Did anyone get an att phone/contract then upgrade to iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, Jul 2, 2007.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I realize most at&t stores are out of stock right now but I wouldnt mind waiting a week if I could get a $200 phone with the contract for free, sell it on ebay/(or keep it for when my iphone battery dies or use it for functions the iphone doesnt currently have), and then get an iphone for 2 years.

I've heard people discuss this option but has anyone actually done this and can verify at&t will allow it?

Thanks
    Michael

2. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

I did.

3. dr_lha macrumors 68000

AT&T's FAQ specifically says they allow it, and I plan on doing it when my iPhone arrives from Apple (ordered online).

Seems like a great way to get that subsidy that AT&T should really be giving you when you sign up for a 2 year contract.

4. randgalt macrumors newbie

I did. We were with Verizon and my wife didn't want an iPhone. So, the day before, we went in and moved to ATT. Then, on the day I added the iPhone.

5. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

I did. Got the Nokia 6126 free w/ no rebates through my (former) corporate discount. Hello ebay...

6. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok pt 2 then...

...whats the second best at&t phone for the price? obviously a $300 phone for $50 is a better deal than a free $100 phone.

Or which phone has the most features that the iphone lacks(in order to keep both)?

7. spicoli macrumors member

Two brand new razrs for me. One for my wife (she was due for an upgrade) and one for me as an iPhone backup. She didn't think that the iPhone was worth $600, until she played with mine. Now she wants one. Maybe Christmas.

8. Oofie macrumors regular

So if I do this, I'll still be in a 2 year contract? Or will AT&T add my 2 phones for 4 years?

9. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

2 years from the date you activate your iPhone.

10. Oofie macrumors regular

So basically, if I get a free phone now with a contract for 2 years, use it 6 months, then get an iPhone down the road, I'll only be committed for 2 years from the activation date of the iPhone? Seems a good way to get a "discount" on the iPhone.:D

11. JCluts macrumors newbie

This is exactly what I plan to do, and I'm not sure why more new customers aren't doing the same. The end monthly cost ends up being identical, and if you create your AT&T account through iTunes at home, you're basically passing up the free phone (which in some cases can be eBayed for good $$$).

There were a few other threads here and on HowardForums regarding this method of getting hooked up with iPhone/AT&T, and a few people have confirmed it's entirely on the up and up with AT&T (And why shouldn't it? With the iPhone alone you're not getting any rebate or "free" phone with your 2 year contract.)

It seems you can get a free Samsung Sync with a new AT&T plan at Best Buy. Those are going for around $200 on eBay. My early termination fee on T-Mobile is going to be $200. ;)

12. himansk macrumors regular

i got a freebie with a 2yr contract, then transferred the number to iphone during activation. i wont be able to sell it on ebay, but its a good backup phone for times of need.

13. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Easy way for those in contract still to get out for free

you pay 175-200 to get out of your tmobile(or any other carrier), then sell the free phone from at&t for $200 and buy an iphone. or if your not in contract that makes the iphone only 299/399. ...much more reasonable

14. Nall macrumors regular

I think it would have been HILIARIOUS if, for new customers, AT&T had offered to use that money to pay your contract cancellation fee.

15. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

I got a Samsung Blackjack for $75 the night before iDay. I intend to sell it for $200-250.

16. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I frequently don't get large corperations not coming up with what seems like obvious solutions. Of course I work at Wal-mart so I see it everyday :(

17. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

18. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

You still can technically. Return your phone and cancel your plan. You lose the $49 restock fee(though some have said thier store waived the restock fee). Then signup again with at&t with a normal free phone. Lots of work but still a possibility.

19. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Just FYI. I was mad at myself for not getting my upgrade before buying my iPhone so I could sell it. Well today I was looking on my account and it still said I was eligible for an upgrade. I went ahead and ordered on of the almost free phones and everything went through just fine. So it seems like if you forgot to do this and already had a contract up for upgrade you are not too late.

20. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Me and my Dad bought him an iPhone on his existing AT&T Plan. It was very easy.

21. note235 macrumors 6502a

couldnt i do this?

cancel service
    keep the iphone
    go get a new contract
    go back home
    sell phone
    upgrade iphone?

and would i be eligible?
    i mean if im eligible for the pla

22. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

So what free phones are selling well on ebay?

23. JCluts macrumors newbie

New Samsung Syncs (locked to Cingular) seem to be selling well at around the $200 mark on eBay.

It's debatable how "new" the phone you get from AT&T is considered though. They'll probably at least have to unbox it to activate the phone. Any reasonable person would still consider it new though, if you immediately reboxed it.

Selling the $75 Blackjacks does sound like the better deal though. Where can those be found for $75?

24. redmeister macrumors 6502

don't go to the store to get them if you're an existing customer...... order online and it will come brand new in box to your door. voila. some phones even have other "online" discounts too.

25. note235 macrumors 6502a