did anyone say the hell with Applecare, i'll chance it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Oct 22, 2011.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I only get AppleCare on my Macs, not my iDevices

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i did with my OG Aluminum MacBook from late 2008. it was running fine until i sold it to my friend in March... and AFAIK, it's still working fine.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I did. I get a new iPhone every year so buying AC+ only gets me a $50 discount if I do break it.

5. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

I have never bought AC on an iPhone. I have it on my MBP and iMac though

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I get Apple care on my iMacs but never my iPhone. On my 3rd iPhone and never needed any warranty but if the worst happens, for $199 you get another phone!:D

7. Macsparky macrumors newbie

Yes I did, reason being Low Cash Flow..... After purchasing the iPhone 4S wiped my mad money out.... Would like to buy Applecare but they changed the plan so you can't purchase after you buy the iPhone.... Not happy with that move... But I have not had it on any of my gear and have been quite lucky I guess with no problems what so ever...Not saying that Applecare is a bad product I think it is quite good, but you should have a option, at the minimum at lest up 90 days after purchase. Many people like myself have a hard time coming up with extra cash in today's times, so to spread it out a little would help and I think Apple would have a chance to sell more Applecare if this was in place. The people that where in line with me, light day only 6 I was number 4 where unaware that you could only get it at point of purchase. I knew going in from reading here @ MacRumors. None the less they all refused the offer of Applecare and raised the question as why can't I buy later.... Maybe if the word gets out that lot's are unhappy they will make a change, only time will tell... :apple:

8. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's how I see it. The discount is not significant enough to make it worthwhile to me.

11. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I only get AC on laptops. I change phones way too often to spend half the cost of my phone on AC.

12. climber20 macrumors member

I never get the warranty on anything, ever. With all the money you save along the way by not buying warranties, if anything does break, you will have amassed more than enough cash to replace your gadget.

If I were accident prone or couldn't hold my liquor, then maybe I'd consider it. Over the course of my entire life, I have had one thing go wrong with my electronics (battery defect on my Macbook), and it was covered by the one year manufacturer's warranty.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Not a single person said no to apple care.

Seriously?

Next question...did anyone say no to a MacBook 17" when they bought their iPhone?

These questions get more granular and ridiculous every day. Hint. If you find yourself sitting around for 20 min trying to come up with something to post, just skip it. Go outside.

14. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Need clarification on this point.

I thought if one damages the phone and you did not have applecare+ you could buy another phone but it would be retail, not $199

Was told this by a Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint employee, if I did not have the insurance and broke the phone I would have to buy it again at retail since the first phone was locked into the original contract.

Thanks.....

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

That's an Apple thing, $199 for out of warranty, or not warranty covered replacement, so it wouldn't apply to your Samsung.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

[​IMG]

To hell with AppleCare, I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!

17. wellok, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

wellok macrumors 6502

I didn't get it. I have the Verizon insurance but have been meaning to look into Square Trade.

Nevermind, didn't realize ST doesn't cover loss/theft. Guess I'm stuck with Asurion TEC.

18. RipsMctits macrumors regular

If you preordered or bought it on release day, you have until November 14th to purchase AppleCare+.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A

19. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It is only an Apple thing. Apple takes your old device and refurbs it, then sells that to another person who broke their phone. With any other device a replacement will be ~$600-$700 because you don't get another subsidy.

I didn't go with Applecare, mainly because it will only save $50 if I actually break my phone, and will cost me $100 if I don't.

I have had 2 iPhones over the past 2 years and both were intact when I sold them (And I have dropped both of them, but I had some kind of case/bumper on them when that happened.)

I think if I bought Applecare I would be less careful with my phone, as I already paid for 2/3 of its replacement.

20. RipsMctits macrumors regular

The main reason I'm considering getting it is because I'm afraid they will no longer be doing the $200 out-of-warranty replacements. What do you guys think the likelihood of this is? I would never be able to afford a new iPhone at a non-subsidized price.

21. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Survivor case for my iPad 2
    Otterbox for my iPhone 4S

That's my apple care... If I break my devices with that amount of protection then Im a careless fool. Apple care is overrated.

22. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Thankss verwon. I don't have the Samsung any longer and looking into the iPhone 4s, and nice to know Apple does not require one to pay full retail if out of warranty

23. alanmcdonley macrumors newbie

Unless you live in Florida... Cannot buy Applecare+

Florida law prevents sale of protection plans over the phone.
    1) I pre-ordered but they said cannot sell you applecare+ you have to go into store.
    2) I went to the store in Florida with my phone, store mgr:"you bought it online, you have to get AppleCare+ onlline." [shows me website that says "pre-orders call xxx"
    3) Called the xxx. Got: "Call AT&T, they can sell it to you"
    4) AT&T: "no we had a phone conference 10/13. We can't sell AppleCare anymore"
    5) Called the xxx. "Get AT&T to reset your eligibility, return your phone, and buy it at the store. Since you've spent so much time on this, I'm going to refund your dock purchase price." (Was going to return them anyway...)
    6) Decided I'll take my chances.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

AppleCare, or AC+ for that matter, is pointless.
    Never had it on any product, and, oh wait, they all work fine and have never broken?!

AC+ seems like an ultra waste of money. Basically, you save $50 if you break it. Buying it is like you're sure you are going to break it. You may as well take your chances, and if you don't break it, that's $150 saved, and if you do, the $50 teaches you a lesson.

25. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Same here- no need to IMO, especially since I only keep it for one year.