlimited data then when the new iphone comes out you get the subsidy for it and sell your cheap phone if you want.

kryten3000

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Ecuador (Cotopaxi)
I actually have done this. :D

I was thinking that over the long term with more 'Cloud' based services being the norm, my data usage is probably gonna go through the roof. So I used my company's employee discount plan to get a refurbished iPhone 3G (they waved the activation charges). In total I'm paying about 50.00 for the phone and will resell it later to re-coup the cost. ;)

Bonus for me is that my plan month to month will be cheaper than with Verizon. I'll wait for the commotion about the iPhone HD to die down and for the little bugs to be worked out then once i'm good and ready I'll get it too. :cool:

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Next question, does anyone know if you buy an iPhone at an ATT store, do you have to return/exchange it at the same store or could you take it to another ATT store? I just want to make sure my plan goes smoothly, and it isn't ruined because the store that i bought it from not getting that many new iPhones (hopefully they could just order me one for the exchange if they are out of stock?)

Kinobi

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Florida
I am in a similar situation coming from Tmobile. I am really considering buying 3GS tomorrow for me and my wife (new account) and swapping in with new model in 30 days.. is this possible? would At&T give me a hard time about it?

What about restocking fee?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
why on earth would anyone buy a 3GS now? I wouldnt buy one now if they came with free data for a year. id rather pay the $10 overage if I go a little over on my 4g then be stuck with a 3gs when the new phone is weeks from becoming available.

btw I have a 3gs and will be grandfathered in :p

Kinobi

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Florida
why on earth would anyone buy a 3GS now? I wouldnt buy one now if they came with free data for a year. id rather pay the $10 overage if I go a little over on my 4g then be stuck with a 3gs when the new phone is weeks from becoming available.

Don't you have 30 days to return/exchange it?

Martinsalas310

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Nampa, idaho
buy any iphone now if u qualify for an upgrade. try a place like bestbuy that has a 30 day return policy then just exchange when new iphone comes out so u can be grandfathered in.;)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
buy any iphone now if u qualify for an upgrade. try a place like bestbuy that has a 30 day return policy then just exchange when new iphone comes out so u can be grandfathered in.;)

corporate stores can accept returns also. I don't live in a HUGE area but 2 out of 6 of our AT&T's are corporate stores so there is probably one in everyones area. But I would just buy a 3G outright, and don't use your upgrade. Then return it and upgrade you line with iPhone 4... I think this would be a smoother process than using your upgrade now and returning it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.