Did anyone else order the 27" with SSD only?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by [CoRdOvA], Jun 16, 2011.

1. [CoRdOvA] macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Considering I have an empty 2TB external HDD already, I made the decision when ordering to choose only the SSD in my new 27" configuration. I figured that I could keep all my apps etc on the SSD and store files, music, movies etc on the external.

I guess my main question is, is it OK to move the home folder onto my USB2 2TB external HD? I know there are lots of questions similar to this on the forum but I hadn't found anyone asking about moving the home folder to an external HD, only the internal ones. Would there be any performance issues here because it's USB2?

Did I make a big mistake not ordering an internal HDD? :confused:

Also, I have a USB2 1TB external that I was going to use for Time Machine. Should I be swapping these HDD's around so that I have the 1TB for files/home folder and the 2TB for Time Machine? Would Time Machine also back up what's on my other external HDD (the one with the home folder etc)?

I hope I'm making sense here... this is all new to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kind regards,
    Amelia

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I would set up files on the external hard drive such as movies pictures etc. Anything smaller than 50 MB such as word files powerpoints etc save on the SSD large collections of music or photos, movies save externally. It was a very smart decision to go for the SSD will be worth it in the long run also upgrade to Lion it will have trim support so you don't waste read writes and wear it out as fast.

3. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

I was wondering if having just the SSD would help keep the machine cool - a) there's no spinning up and such, and b) there's a hard drive sized block of open air in there!

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I think this is the best way to buy a new 27 inch iMac but I am counting on this photo below to allow booting.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10549 this link shows the units..

I will want two units not 4 a 240gb ssd and a 1tb 7200 rpm

Attached Files:

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Heat mainly comes from the CPU however on laptops an SSD has been known to increase battery life so less power possibly slightly less heat maybe a degree at most though.

6. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Ahh okay. Still, definitely the way of the future. It'll be the way I get an iMac configured if that ever happens.

7. AllStarCelica macrumors newbie

i opted for the 256 SSD + 1TB HDD for the purpose of running the OS and any apps off the SSD. the power and speed of the SSD will make all the apps and OS that much faster. the 1TB HDD is strictly for storage of music, pics, movies, docs or anything that isnt an app or the OS. and of course, I also have an iomega 1TB external for use with time machine. i have a lot of movies and music though so the need for the 1TB HDD was necessary regardless.

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot